Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

itt share the story of your username
Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
flamb
Marquis

Now Playing: irl, videogames are for squares
Default itt share the story of your username

i mashed my keyboard and then it looked like "flam" (which is like a drum technique) but with a bunch of extra letters so i deleted them, and then i saw the b on the end and it was like combining flam and lamb into one super word so i thought it was COOL

plz share ur story plz

Re: itt share the story of your username
Old 05-26-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Re: itt share the story of your username

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamb View Post
i mashed my keyboard and then it looked like "flam" (which is like a drum technique) but with a bunch of extra letters so i deleted them, and then i saw the b on the end and it was like combining flam and lamb into one super word so i thought it was COOL

plz share ur story plz
Interesting always thought it was some reference to flame.

My name comes from the play on the phrase, "break a leg" which meant good luck so I figured why did it have to be so specific, shouldn't wishing someone break every or any bone be the best luck.

And it also works as a threat so yeah.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 05-27-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

It's crazy to think I started using the Internet before google existed...I remember logging onto computers back in grade school and firing up Netscape.

Anyway, way way back in the day we got Internet in our home. My dad let me have a little Internet time for a couple hours when I wanted to use it. This was in the dark ages before pictures and movies dominated the web so I mostly did loser things like read IGN's text based site.

I ended up registering for a site in like 2nd or 3rd grade, and I needed a screen name....so I went with my favorite movie at the time, Gremlins, and became "KillerGremlin." Later in middle school I became a fan of the hideous AMC Gremlin, I think it is the sexiest funky car. I've registered KG for email addresses, used it as a game tag, used it for forums....I swear I was the first mother fucker on the Internet using "KillerGremlin." I wish you could copyright screennames because some other KG is out there, at least on AIM....

Anyway, at some point people at AGB or maybe it was GT decided it would be fun to flip their username around. Must have been out of boredom. So I flipped KG and got my much more interesting AIM username which was more entertaining for high school. I also have a couple of other screennames I use...actually just one...but patent pending bitches.

I'm a trooper though. KG is sort of like...me. I mean I can't change names. This name is me, it's like my personality. I feel very attached to it, and will most likely use it the rest of my life.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

Was playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater at a friends house when i was little and I couldnt think of a name for my character. Noticed on letters to type in your name that it was something like this:

ABCDF...
KLMNO....
TUVWX...

So yeah, just went with that and it stuck.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #5
Zen
Knight

Now Playing:

My nickname comes from the Bush song Everything Zen which I was crazy about when i was like 14 or so, that and it sounds like my middle name.... which is Ben.

Find me on Twitter as @ZenUrena

Old 05-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #6
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Me and Dylan were hanging out in grade 7, and I forget exactly what it was, but the day I made my account, we had some joke about typhoid. Plus I thought it was pretty funny to be named after a flesh eating bacterial disease-thing.

Plus, now whenever I hear the word "typhoid" in a sentence, I immediately think of myself.

Come to think of it, that's not all a good thing.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:02 AM   #7
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

It took me 3 years to find out typhoid is a disease. It goes under the name typhus here.

Oh my nicknames: Ang = iron, rist = cutter. I put it together using Tolkien words. Later I discovered it was also the name of a knife.

Canyarion is a Tolkien translation of my real name (first and last). It's hard to pronounce, but it's 100% unique. If anyone else ever goes by this name, I know it's a pathetic copycat.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

I've had a lot of usernames over the years. This one probably has the most boring origin. I like squids. Teuthida is the order squids belong to. That name and number under my username is the Swiss zoologist, Adolf Naef, and the year he named and classified Teuthida.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #9
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Original PVG Name - Indigo Montoya: A play on the name of the character from the Princess Bride

Original GT Name - The Strangler: An homage to Ed "The Strangler" Lewis, who was considered the world's most dangerous man in the early 20th century.

Current GT Name - Professor S: Marks my entry into the profession of education, keeping the "S" from "Strangler"

XBL Gamertag - ProfGrimaldi: A combination of my GT name and my old WoW name (Grimaldi)

Old 05-27-2009, 10:27 AM   #10
Combine 017
Headcrabs!

Now Playing: ...Always playing: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode One, Half-Life 2:Episode Two, TF2, EVE

Combine 017: Combine Soldier, unit 017, stationed in City 17.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Ric
Former King Of The Arcade

Now Playing: Battle Pirates / Warface / Minecraft

Uuh Ric... because it's my name

Actually my name is Richard, short for that is, Rick and everyone always called me Rick. I decided when I was 4 years old that since there is no 'K' in Richard I would not use it to spell 'Rick' so I adopted 'Ric' as my name. So there is the story of why I spell it that way. I wish I could have copyrighted it, now lots of people spell it that way, influenced solely by me, I am the origional inventor of this way of spelling my name, damn theives. I could not think of anything better when I origionally signed up at N'dose before coming to GT all those years ago.

I have also used as a screen name for forums and online in the past:

Kamaro - The dancing guy from Zelda MM.
Gabora - The giant blacksmith in MM.
Cojiro - The blue cuccoo (chicken) in Zelda OOT. I still have this account registered on GT, I was gonna change my name once but decided not to.

And the one I have often thought about changing my GT name to, the one I use as what I call my 'computer game name' is Asmodeus.
I use Asmodeus a lot. I pretty much will forever now too.

So when you are online and/or playing games look out for 'Asmodeus' it could be me

There are lots of sources which this name could have come from. There are also lots of different things that say what Asmodeus means. The demon king - The God of Wrath and Vengence etc but I got it from an old book from the Redwall series. It was the name of an evil king, adder snake, that lived in a cave.

EDIT: I just remembered I used to use 'Kamaro' for playing Runescape, I used 'SlayingBlade' for this too.

Last edited by Ric : 05-27-2009 at 02:28 PM.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
Cojiro
Baron

Now Playing: Ocarina Of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Cojiro - The blue cuccoo (chicken) in Zelda OOT. I still have this account registered on GT, I was gonna change my name once but decided not to.
What Ric said.

Yeah!

(I am actually a chicken, you stupid Japanese People)

Old 05-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Hmm, honestly I don't know what exactly what inspired the name Germanator. I Like the word "germination" as a word and at the time "German" was stuck in my mind as well. And then it kind of sounds like "Terminator" but I only saw that movie a week ago, so that might have only had subtle influences. Anyway, it works in a few ways.

Before that my screenames always would be "Weezermack" which is the first one I ever used back in the AOL days in 1995 or so because I was a huge Weezer fan. I stopped using that after Weezer decided to start sucking, but I'll always remember that one.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
That name and number under my username is the Swiss zoologist, Adolf Naef, and the year he named and classified Teuthida.
Ahhh I always wondered what that was. I was scratching my head so hard I reached brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Uuh Ric... because it's my name

Actually my name is Richard, short for that is, Rick and everyone always called me Rick. I decided when I was 4 years old that since there is no 'K' in Richard I would not use it to spell 'Rick' so I adopted 'Ric' as my name. So there is the story of why I spell it that way. I wish I could have copyrighted it, now lots of people spell it that way, influenced solely by me, I am the origional inventor of this way of spelling my name, damn theives. I could not think of anything better when I origionally signed up at N'dose before coming to GT all those years ago.
We get a lot of "Rich" and "Dicks" shortened from Richard here in the States. I wonder if the Rick thing is more common in Europe because I haven't heard of that much over here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Germanator View Post
Before that my screenames always would be "Weezermack" which is the first one I ever used back in the AOL days in 1995 or so because I was a huge Weezer fan. I stopped using that after Weezer decided to start sucking, but I'll always remember that one.
Haha oh man I remember when Weezer was good...middle school. Those were the days.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6 View Post
Was playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater at a friends house when i was little and I couldnt think of a name for my character. Noticed on letters to type in your name that it was something like this:

ABCDF...
KLMNO....
TUVWX...

So yeah, just went with that and it stuck.
That's actually pretty cool, though wonder how the missing letters fit in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
Me and Dylan were hanging out in grade 7, and I forget exactly what it was, but the day I made my account, we had some joke about typhoid. Plus I thought it was pretty funny to be named after a flesh eating bacterial disease-thing.

Plus, now whenever I hear the word "typhoid" in a sentence, I immediately think of myself.

Come to think of it, that's not all a good thing.
How often do you hear "typhoid" in a sentence?
I can't imagine that coming up too often.

Though reminds me of why I hate the word "early" sure it refers to a relative time, but it also is such an adorable nickname for me... so yeah first few years was a tad annoying whenever I heard it, and really one of the few nicknames I loathe.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away