View Single Post

Re: Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe
Old 08-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #15
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Re: Gore isn't quite as green as he's led the world to believe

Quote:
Tell that to the car companies who use their hybrid's MPG as the main marketing tool and conveniently never mention the increased maintenance cost. Whether or not its more economical is irrelevant. People are buying those cars because they think its more economical and the superior feeling of "doing the right thing" is just an added bonus along with fear of the middle east. People vote and purchase with their wallets, not their good intentions. And in the end, its better for the environment.
I was confused because it appeared that you were saying that capitalism and the environment are self-correcting mechanisms. In other words, oil prices are reacting to global temperatures which is driving us to create more fuel-efficient cars. I now know that's not what you meant to say, but it seemed to be what you were driving at. We both know that global warming doesn't have all that much to do with the price of oil. And I certainly agree that gas prices have a lot to do with the current popularity of hybrid cars. I wasn't trying to debunk anything you said. I merely wanted to clarify.

Quote:
Oh could you delve into it? My my, thank you for taking the HIGH ROAD by NOT delving into it... oh wait... you just did (talk about passive-agressive). I quoted the author because the science was valid. There were a whole lot of articles that weren't, so I didnlt meantion them. Any comment about the professor from MIT I quoted, and how he is a stooge for Karl Rove and Big Oil? Or does he touch puppies in naughty places?

You do a wonderful job of saying a whole lot without ever taking credit for saying anything at all.
Your hostility is not called for at all. Yes, I did say that he is a paid advocate of Philip Morris and ExxonMobil. Those are documented facts. I also said that he has science degrees from Johns Hopkins and a law degree from Georgetown and that he's far from clueless about what he's talking about. So I must be passive-aggressively trying to imply that he's a right wing shill, eh? Maybe I just mean exactly what I say: his background and credentials have nothing to do with the validity of what he says. That's it. I can understand how you got the impression you did, but considering how offended you often get whenever I imply that you're a right wing reactionary, I find that you're pretty quick to jump to similar conclusions about me.

As a matter of fact, I have been researching Steven Milloy's article and have been preparing a response to his article. I haven't posted it until now because he has written a lot and there's a lot of evidence to go through. I hope to get a post up some time tomorrow. There are significant rebuttals to a lot of what he claims, and although I'm certainly no expert in the field, I think they are at least as worthy of consideration as his own article. And no, I don't have anything to say in detail about what the MIT professor said. I haven't gotten around to it yet because I'm still working on Milloy's article.

Now, why don't you take your golden baseball bat and go work out your stress on a newbie's head for a while?

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed