Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Good and Bad news from Sega, mostly good.
Old 11-20-2002, 09:13 PM   #1
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

Now Playing: Yo Mama
Default Good and Bad news from Sega, mostly good.

SegaSports has 'halted' development of Sports games for Cube for the year 2003 (i.e. NFL 2K4, etc.)

Now, I dont know if this upsets you...I doesnt upset me. Not many people bought their Sport games for cube anyway, so apparently not many will care. Besides, NFL2K3 is nothing to brag about.

Now for the better news:

"In the press conference, Sega COO Tetsu Kayama mentioned that their major game titles will be going multi-platform in the future, such as Virtua Fighter and Sonic, in order to maximize sales. Sega is also considering porting certain platform exclusive titles to other console systems, such as some of the Xbox titles. The Sega Sports division has incurred deficits of 6.1 billion yen this term, but the team is recovered and continue to develop future sports titles."

So, what does this mean? Probably the Next Sonic will be on more then Just cube, unless Nintendo strikes a deal. I dont think shenmue 2 or 3 will go on other systems, because they are published by MS. Yet, I know I would like many other PS2 exclusives.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:19 PM   #2
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

=\

Well that's not good news either.

Well, at least we all know that Sega buyout was a damned rumour.

Old 11-20-2002, 09:24 PM   #3
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

Why is in not good news? You dont want VF5 on GCN? JSRF2? Shenmue 3 or 4 (maybe)?

Old 11-20-2002, 09:29 PM   #4
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by GameKinG
Why is in not good news? You dont want VF5 on GCN? JSRF2? Shenmue 3 or 4 (maybe)?
I think all he payed attention to was the fact that Sonic might not be exclusive to NGC anymore, and decided to ignore the fact that it opens up a possibility for many other Sega games to come to NGC later on

I'm not a big fan of Sega games though... *shrugs* Virtua Fighter 4 was ok, but too hard... and I don't mean a challenge kind of hard, I just mean frustratingly hard...

NFL2K3 is a great football game (on PS2 at least), I dunno what you mean by NFL2K3 is nothing to brag about... I guess you just don't like football games

Anyways yeah neat and stuff...

Old 11-20-2002, 10:02 PM   #5
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I dont like this. Most of Sega's sports games are better than their EA counterparts, IMO.

Old 11-20-2002, 10:03 PM   #6
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV

Good news for me as I'm not interested in American sports.

VF5! Sweet.

Wots so hard about VF4? Is it performing the moves? Challenging the computer? Kumite? Challenging your mates?

I don't see anything frustrating about the gameplay, maybe because I excel at nearly all fighting games

Old 11-20-2002, 10:14 PM   #7
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:

Not exactly a problem for Nintendo. Considering how few titles were sold, it's not hurting them to lose it, and it's not going to hurt Sega either. Gamecube was screwed from the beginning for multiplatform sports titles. They are competing with Xbox mainly, and Xbox will always have the better graphics and better sound out of all 3 versions. On top of that, since Nintendo chose not to release the SD cards, they are forced to cut some features, while Xbox features a HD and allows you to save numerous franchises, seasons, and anything else your heart desires. Now with online play, people will either choose PS2 because that's all they own, or go with Xbox. It's not a bad system for all sports games, but it gets killed when it comes to the big sim games. Can't blame Sega here.

Porting isn't a surprise, considering many of their titles didn't do so well. JSRF comes to mind. Why not try putting it on other consoles? You never know, might catch on with a different crowd. Shenmue won't, and you know it. It's always been a game meant to be played on one system, through the multiple games. It's also a game that thrived on having cutting-edge graphics. Combine that with Xbox having the fewest limitations, and you know Shenmue III will be Xbox-exclusive.

VF would make sense to port, but they need to get it done before they're over-run by MKA, SC2, and DOA4.

Old 11-20-2002, 10:18 PM   #8
RagedHybrid
That was a Hoot!

Now Playing: WoW, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Killzone 2, Need for Speed: Shift

I want my shenmue for GC!!!! I ain't gonna buy an XBox, i haven't taking a liking to the system at all.

Old 11-20-2002, 10:42 PM   #9
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

Yeah, thats another point. Sega says the HD is must for Shenmue, or something like that.

Old 11-20-2002, 10:58 PM   #10
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

Hm... no, I was just pondering the fate of the new Virtua Fighter RPG that Yu Suzuki is working on.

Shenmue 4 is not real. 3 is the announced last title, and it covers the last chapters. (which is a hefty amount, like 3 to 4 times the size of our beloved Shenmue 2!)

Old 11-20-2002, 11:03 PM   #11
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by GameKinG
Yeah, thats another point. Sega says the HD is must for Shenmue, or something like that.
No Shenmue to date has required the HD. If Shenmue III does, he changed something big time. Up until now, Shenmue and Shenmue II have done fine on DC with a 128k memory card.

Old 11-20-2002, 11:15 PM   #12
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

Yeah, ok...well...whatever....

Old 11-21-2002, 12:06 AM   #13
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by bobcat
Good news for me as I'm not interested in American sports.

VF5! Sweet.

Wots so hard about VF4? Is it performing the moves? Challenging the computer? Kumite? Challenging your mates?

I don't see anything frustrating about the gameplay, maybe because I excel at nearly all fighting games
I'm not that great at fighters and I'm not a big fan of them, and learning all the movies and trying to use them and such when the gameplay is quite fast-paced was too hard for me... and in Kumite the difficulty went from easy to extremely hard once you get to 1st dan rank... ;o

Old 11-21-2002, 12:11 AM   #14
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathsHand
I'm not that great at fighters and I'm not a big fan of them, and learning all the movies and trying to use them and such when the gameplay is quite fast-paced was too hard for me... and in Kumite the difficulty went from easy to extremely hard once you get to 1st dan rank... ;o
heh

it just proves that some gamers are good in some games, and not so good in others...

you're way better than me in games like Grand Theft Auto, but I kicked a lot of ass in Kumite mode in VF4

I got 7th or 8th dan or something I think...didnt' find it that hard...lots of fun though

Old 11-21-2002, 01:48 AM   #15
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

What happend to "All sports, all systems"?

Well, I guess all you Cube only owners who like sports games will have to go back to EA.

To me, this is 100% bad news

1) They lose all thier Sega sports games
2) Lose exclusiveness to sonic
3) Gain some ports of games

Sega and Nintendo's relationship must be going down the drain.