Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Old 03-04-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Default Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post

This really feels like a classic Nintendo game where you learn by doing and experimenting. At one point I read a guys diary, and I knew I needed to do something in order to get an item from him, but it wasn't exactly spelled out how to do it. There were no quest markers or log entries, it was just a puzzle I had to figure out. And actually, when I think about it, I don't even believe I -had- to do it. There were alternative ways to do what I needed without acquiring that item.
I agree with everything you said. Its crazy how open ended it is compared to past Zelda games, and how little hand holding there is so far. I know exactly what your talking about there with that diary. I saw that diary, didnt know how to figure it out, but I managed to cook an elixer that gave me the temporary stat boost I needed to reach the area I needed to get to. Who knows if I will ever even get that item from him? Maybe I will later in the game? The combat is also much more difficult so far...I have actually died a few times already and im only maybe 3 hours in. They dont even really explain cooking AT ALL. I mean they tell you what it is and that cooking can boost an items effect or create new items. But they dont even tell you how to do in in the menu's, there is no "go to this menu, select these 2 items" tutorial at all. I was kind of shocked, seems to me this is not a game that a young child will get very far in. Maybe kids are smarter these days though?

Im playing on Wii U. There are framerate issues here and there, especially in Kakariko Village, but so far nothing that has really affected gameplay. Im wondering if those framerate issues are also present in the Switch version?