Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #311
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylflon View Post
The zombies don't do as much moaning as you guys, that's for sure.

I probably won't keep reading this thread since it's populated by a bunch of negative nancies who expect the show to fulfill all of their expectations and preconceptions.
I with this forum had a "like" button. The show is a good show, which is shown by the ratings, and everyone's CONTINUED choice to keep watching even though all we do is seem to complain. If we choose to complain, that means we care about the show. The only real negative the show has right now is that it is viewed largely by internet hyper-nerds who find more pleasure in tearing it down than giving it the credit it deserves (and no, I'm not talking about us. We're kind compared to some). Yes, I've been critical, but since the end of the first half of this season I don't see a whole lot to intensely criticize.

1) No point in comparing this to the comic. As shown with last night's episode, they are not following the exact plot from the books. If you let go of the comics when watching, you'll get a lot more enjoyment.

2) These main characters are archetypes at this point. So many of them that they need to fit roles, or aspects of humanity, rather than be full fledged characters unto themselves. None of them are well fleshed out, because each one is a part of a whole.

To the feminist argument: During an apocalypse the academic ideal of what we should be disappears. We become who we are. No one is really thinking about being a role model. They are trying to survive and find any kind of comfort wherever they can so they don't go insane. If you are a mother you might retreat to your role as a provider to your husband and son. If you are a woman who lost everything, you may become attached to the "alpha male" and learn how to sharp shoot. If you are a young woman trapped on a farm you may find comfort in banging a small asian boy in a pharmacy. If anything, I think the female characters are far more nuanced than their male counterparts.