View Single Post

Old 11-10-2002, 01:47 AM   #15
D-realJos
OrioN

Now Playing: With my nutz!
Exclamation

The Game
"That link has not changed my opinion... and the horrible controlls of the demo (imo) solidified that I'm not going to buy this game."

Not that I care if you buy the game or not, but I just felt like commenting. Besides, it's time I get on your case like you've always been on mine.

Horrible controlls are those that hamper a game, get into the way of gameplay, and make the game occasionally unplayable by it's own nature. Not the nature of another game, it's OWN nature.

Would the controlls hamper Halo? You bet!
Hamper Golden eye? Yes
Hamper ANY FPS? absolutely.

Metroid Prime on the other hand, plays differently, it's controlls exploit and revolve around the nature of the game. You wouldn't be rushing through MP looking to claim or dodge head short, I believe.

So, will the controlls hamper the game. NO! (well, not unless retardation is a factor)

I've seen numerous videos, where various players were ripping through the game, battling enemies, aiming, jumping and what's not with absolutely no problem at all. Clearly the controlls become second-nature after a while. Second-nature is not a way one would describe horrible controlls. It IS however, a way to describe controlls you become quite comfortable with.

I wonder if it had anything at all to do with the fact that you spent a life-changing set of minutes with de demo.

Game, if numerous people manage to manuver and handle the controlls perfectly and with incredible ease, I'm inclined to believe it's something ANY gamer can do. Unless of course, you're a bit slow. These aren't gifted people, they are "normal" gamers like you and I.

I understand it's YOUR opinion, but ask yourself, could a player handle the controlls that seamlessly if they were horrible as you said or had any real problems at all? Maybe, the problem isn't the game/controlls, but .... *GASP*....it's you? :eek:

(let's just hope it's not the retardation thing I mentioned)

Case in point, there's a MASSIVE difference between horrible controlls and different controlls.

bobcat
"Nintendo have a very difficult reputation to live up to each time it realeases a new Zelda or a new Mario. The problem is that Zelda OOT and Mario were groundbreaking games, that changed the way games looked and played, and now people expect that type of outcome for the next series, and the next series"

I'd say you hit the nail on the head pretty well there my good man.

Sadly, you are so correct. The result is that people end up expecting something completely revolutionary each time. While it's possible to have some revolutionary ideas/elements within games like SMS and Zelda for instance, expecting that same feeling you got when you played the truly revolutionary OoT or SM64 for the first time, is pretty much expecting the impossible. From that perspective, it's easy to label certain games as "disappointing" or inferior to their predecessors when in fact they have made significant advances over the previous efforts.

As for Metroid Prime, I think it's design is revolutionary. This game is the first of it's kind, one that attempts to "flawless" conveys 3D adventure and exploration elements from a first person perspective, at the same time, immersing the player in the surrounding environment, and the role of the heroine(Samus). It's gameplay on the other end is evolution at it's finest... at least, that's the impression I got so far from those who played more than a mere store demo.

I won't stand to be late with this game like I have been with some others. I already pre-ordered.
-- John 10:10

Blessed is he who hath tasted, understands, and can testify that this is true. Glory to God!

Last edited by D-realJos : 11-10-2002 at 02:07 AM.