Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour
Poll: Does Fox news support the republican party?
Poll Options
Does Fox news support the republican party?

Fox News
Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions
Default Fox News

I'm just curious what your opinions are on this subject. Are they really 'fair and balanced'? Or does the network support the republican/conservative point of view and lie about being 'fair and balanced'?

Last edited by TheGame : 10-19-2009 at 08:43 PM.

Re: Fox News
Old 10-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
TheGame
The Greatest One

Default Re: Fox News

This poll should be moved to happy hour... my bad.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Fox (the parent company) supports making a profit. They saw an opening in the lack of conservative cable news channels, so they made one and profited.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

The options are confusing. Do you mean "prime time shows" as in sitcoms/dramas, or whatever late night news they have?

If so, I think their prime time dramas are either neutral or actually more liberal. They have some of my favorite shows on during prime time - House and Fringe. But I really hate their news - obviously conservatively biased. The other stations do have a bit of a liberal bias, but I feel like Fox is much more so towards republican than the others are towards democrats.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Absolutely.

I was thinking about making another thread seeing what everyone here uses for their news source. I very rarely watch the news, but when I do I watch Al Jazeera or listen to BBC World News. I much prefer pure news, boring as it may sometimes be, to the petty squabbling of pundits.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
TheGame
The Greatest One

Prime time shows are Glen Beck, Hannity, and O'reily. Shows that are more based on Opinion. I should have worded it as "Opinion shows" or something.. haha. And news shows would be more like.. the shows that are not supposed to have any bias and just tells the news 'objectively'.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #7
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

I actually have no problem with Fox itself (except the morning weathermen just looks like a douche, who wears a polo on the news?), but Fox News the channel can be a bit much at times.

Granted, most of what I see of Fox News is through The Daily Show so its out to make the channel look bad, but if they double talk so damn much...

Not to say many of the other news organizations are much better.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 10-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

Only FOX news report I ever saw was this.

EPIC LULZ

Old 10-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #9
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

I'd say on the whole FoxNews definitely sees the world through a conservative perspective, making them Republican based by default but I wouldn't call them a "Republican voice" per se. Their news programs can be very objective, though, depending on which newscaster you speak to. Neil Cavuto is very conservative in how he reports the news, but Shepherd Smith tends to be moderate and objective.

Not unlike MSNBC, except from the opposite political perspective.

That gives me an idea for a poll...

Old 10-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #10
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Fox News Chicago has a conservative twist more often than not...

As far as politics go, both MSNBC and Fox feed into this idiotic two-party system we have, rather than focusing on the actual issues at hand. I stopped watching the news with the exception of the non-political stories that occasionally grace CNN and capture my attention (plus Larry King when he has an interesting guest).

I feel like TV-news is all about entertainment, frills, and appealing to the lowest common denominator. I'll be cynical and say it: the news provides very little in the way of intellectualism. The news puts on a facade of political interest and serious political discussion, but it is still appealing to the masses who watch American Idol and America's Got Talent. The truth is real issues are scary and challenging; they call morals and philosophy and history into discussion. You cannot discuss these things in a serious manner while running boner-pill and McDonalds commercials during breaks.

PBS has a good news program. The Internet has some good news outlets. The rest of it is just a circus...part of the entertainment industry. The fact that we are concerned over a CORPORATION'S objectivity is a little discerning (FOX, MSNBC, these are corporations for cripes sake). I hope everyone here has the wisdom to realize there is no such thing as objectivity, especially when dealing with the almighty $$$.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:41 AM   #11
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

I want to clarify, I don't blame the people at NBC or FOX for doing what they do. In fact I see the news from time to time as I channel surf or as the roommate or GF watch it. I just don't go out of my way to watch it unless I am napping or am bored or am catching Sports/The Weather.

My issues is when people align their TV watching with their political beliefs. If you are a Republican that doesn't mean you can only watch FOX or that you need to believe or support everything that comes from FOX. In fact, I would hope that most intelligent people (Republic/Democrat/Independent/Whatever) would realize that no single party can possibly represent all their beliefs! Likewise, no single news source or news personality could possibly be an accurate representation of what you believe in. Heck, I think Bill O'Reilly is batshit insane but I still agree with him from time to time. The news shouldn't have to be objective, the viewer should.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

In the end, I think if you rely on only one news source you do yourself a disservice. In the end we are al responsible for our own education and knowledge creation.

Journalism as it is traditionally defined has long since died. Now it's up to us to define what is or is not true.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

News nowadays (At least in the USA for the mostpart) is highly, highly objective, as it depends on who owns the company, and how well the ratings are doing. It's not about news anymore, it's about money.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
News nowadays (At least in the USA for the mostpart) is highly, highly objective, as it depends on who owns the company, and how well the ratings are doing. It's not about news anymore, it's about money.

Wouldn't that mean its subjective?

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #15
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I'm on painkillers, cut me some slack.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.