GameTavern

GameTavern (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/index.php)
-   Video Gaming (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Fav. Game Genres? (http://www.gametavern.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3715)

Crono 11-05-2002 05:18 PM

Fav. Game Genres?

Well, I'd like everyone to post their favourite and least favourite game genres (it's just like a little poll thingy)...Also, post why you like or dislike that particular genre. And...post some of your fav. games of that genre (or in the dislike genre, list the games you dislike)

Favourite
RPGs - All of my fav. games of all time are RPGs. The reason is simple. RPGs almost always have great characters, wonderful storylines, memorable scenes, etc. I love games with lots of dialouge and character improvement, and how characters interact with their world. I dunno why, ever since playing my first RPG (Final Fantasy 4/2 on SNES), I was hooked. I also tend to like games that move at a slower pace...and I also like games that are single player..

My Fav. RPGs:
- Breath Of Fire III
- Chrono Trigger
- Chrono Cross
- Suikoden III
- Final Fantasy VII
- Secret Of Mana
- Seiken Densetsu 3
...and soon Kingdom Hearts will be added to that list. If any of you ever play any of these games, you will understand why I love RPGs so much.

anyway...

Least Favourite
Hmm...I'll have to go with FPS's. For one, I don't like the fast paced killing. And like I said, I love games with great stories and character development. And guess what? Most FPS's tend to lack majorly in this department.

FPS's that I dislike:
- Perfect Dark
- Time Splitters 2
- Goldeneye 007 (I enjoyed it for a BIT, then got real tired of it soon after)
- Half Life
...and pretty much any other FPS. Goldeneye 007 was the first (and only) FPS that I bought. After that, I learned my lesson to never buy another.

Perfect Stu 11-05-2002 05:25 PM

RPGs just don't do it for me in the gameplay department. They're great games to experience, but the actual button-pressing leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion. Of course Kingdom Hearts is an exception, with the battles being action-based.

My favourite genre...hmm...I have no idea

I like so many different kinds of games, it's hard to decide.

I mean my current favourites are: GTA Vice City, SOCOM, Kingdom Hearts, Madden 2003 and Tony Hawk 4. LOL, try to pick one genre out of those games ;)

Sports, Action/Adventure games are my favourites I guess?

BlueFire 11-05-2002 05:43 PM

Favorite genre:

RPG

Favorite RPGs:

Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger
Kingdom Hearts
Final Fantasy VII-IX
Seiken Densetsu III
Probably Suikoden III this Christmas

least favorite genre is Sports :p

Jason1 11-05-2002 06:45 PM

It is so hard to single it down to a single genre, becuase I there are really great games in pretty much every Genre...

After much thought, I have to go with the...

Platform.

Mainly because it has remained consistent throughout the years...Platformers, if made correctly, can be just as good in 3D, if not better, than in 2D. They have just always been my favorite overall.

DarkMaster 11-05-2002 07:53 PM

Fav Genre:

RPG

Fav RPGs: (in no sepcific order)

Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger
FF7-10
Kingomd Hearts
Suikoden 3
Xenogears
Legend of Legaia
Legend of Dragoon
Dark Cloud
Legaia 2: Duel Saga (from wut i played of it)

Least Fav Genre:

Sports

i kinda like some extreme sports games, but other than that i hate them.

CrOnO_LiNk 11-06-2002 06:52 PM

Favorite genre:

RPG

Favorite RPGs:

Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
FF3/6
FF7
FF8
FF9
FF10
FFT