GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Getting GBA SP? (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4383)

GameMaster 01-12-2003 10:47 PM

Getting GBA SP?

I am even though I just recently bought a regular GBA. I'll use the SP for taking places since it's screen is protected with fold up technology. I also want the convience of a backlit screen.

GameKinG 01-12-2003 11:12 PM

Yes. Dont have a GBA yet.

Dyne 01-13-2003 01:16 AM

No. Too expensive, and I have a perfectly fine one anyways. Besides, I don't play many games on the road. I'll play them in the comfort of my home on either the Game Boy Player or my GBA. :)

It's a neat gadget, don't get me wrong, but you can buy 3 GBA games for the price. My Nyko Light work fine on my GBA.

Yoda9864 01-13-2003 04:13 AM

Yeah, I'll end up getting it. It's so annoying when you want to play at night, namely if your family is driving home from your relatives that live 3 hours away. The worm lights just don't cut it IMO.

Jonbo298 01-13-2003 09:31 PM

I've held off on getting a GBA for almost too long. But now that SP is coming and its frontlit and doesn't require AA batteries, its just become the greatest handheld out there!:D I will mainly use it for when I am not home. When I am home, I will use the GBA Player while my battery recharges:D hmmm....now that I think about it...;) Nintendo must have thought of this all along. If little Billy doesnt want to wait 3 hours to play his GBA SP, he can use his GBA Player to continue the adventure!:D Damn am I a genius:D

Jason1 01-13-2003 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jonbo298
I've held off on getting a GBA for almost too long. But now that SP is coming and its frontlit and doesn't require AA batteries, its just become the greatest handheld out there!:D I will mainly use it for when I am not home. When I am home, I will use the GBA Player while my battery recharges:D hmmm....now that I think about it...;) Nintendo must have thought of this all along. If little Billy doesnt want to wait 3 hours to play his GBA SP, he can use his GBA Player to continue the adventure!:D Damn am I a genius:D
I dont see why everyone is creaming themselves over technology that has been around for 20 YEARS. My parents recently threw away rechargeable batteries and a charger that was copyrighted 1985. Rechargeable batteries are NOTHING. Just go out and buy some AA rechargeables and a charger for under 30 bucks. And the back light should've been there in the first place. This is in no way an update to the GBA, its simply a realization by nintendo of some **** they should've thought about a long time ago.

Jonbo298 01-13-2003 10:40 PM

I know that rechargeable batteries aren't new. Its just that Nintendo has almost finally perfected the GBA. And that is what I like. Nintendo was probably still deciding how to solve the big problems with the original GBA. Imagine if Nintendo was just now releasing the GBA SP and its the newest handheld. Most of you would probably say something like-damn, took Nintendo long enough to release a new handheld! The original was basically something to hold consumers over until Nintendo could perfect the technology. But thats just my rant about it.

BlueFire 01-14-2003 08:46 PM

Nope. I have a GBA.

Crono 01-14-2003 09:02 PM

Honestly I don't see the point. I will just get the GBA Player for my GCN, I'd rather play it on the big screen and I don't play games on the road.

Jason1 01-15-2003 04:08 PM

Dont get me wrong, this will be PERFECT for playing in places besides you home, should be easy to see any ANY conditions. But this should've been done in the first place, we all know it could have been done a year or so ago or whatever it was when GBA came out. And it should've been done.

DimHalo 01-15-2003 09:46 PM

No, i'm not getting one.
1. I already have a GBA with a really good light.
2. It's too pricey for something they should have done in the first place.
3. I don't play my GBA enough for it to be worth it.

BigJustinW 01-17-2003 12:17 PM

I think I'm gonna get one... depending on how many "big" console games I will purchase around that time.

Shadow_Link 01-17-2003 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jason1
Dont get me wrong, this will be PERFECT for playing in places besides you home, should be easy to see any ANY conditions. But this should've been done in the first place, we all know it could have been done a year or so ago or whatever it was when GBA came out. And it should've been done.
But the fact is it WASN'T done in the first place. A newer, better GBA has been released, and I intend on buying it too. I COULD get recharagables for my current GBA, but I have no light, and I hate add ons, let alone having to open one up just to fit an after burner. To me, it doesn;t matter why this wasn't released in the first place, it just matters that it's out now :D.

I'll be picking this up along with a GBP.

GameMaster 01-17-2003 10:05 PM

I completley agree with Shadow Link's take on this whole issue. Some of you guys are so fixed on how it wasn't released originally instead of the current one but theres nothing we can about that so why dwell on it? Be happy.

PureEvil 01-18-2003 12:51 AM

Nah.

I barely play my GBA as it is (I haven't touched it in months). This would be little more than a waste of money for me. I like the new look, but that hardly makes it worth my while to pick one up. Maybe I'll go buy a cellphone.

Joeiss 01-18-2003 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by PureEvil
Nah.

I barely play my GBA as it is (I haven't touched it in months). This would be little more than a waste of money for me. I like the new look, but that hardly makes it worth my while to pick one up. Maybe I'll go buy a cellphone.

Agreed.

Cyrax9 01-21-2003 01:01 AM

I'll be getting the GBA SP and the GBP when they come out, I have tow GBA's but I NEED the Afterburner, and I LOVER the Li-Ion battery idea.

Also 10 hours with the Afterburner on is the same as the GBC and the last time I checked 18 hours with it off is more than 15 on the current GBA.

I don't like the Current GBA's "Shape' it hurts my hands, this GBA SP looks more like the GBC Shape-wise and this will be a welcome change for me, I'll have both systems n "Platinum" when they come out andi can't wait ot truy "Zelda: A Link ot the Past" on the GBA SP and the GBP.

I'm looking forward to the new GBA and I'm glad that we finally have a fr*gg*n' light!

Storm Eagle 02-04-2003 09:04 PM

Re: Getting GBA SP?

Quote:

Originally posted by GameMaster
I am even though I just recently bought a regular GBA. I'll use the SP for taking places since it's screen is protected with fold up technology. I also want the convience of a backlit screen.
That's the exact same reason I'm contemplating getting one. I probably shouldn't, but knowing me, I'll end up doing it anyway.

bobcat 02-05-2003 12:59 AM

I probably will. And I'll give the GBA to one of my mates or my brother.

But it should have been done a long time ago. Quite arrogant, but hey it's Nintendo. They wanna make as much money as they can, just like any other company.

Ridley 02-09-2003 04:02 PM

Yes, I'm definitely getting a GBA SP because I'll actually be able to see the screen now. :D

*thinks back to the horrors of the original GB screen*

*shudders*

Jason1 02-09-2003 04:16 PM

the screen on the Gameboy Color wasnt that bad...it never scratched, and didnt really need much light to play. The GBA's screen, on the other hand, seemd like a step down. Needed a lot of light, and scratches easily.

Ridley 02-09-2003 11:38 PM

Well GBC's was better than the previous models, but you still needed a good light source in order to see things well. At least I did anyways.....

:p

Shimmy 02-23-2003 06:02 PM

im getting it it looks god sounds grate and is small

GameMaster 02-24-2003 12:01 AM

NYGiant 02-26-2003 04:58 PM

Hell Yeah!

Cyrax9 03-03-2003 01:07 AM

Ok, I have a problem with my first GBAm an Arctic "White'a GBA, it's called POOR VISIBILITY!!

I seriosuly can NOT see the damn thing! It drives me insane and I've died in "A link to the past" one too many times form a "Stupid Mistake" ebcause I can't see, even with the brightness turned up all the way, aslo GBC games have a much "DARKER" tint to them and that annoys me.

Now that GBA used one of the "Sharp" screens, my Platinum Edition GBA, the second one I bought, uses a "nicer' Panasonic Screen, but still suffers from poor lighiting sitiuations and is a No-Go at night, this is why I'm getting the Platinum GBA SP, the Afterburner and the fatc that I won't need to invest any mmoney in "Energizer" or "Duracell" stock because I'm going through Alkaline batteries like I go through water, just plug it in and recharge, the downside is the "Headphone Adapter" but that should be a cheap $5.00 at the most, and I rarely use headphones anyway, however I ALWAYS use Alakaline Batteries so the Li-Ion thing is a big plus for me.

Add in that afterbruner and the "proected" screen and things are great in every way. I had a friend who put his GBC in his kid-brother's Diaper bag during a trip to Disney, he got there, went to play it and had punctured the LCD, IT WA SIN A FRIGGIN' DIAPER BAG!! There was nothing SHARP in there!! That's the problem with GB's today, the LCDs are too easy to puncture and I might need a new "Screen OCver" for my GBA, I'm currently keeping it in the box, but it's still a pain to cart around the GBA Box like it was shoplifted because I need to "Protect" the LCD, weith the GBA SP, I can have a pocket Knife on top of the thing and it shouldn't puncture the LCD as long as the lid is down (obviously!).

I probably won't get one at luanch but I will buy a GBA SP, and I'm looking forward too the GB Player as well, which I'll probably buy first, hopefully in Platinum Silver to match my GCN, then I'll nab a GBA SP, it's too cool to pass up, and I keep eharing friends admit they'd play GBA in public if it looked more "Mature' the way the GBA SP does, perhaps looks do count in this case, but my primary reason is the afterburner and the Li-Ion battery, why waste a ton of Energizers and have to keep a light-source nearby when you can just recharge the battery and turnon the afterburner when it's dark?

I think the GBA SP is something Gunpei Yokoi himself would be proud of, if only the guy was still alive, he created the greatest gaming device in history and it was rumored that when the DMG Game Boy (The original) came out, a group of ANGRY, MAD LOUD, Sony executives got REALLY PISSED that Nintendo had beaten them to the handheld market and fired everyone working on their "Portable game system" that nerev saw the light of day, this was beforer the PSX, and even before the SNES though so it may have bene a good thing.

Now we know that Sony's firt Portable cosole was a flop in Japan, and their rumored to be working on a "new" Portabel console trhat won't run on Minidisks or MIcro-CD/DVD's but, rather Cartirdges, just liek the GBA! Now I don't know about you gusy, but I'm not sure how well Sony knowns the Cartirdge Department, after all, it was their CD's that killed the N64's carts, and I don't think they'd had too much experiance with carts at Sony, even if they are the "kingof handhelds" as they seem to think.

I wonder if Iwata's message about a "New Console war" and the release of all this GBA stuff now, the GBA SP,a nd the GB Player are becuase he suspects SOny may actually be developing this rumorued handheld and he doesn't want to lose the one market Nintendo holds the way Microsoft holds PC operating systems.

If SOny does make a handheld, it'll be interesting to see if this one makes it out of Japan, or if it's worth sticking next to the Wonderswan Color form BanDai in the category of "Nice try, but no Game Boy pal".

The last system that even LOOKED like it COULD give the big "N: a run for thier money was something developed in "South Korea" and it never made it stateside, weather our relations with South Korea latley are what had the final say, or the system being por, I don't know, but right now Nintendoowns the Handheld market as far as gaming goes.

Here's some food for thought: In World War II, the Japanese were our enemy (One of the three Axis powers for you non-historians who haven't studied that tragedy yet or who lsleep during history class), if something happened to cause "bad blood" between the USA and Japan today, do you think it'd hurt the Video Game market, especially the handheld market which is domniated bya Japanese company?

This is purley a "What if" scenario, but I think if the USA and Japan ever went the way the USA and France are now, we'd ahve aHUGE loss of Video gaming equipment, possibly worse than Atari's fisasco, and just as many American's are now avoiding French Wines and French Cheese, I think US consumers, who have a High Respect for Japanese elcetronics would stop using anything made in Japan,including Sony TV's/VCRs/DVD players and game consoles, it almost makes you think, war is bad for the economy anyway, but what would it do to the Handheld gaming market, especially to Game Boy fans?

That might be worth a new post, but I just had to say what I was thinking there, I'm against a war on Iraq without UN backing for the USA, but if we can get the UN to back us up, then I say they shouyld be disarmed ASAP, we already know there seems to be a "fued" between the US and France on this, but the "What If" I'm thinking of is probably more detrimental to the USA's electronics imports than any other war-scenario. I'm glad Japan is our ally, because if I remerb correctly, all Naval Vessels now carry a GCN, PS2 ro Xbox on board, soldiars bring electronics from Japan to the barracks (yes Cam that includes you!) and the Majority of electroncis in the USA are made in Japan or by Japanese companies, I think we have one ally there that we need to keep, if only for the fact that if it's not "Made in Japan", and it's sold in the USA, there are four other palces it's manufatured in, China, Canada, Mexico, and Korea. Now I have nothing against China, Canada, Mexico and SOUTH Korea (yet), but these countries aren't exactly electonics experts the way Japn is, China and Mexico both have Cheap Labor, and usually Cheap Quality as well, Canada is almost like saying "Made in the USA" althought the quality is slightly better and the equipment more expensive, but anything "Made in Korea" raises suspiciion these days, I think we need to keep Japan on our side, if only for the fact that we rely n theri game consoles too entertain our soldiars.

But anyway, the GBA SP is a fine device, and I can't wait to get my hands on one. I'll probably give "Zelda; A Link ot the Past" a few runs in it before anything else.

BlueFire 05-12-2016 08:05 PM

^ omg

Angrist 05-13-2016 04:46 PM

I'm not sure. I already have 3 GBAs lying around, 2 of which are SPs. I'm not sure I need another GBA, but I'll think about it. It would be nice for Four Swords Adventures and F-Zero Maximum Velocity multiplayer.

Zen 05-13-2016 10:21 PM

I recently got two GBA SP. One for me and one for the wife, Pokemon fire red and leaf green. Oh yeah!

Jason1 05-31-2016 09:54 PM

Did we just go back in time to 2003?

BlueFire 06-03-2016 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason1 (Post 286461)
Did we just go back in time to 2003?

That would be pretty sweet.

Ginkasa 06-05-2016 08:43 PM

I never got a SP back when they were new. I wasn't quite old enough for a job, so just getting the original GBA was quite enough for my parents. Even if I did have a job, I doubt I would have wasted money on a system that could only play games that I could already play with the system I already had.

Fast forward some years and I lost track of my GBA, but that was only because I had purchased a Game Boy Player add on for the GCN (playing GB games on the TV being a much better incentive than just a backlight). Alas, that GCN and GBP were stolen (along with everything else) in the Great Apartment Burglary of 2009. In light of the everything else I needed to replace, replacing an outdated handheld wasn't a priority (and, anyway, I still had my DS).

That was until a few years I wanted to play a GBA game and found that my DS was no longer working (being that I used my 3DS for any DS game I wanted to playand babies getting ahold of the DS and me not caring because I had my 3DS to play my DS games if I choose - forgetting the eventuality of wanting some GBA nostalgia). It was then, nigh on a decade later, that I purchased a (used) GBA SP.

I did not respond to this poll in 2003. I doubtlessly would have clicked on "no" with the full intention of that being the truth. With the hindsight gained from the years, however, I must concede that I did purchase a GBA SP and will retroactively vote for "yes."

BlueFire 06-07-2016 12:21 PM

Thank you for that touching story.

Angrist 06-09-2016 05:14 PM

What kind of lowlife burglar steals a GameCube and a GameBoy Pocket???
"Hey, my kid will be so proud of his daddy if I steal him a few Nintendo's."

Seth 06-12-2016 08:59 PM

Don't fuck around with my gameboy or I'll boost you

I loved my SP

Ginkasa 06-17-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angrist (Post 286467)
What kind of lowlife burglar steals a GameCube and a GameBoy Pocket???
"Hey, my kid will be so proud of his daddy if I steal him a few Nintendo's."

Not only that, but they took make pillows cases, too; presumably so they could make off with even more loot. And to make it worse, I had spent the WHOLE DAY thinking about how I would get to play me some Fallout 3 when I got home and was not able to. Because it was gone.