Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

My tough decission on which system to get.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:04 PM   #1
travvandamage
Baron

Now Playing:
Default My tough decission on which system to get.

I thought I would share with you all why I chose Game Cube.

System:

At first I was thinking PS2 and I must admit I was a die hard psx fan and still am although I do love the N64 because it has some equaly great classics. PS2 has only 2 controle ports where as Game Cube has 4 so Game Cube Obviously wins in that area and I know you say that you can buy a multi port device for PS2, but since Game Cube already has 4 ports and you don't need to shell out extra cash for it. It rightfully wins in that area.

Game Cube has probably the best controller around and with PS2's comming in at a farely close second and Microsofts monstrosity that is the X-Box's controller comming in at a very dead last.

Game Cube is the 2nd most powerfull of the 3 systems, but X-Box in my oppinion just dosn't stack up to GameCube game wise, which is what really matters in a game system right?.

In terms of size. The game Playstation looks cool but its farely big and thats not that big of a deal cause its a workable size. X-Box is the biggest of the 3 and well.......its big. Game Cube is by far the smallest of the 3 and even has cool tiny CD's that makes it easy to carry around and such. If it was Cart's that were smaller then I might have had a problem with it, but since its cd's its not a huge deal cause they are cheap to produce and easy to make multi cd games and thats not the case with carts and the cd's can also hold a great ammount of data in the first place.

The price on X-Box is $300 and that's ok I guess if I really want it, but since I really don't want an X-Box in the first place, thats pretty much out of the question. The PS2 is the same price but in my oppinion a far better system because of its games and 3rd party support and what not. The price on Game Cube and its games and excessories is what really attracts me to it. I find it far better then the X-Box in almost everyway and yet it has a much smaller price which is great, and it has the best price of them all which wins it out period.

All that and the fact that Game Cube has connectability with Game Boy Advance which I already have. My verdict is.

Winner: Game Cube

Games:

The thing that most influences my decissions on this is what RPG's it has since that's my fav genre. I was origionaly gonna choose ps2 because it seemed to be getting all the rpg's and the origional psx was my fav system ever because of the ff games, and most notibly ff7. Then I found out that square would be developing for nintendo which obviously means future FF games on GC and GBA (which I already have and I love it).

So with FF, Zelda and Golden sun games on the Nintendo systems, its pretty easy to say that Nintendo could very well take the lead in RPG's pretty soon, and Especialy if we see a port of FF10 or any of the classics like FF7.

Im also a big fan of Wrestling games and I like the Smackdown series a lot. I wanted PS2 partialy cause of Smackdown3 but if Wrestlemania has the game play of the other N64 wrestling games and yet has almost the same ammount of modes as SD3 then GC wins in this area.

Im not much into racing games but I suppose PS2 has the lead in this area........for now.

As for Space combat and other types of games. I would say that GC is doing strongly right now since i t has the new Rouge Squadren game out on it which looks to be super cool and I really want it :P *drools*.

Winner: Game Cube.

----------------------------

IT was a tough decission and basicly between PS2 and Game Cube but with Square now a developer for GC and that on top of GC's connectability with GBA and the golden sun series appears to have a home on Nintendo systems. Also the Game Cube looks better and more compact then the other systems and especialy with the monitor you can buy to hook on the back of it which masicly turns it into a slightly bigger PS1 only with the power of GC :P. AND the sonic games which I love are abondent on the Nintendo systems now so GC wins hands down.

I hope you liked my rant and if you read all of it or even half of it, then I seriusly pitty you :P jk heheh. I pitty me for writing it!

Old 03-12-2002, 08:39 PM   #2
Megaman
Baron

Now Playing:

I agree with most of the things that you said. Anyway, I already have a gamecube and now i am trying to decide if i want a ps2 or an xbox. But i think i'll get the ps2 cuz it has metal gear solid 2, devil may cry and gta3 and others. I have been saving money from the cd-r cds i sell (lol) and right now i have $200 and as soon as i get $300
i'll get a ps2. if i get an xbox it would be on christmas or something :P

Old 03-12-2002, 08:54 PM   #3
Yoda9864
Jedi Master

Now Playing: Too many to list...

Quote:
Originally posted by Megaman
I have been saving money from the cd-r cds i sell (lol) and right
Oh you have, have you? Getting a little dirty money? Ever heard of GameTZ?

"Do or do not" - Yoda

AIM: Yoda9864

Old 03-12-2002, 09:01 PM   #4
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoda9864
Ever heard of GameTZ?
I have I have! I been there since April 2000! I so special...

But you can't trade ripped copies of stuff there...

Anyways, just to be quick, I think NGC is best system-wise... for price and all, consider I already have a DVD player and a PS2 as well...

But I think PS2 blows the other two out of the water game-wise, and I don't think it will change anytime soon...

Old 03-12-2002, 10:51 PM   #5
Gamer
Knight

Now Playing: Zelda Twilight Princess!

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathsHand

But I think PS2 blows the other two out of the water game-wise, and I don't think it will change anytime soon...

Hmm, well, june could prove to change that...

Old 03-13-2002, 09:45 AM   #6
Megaman
Baron

Now Playing:

Quote:
Oh you have, have you? Getting a little dirty money? Ever heard of GameTZ?
What? GameTZ What? No, i haven't.

Old 03-13-2002, 11:14 AM   #7
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by gamer

Hmm, well, june could prove to change that...
2 or 3 good games isn't going to change anything... PS2 already has a very good library of good games and a fairly good library of great games...

I count zelda, SFA, ED, RE1, RE0, PD0, a bunch of the stuff we know of... To me, it doesn't even add up to all those games that were released on PS2 late last year... and PS2 still has other good/great games coming out this year... Virtua Fighter 4... Blood Omen 2... Medal of Honor: Frontline... uuhhhh Onimusha 2... Plus their online plans could be starting up in the US late this year... along with GTA3: Miami coming out... and even more... This will be a very big year for Nintendo with a good number of major second and first party games coming out... and even though some of those PS2 games coming out this year my not end up being QUITE as good as the NGC ones (even though they could be, in some cases), Sony is still getting a fair amount of good games considering a ton of developers released a number of their major products already and this is kind of the "calm" period when there aren't TOO many developers with major titles in the works...

I think NGC will be good and end up being very well worth the 200 bucks and all that, I just think that PS2 is even better and will stay better for awhile... and a few games aren't going to change that... unless maybe they're like the 3 best games ever made which I doubt will happen

In the end though it all comes down to opinion... if you for some reason hate a lot of those PS2 games that so many people love, and love any game Nintendo or their second parties make, mixed in with a few really good third party games, then once RE1, SFA, ED, etc come out, you probably will think NGC is better than PS2...

But I probably won't

Old 03-13-2002, 11:37 AM   #8
BigJustinW
The Greatest One

Now Playing:

Xbox.. so far... has more exclusive games I want...

(the sad part is that I didn't notice this until I got my Gamecube)

My tip to everyone, buy a system for it's games that are currently out... because waiting for good games sucks.