View Single Post

Re: Last movies you saw
Old 11-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #1348
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling
Default Re: Last movies you saw

I thought TDKR was as much of a Nolan film as it was a Batman film.

The fact is...we've had campy and fun Batman. Batman and Batman Returns are good films...Batman Forever and Batman & Robin are not good films.

So you take the good with the bad....these new films are incredibly well done, in my opinion. And some of it is a bit over-the-top, and some of it is a bit pandering...and it's not all canon. But it works for the most part.

I thought the "fire batman symbol on the bridge" was very comic-book-esque, and that worked for me.

The cops being underground for 3 months didn't bother me. Also very comic-y, imo.

Bane's speech at the stadium was a bit over-the-top, for me. His voice was fucking perfect though. I thought Bane's personality was great.

The ending wasn't as good as the rest of the film...and fell way short of The Dark Knight...but A LOT OF MOVIES fall apart in the end. I think you could argue that Bane was sort of screwed over. I thought it was a Nolan ending, and not a "Batman" ending.

I can overlook the hokey social commentary on terrorism and conservatism and all that stuff, because who gives a shit. I go into these movies with a comic geek boner, and tend to ignore most of the social commentary unless it's relevant to beliefs I already have. These ARE violent movies, and I probably wouldn't take young kids to them.

I think there are clear tradeoffs with the Nolan franchise. On one hand, the movie isn't quite the comic experience as say: The Amazing Spider-Man, The Avengers, Hellboy, Sin City, or even Iron Man.

On the other hand...the Nolan franchise does some stuff that blows those other movies away.

This summer was good for comics. The Amazing Spider-Man had the best of both worlds....The Avengers was all comic book, and Batman was more of a Nolan movie than a comic. Between these 3 films, I think anyone can find something to like. Unless you are a dick.