PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone deals?

Jason1
09-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Im finally seirously considering getting a cell phone. Ive held off so long mainly because I know I wouldnt really use it enough to get my money's worth out of it, but my mom now thinks it might be a good idea with me gone more and whatnot. But anywho if im going to get one, I want to make sure it does text messaging. I really like this one from T-mobile:

http://www.tmobile.com/images/promos/phone_6800_angled.gif

The thing is, im seirously considering getting a pre-paid phone. But I want to make sure it still does text messaging. Id like to maybe have a pre-paid phone, but maybe pay like 9.99 a month for unlimited text messaging or something along those lines. That would be absolutley ideal. If anyone knows any slick deals like that, or any other slick deals on cell phones, please let me know.

Thank you.

MasterMind
09-23-2004, 08:48 PM
If you're a new customer, most cell phone companies will give you some cool deals. You'll get free services and sometimes free phones, or rebates. It all depends on what kind of phone you want. Oh yeah, except they usually require contracts.

Phones are getting so friggin expensive these days. My phone's screen crapped out on me, and I don't want to pay $200+ for a phone, but I don't want to switch over to some new company and sign some friggin contract. I just want a phone so I can call people and people can call me. I don't need to pay extra money just so I can use the internet with my phone, or send pictures, cause I could care less. My carrier, Sprint. They need better deals for existing customers. Why do I have to sign a new two year contract just to get some rebates? I've been a customer for four years, just me a break on a new phone damnit. I've already got a plan I like, cheap and enough minutes for me, I don't need this Vision crap and a new contract thats $15 more for **** that I don't want.

Sorry....just venting a little. Don't want to spend a grip load on a new phone. Can't justify it yet.

Jason1
09-23-2004, 11:20 PM
Hearing people talk like that is exactly the reason Im still heasitent to get one. I dont want to sign a contract for a phone that I wont even use a whole lot. Which is why the pre-paid thing intrests me.

dropCGCF
09-23-2004, 11:22 PM
Texting is useless. Some of my friends have had phone bills in excess of 2000 dollars just from text.

thatmariolover
09-24-2004, 12:40 AM
Texting is useless. Some of my friends have had phone bills in excess of 2000 dollars just from text.

See now, my mobile provider rules. Even though I don't have a plan for texting I get unlimited incoming text messages for free and I only pay five cents for every text message I send.

I personally would dissuade people from T-Mobile if they want it for text messaging though. Their service blocks all text messages from people not using T-Mobile. Although they will send text messages to non-T-Mobile users.

I really like the LG VX4400 phone. I payed $100 for mine with a one-year contract. I then paid $22 bucks at RadioShack for the cord to hook it up to my PC and now I send games, midi ringtones, update the scheduler program, and set new background images for it. It doesn't have a camera in it though, if that's what you're looking for.

Bond
09-24-2004, 05:14 PM
Cell phones = status symbol.

Typhoid
09-24-2004, 05:18 PM
Yeah, Cells are like....i dont know, its hard to explain. You dont really want one, but your compelled to it. Texting is pointless thouhg, i mean...your writing someone a message, from a device where you can call then just as easy, if not easier, and cheaper.

Im getting a cell soon. And i dont know why. Mainly its my parents idea, so they know where I am when i leave and stuff. So this way i cant hid or anything from the, and if im out late they could just call and see where I am. Im not saying i DONT want one, im saying i dont know why i want one.

But am still getting one.

GameMaster
09-24-2004, 05:39 PM
I have one just to keep in contact with my mom. I only use it for that and checking the time. I like using it instead of a watch.

MasterMind
09-24-2004, 05:49 PM
Cell phones will come in handy. Wheter you need it or not, once you have one, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want to go back to not having one. Sometimes its just nice that you have a phone in case of emergencies, or in unexpected cases where you can call people if you like.

Jason1
09-24-2004, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all the personal stories here, but your missing the point:

Im looking for deals guys...

MasterMind
09-24-2004, 10:23 PM
Sorry bout that. You want cool deals? Hit the mall and go visit all those phone stands. I'm sure you'll find some cool deals there. Are you looking at any specific carriers or do you not care?

Classic Rocker
09-25-2004, 09:50 AM
The mall would be your best bet to look. I'm no cell phone salesman so I can't point you to a hot deal, but I'm sure somebody can. Just don't get ripped off.

Jason1
09-25-2004, 02:13 PM
Sorry bout that. You want cool deals? Hit the mall and go visit all those phone stands. I'm sure you'll find some cool deals there. Are you looking at any specific carriers or do you not care?

I dont really care all that much...I do know that motorola dosent have the greatest network in the world because my uncle's phone sometimes wont work at certion places...but thats about all I know...

Any bad/good providers I should know about?