GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Movies & Television (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=209)
-   -   Last movies you saw (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17099)

The Germanator 06-23-2009 09:55 AM

Re: Last movies you saw

I watched "The Fountain" by Darren Aronofsky, the film he did before The Wrestler. It's a pretty epic film, with three narratives told 1000's of years apart, though it's surprisingly still only 90 minutes long.

Anyway, visually it's brilliant and acted very well, but the story is slightly muddy. It leaves a lot up for interpretation (on purpose I think) which is fine, but never fully delivers on that and ends up being slightly confusing. Anyway, it's a a great romance and pretty sad at times. 7/10

Seth 06-23-2009 04:37 PM

Yes, 'The Fountain' was whack. I kinda want to watch it again because I forget what the deal was. What was with the tree of life? It put me to sleep the first time though

I just watched On Her Majesty's Secret Service

I liked the part when she dodged in on the ice rally and just totally beats to shit all the other cars, and the drivers are just like, 'meh, shit happens in a race' written on their face.
ending was bleak. I didn't mind George Lazenby as Bond.

Typhoid 06-23-2009 04:48 PM

I watched Gran Torino yesterday, and honestly thought it was one of the best character development movies I've ever seen.

His acting overshadowed everyone by far, and at times the acting by the other actors was painful if not blinding, but it was still a great movie.

I didn't like it for the typical reason of people saying "He's so fucking hardcore" blah blah, rather it shows an old man realizing his mortality and coming to terms with his life.

*spoiler*

My three favourite parts in the movie, was when he has Tao working for him, and instead of getting him to work on his house, he uses that opportunity to passively help someone else out.

The scene when they're in the barber shop and he's teaching him "How men talk" - and lastly, the ending of the movie.

Angrist 06-23-2009 05:57 PM

Juno. 8/10.

Typhoid 06-23-2009 06:54 PM

I just watched Taken (I'm really sick so I have a ton of free time) and I thought it was a pretty great movie actually. Sort of bone-chilling in the thought of something like that actually happening, and completely crushingly sad if you imagine yourself in his position - yet ultimately an awesome movie.

BreakABone 06-23-2009 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoid (Post 253425)
I just watched Taken (I'm really sick so I have a ton of free time) and I thought it was a pretty great movie actually. Sort of bone-chilling in the thought of something like that actually happening, and completely crushingly sad if you imagine yourself in his position - yet ultimately an awesome movie.

Helps that Liam Nesson is a bad-ass, but yeah I agree, awesome movie.

Teuthida 06-23-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Germanator (Post 253395)
I watched "The Fountain" by Darren Aronofsky, the film he did before The Wrestler. It's a pretty epic film, with three narratives told 1000's of years apart, though it's surprisingly still only 90 minutes long.

Anyway, visually it's brilliant and acted very well, but the story is slightly muddy. It leaves a lot up for interpretation (on purpose I think) which is fine, but never fully delivers on that and ends up being slightly confusing. Anyway, it's a a great romance and pretty sad at times. 7/10

I had really wanted to see this movie before it came out but I somehow forgot about it.

You reminded me of it and just watched.

Loved it. Now I have to decide what sort of tree I want to become part of when I die.

Think I shall read the graphic novel and see what it expands upon.

Ric 06-23-2009 11:22 PM

Quote:

(I'm really sick so I have a ton of free time

Have you got Typhoid? :lol:

Titan A.E - watched this for the first time today, I have actually wanted to see it for years but only just got round to it. I am glad I watched it too, I thought it was pretty good.

*SPOILER*

He called the planet Bob :lol:

*END SPOILER*

Teuthida 06-24-2009 08:11 AM

Infernal Affairs

Very good of course. Now to watch the sequel, prequel, and The Departed.

KillerGremlin 06-24-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakABone (Post 253426)
Helps that Liam Nesson is a bad-ass, but yeah I agree, awesome movie.

You guys are weird. I mean I enjoyed Taken but I thought it had some obvious shortcomings, and Liam Nesson would have been way more badass if he had a light saber.

For a mindless revenge movie I'd say it was pretty average.

Seth 06-24-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

I just watched Taken (I'm really sick so I have a ton of free time)

I'm sick too. Free time here here

I saw Public Enemy N1 and Mesrine Part 2. L'instinct de Mort and L'ennemi public n1 respectively, directed by Jean-Francois Richet.
Was violent. Entertained but didn't really do enough for character development....which is crucial in a epic recount of a famous criminal's life, such as Jacques Mesrine's. Too long.

Ric 06-24-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth (Post 253483)
I'm sick too. Free time here here

:errr: Typhoid is spreading his typhoid to fellow GT members. :uhh:

Just watched one of my favourite movies, I was obsessed with this film as a kid. Convoy starring Kris Kristofferson as 'The Rubber Duck' leads a massive convoy of trucks across the U.S

With a kick ass song to boot -

Angrist 06-24-2009 02:43 PM

Ratatouille, 8/10.

Seth 06-25-2009 01:01 AM

Brother(2000) Japanese Yakuza flick. decent but a little f'd.

Barton Fink Not my favourite Coen movie, hoping Miller's Crossing will more deliver as a period piece. Not that Barton Fink was bad at all, the flames just didn't work imo.

Rambo(2008) Mindless violence. Christian altruistic overtones with bloodlust entertainment? But is violence necessary? defense of the helpless a duty? These questions and more 'examined' as about a million burmese get shredded by Rambo n Co. I've never seen a rambo movie so I don't have anything to compare it to. atleast it didn't tarry longer than it should all things considered.

Azumi(2003) More violence but this is a ninja samurai 2+ hour bloodbath. Kind of like Shogun Assassin but more anime-ish. Azumi was super cute.

I watched too many movies today I think.

Teuthida 06-25-2009 02:01 AM

Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea

Very cute movie in the same vein of The Little Mermaid but with five years olds. Miyazaki does children so well. Looked and felt more like one of his movies from the 80s than anything he's done recently. Well, had a bit of a Howl's Moving Castle vibe with the magician. Probably the closest to My Neighbor Totoro, which is my favorite of his films.