View Single Post

Re: Cloning: Nature or Nurture
Old 09-08-2005, 01:33 AM   #11
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:
Default Re: Cloning: Nature or Nurture

Bladerunner is a great movie, but isn't it actually about robots rather than clones? Now I understand that they were produced by some biological process supposedly and had DNA and everything, but I thought the central question of the movie was about the nature of humanity and life. If it was made by human hands, is it alive? The story it was based on was called Do Robots Dream of Electric Sheep?

Anyway, exactly recreating someone isn't going to be possible unless the laws of physics are wrong. It is well known that identical twins separated at birth, who are literally natural clones of each other, will turn out with different personalities. They don't even turn out the same when they are living in the same household, and that's because they don't have the exact same conversations with the same people or the exact same injuries at the exact same times or see the exact same events...and all that stuff is uncontrollable by humans.

Well ok, maybe they'd both turn out the same if you put them both in a blank cell and fed them the same stimuli through a TV or something. But aside from the ethical problems with that, you'd also end up with two very boring clones.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed