PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Internet a Legal Right

Vampyr
10-15-2009, 11:52 AM
http://apcmag.com/finland-declares-1mbps-broadband-to-be-a-legal-right.htm

We can't even make up our minds about health care.

The Finnish government has decreed that all citizens will be entitled to at least a 1Mbps broadband connection by July next year, with a 100Mbps service mandatory by 2015.

There’s been plenty of talk in Australia and around the world over the argument for Internet as an essential service with a regulated minimum standard of service.

Finland decided to walk the talk this week, with the announcement that as of July next year all Finnish citizens will be entitled to at least 1Mbps broadband connection.

The tiny European nation – home to 5.3 million people, Nokia and an excellent mulled wine called Glögg – is believed to be first country in the world to pass laws making broadband access a legal right.

The country’s Ministry of Transport and Communications says that some exceptions will be permitted, for example in cases where connections are made over a 3G mobile phone network rather than a landline.

But in case you think 1Mbps is a bit on the slow side, just wait until 2015. That’s then Finland’s national broadband network comes online, with the guarantee of 100Mbps for every home and office within within 2km of a high-speed hub (except for around 2,000 dwellings in the furthest corners of the country).

And while 100Mbps will be the minimum service standard, it’s predicted that homes in the capital of Helsinki will enjoy connections around 1Gbps. Yes, you read that right - we’re talking about Gigabit broadband.

The national government will cover up to a third of the projected €200 million cost of the roll-out through a action of unused or under-utilised slices of the radio spectrum. Local municipal regions and telecom operators will pick up the rest of the tab.

manasecret
10-15-2009, 12:32 PM
First off just to get the facts straight -- looking at map to confirm -- although Finland is tiny population-wise, the landmass is pretty large even if most of the population is concentrated in larger cities. So while the logistics are easier than doing the same for the entire U.S., they're not as easy as the article implies with "tiny European nation". Finland isn't Malta.

As for the U.S., I see larger cities and smaller states doing practically the same thing soon, if some haven't already. And I'm sure as the years go on, it will trickle down to the smaller cities and towns, and become much like the water, gas, and power utilities are today.

Even then, I don't think there's any federal law stating the rights of citizens to clean water, electricity, roads, sewers, or anything else like those that we take for granted.

Professor S
10-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Ok, healthcare is one thing, but broadband? We're now talk about making a convenience a legal right? What about cell phones? Should we make them a legal right too?

Bube
10-15-2009, 01:14 PM
This is just an unbelievably huge thing. And here I am thinking that the $50 I'm going to pay every month for a 20Mbit connection is a good fee.

Ok, healthcare is one thing, but broadband? We're now talk about making a convenience a legal right? What about cell phones? Should we make them a legal right too?

I don't think the internet is in the same league as cell phones. The internet is much more than being convenient. A big part of life is internet-dependent, to be honest. Cell phones are much more of a convenience (although, of course, not for everybody).

And btw, we're talking about Finland, as the article points out, the home of Nokia, the world's biggest cell phone manufacturer. They're probably are a birth-right there :p

Professor S
10-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Well, the internet it still available to those who don't have broadband. There is dial-up and anyone who has a landline (a legal right) has access to it. I mention broadband as a convenience because it's a measurement of speed, not access.

As for it being Finland, I'm surprised they don't already have universal broadband being as small as that nation is.

Bond
10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Key:

The tiny European nation – home to 5.3 million people

These sorts of things are much easier to accomplish in small, homogeneous countries.

Vampyr
10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Key:

These sorts of things are much easier to accomplish in small, homogeneous countries.

It doesn't matter - it's the principle of it. Government funds are being used to pave the way for everyone to have internet of a decent speed.

Do you believe, no matter how easy it would be to do, that that would go over very well here? People can't even come to terms with the fact that their money will be used to pay for someone else's healthcare.

KillerGremlin
10-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Dial Up is unusable in this day of age.

When you think about laying broadband, why not do it like this? Look at the United States, we have some of the worst Internet service in the world. Wasn't there a huge push to lay telephone lines across the country? The Internet has become the number one method of information exchange. It promotes education, schools use it (an email and Internet connection is pretty much mandatory for college, high school, and even middle school, and the alternative is a public library).

My only concern with getting the Government involved with Internet is the lack of privacy and censorship. At least in America you can buy broadband from companies that are loyal to their customers; well, except for Comcast. And they have a monopoly on a large portion of the country. But then, even with privatized ISPs, the gov can still subpoena users and regulate the Internet. It's scary stuff.

The Internet is going to be the future intellectual and consumerism battle grounds. Don't be surprised if it is 100% different in 20 years.

Bond
10-15-2009, 08:53 PM
It doesn't matter - it's the principle of it. Government funds are being used to pave the way for everyone to have internet of a decent speed.

Do you believe, no matter how easy it would be to do, that that would go over very well here? People can't even come to terms with the fact that their money will be used to pay for someone else's healthcare.
My comment was more from a policy sense. You could certainly argue the principle of citizens being entitled to broadband, but pragmatically it is much easier to accomplish in a country such as Finland than the United States. But, I see your point.