Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Fighting Games
Old 10-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Fighting Games

So recently TheSlyMoogle and I have become obsessed with fighting games, which is ironic because our obsessions came about at the same time without either of us knowing that the other was also becoming obsessed with them. We just happened to sign on MSN one day ad realized both of us had been playing fighter games.

Moogle is crazy about Guilty Gear XX, and when he's not eating, sleeping, or studying he is playing that game. He told me it was one of the best fighters he had ever played in his life (if not the best), so yesterday I got on Ebay and bought a brand new copy that Moogle found for about $40. I'm counting the days until I get it.

My first experiance with a fighting game came one day when I was a very little kid shopping with my parents at Wal Mart. On the way out, I saw an arcade game that I just had to play. I've loved comic books since I was a child, and when I saw a game called "Marvel vs. Capcom" I knew that I could not miss out on that experiance. My dad happened to like super hero's too, so he didnt mind giving me the quarters to play the game. I still remember to this day what characters I picked. I chose Venom, Captain America, and Spider-Man.

Needless to say I LOVED the game. I was so infatuated with it that I wanted my parents to actually buy me the arcade machine for Christmas. (I was a naive little kid, and I was only like 5 years old.)

Then when I was in the 3rd grade, I had my next encounter with a fighting game. One of my friends had a copy of Mortal Kombat for his game boy, and he let me play it one night while we were at the high school for some sort of ceremony for an award we had won for a poster contest. I loved the game, and I begged my parents to get it for me, although I dont remember why I never did get it.

Then several years later when I got to high school, my brother and I got Bloody Roar Primal Fury for the GameCube; a game that we still play to this day. It's an ok fighter, but it wasnt so awesome that I loved it as much as Marvel vs. Capcom. After the next generation consoles came out, I played a variety of fighters. I own both super smah bros. games, but I dont really consider them a hardcore fighting game, although I am awesome at it. At a friends house I played such games as Tekken and Soul Calibur II.

And now things have came about full circle. A few weeks ago I let a friend of mine borrow Dynasty Warriors 4, and in return I got.....Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I got home and immediatly started to play it. It was like a rush of memories coming back, like my childhood had been immortalized in that disc and in the characters. I had went from a five year old kid, to a junior in high school, the same place I had played Mortal Kombat, and in return I had gotten to play the game I wanted so badly as a child. The day I got to play that game again was the day of atonement for all the days in between.

I commenced to choose Captain America, Spider-Man, and Venom, then I commenced to get my ass kicked by the computer. I am now much much better at the game, and can easily beat the computer, but I traded out Captain America for Wolvereine. I dont think Wolveriene is really that great, but I'm awesome with him. He's weak, but incredibly fast. I'm all over the guy clawing him before they know what happened.

So right now I'm in the process of becoming awesome at that game, getting good at combo's and such, but I realize that at some point I'll have to let my friend have it back. heh. So then I'll buy it...

I'm also considering buying the Street Fighter Anniversary collection, because I think it's only $30 USD.

And this year is looking to be an awesome year for fighting games. We have already been given the SF: Anniversary, but here is what we have over that bloodied horizon, if you can dodge that dragon punch in time:

1. Mortal Kombat Deception (PS2, Xbox)
2. Dead or Alive Ultimate (Xbox) (Hot Girls)
3. Guilty Gear Isuka (PS2)
4. Tekken 5 (PS2)
5. King of Fighers: Maximum Impact (PS2)
6. SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (Xbox)
7. Capcom Fighting Evolution (PS2, Xbox)
8. Iron Phoenix (Xbox)
9. Fight Club (Xbox)
10. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (Ps2)

GCN owners get screwed, which makes me glad that I also have a Ps2. But it's days like this that make me wish I had an Xbox live and a broadband connection. Online fighting would have to be fun.

What are your favorite Fighting games? And which ones have you had the most memorable experiances with? Are you planning on buying any of the games coming out? I personally am looking forward to Mortal Kombat Deception.

What's your style of fighting? Do you smash buttons, or take the time to learn the most difficult and articulate combo's until you have completely and utterly mastered a character?