Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Re: Itunes Question
Old 10-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #31
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:
Default Re: Itunes Question

In your situation, probably a laptop. I'm a desktop man myself, but my current situation has me with a PowerBook.

Desktops are so much faster, and I like the desk factor. I like being able to have docks setup, and I love dual monitors.

Needless to say, July of 07 has me buying a new G5 w/dual 23" cinemas

Old 10-06-2005, 11:22 PM   #32
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Ah, just for the record, I just found out my brother is getting the 2Gig Ipod Nano for his birthday. It'll be coming in the mail in a couple of days, although I wont get to see it out of the box until his birthday on the 26th.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:42 AM   #33
jeepnut
Mr. Sarcasm

Now Playing:

If you want to get him something, get him a case for it. I hear scratching is a big problem with them.

"Truth is not determined by a majority vote." - Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI Putting the smackdown on heresy since 1981
"Abortion is mean." - Rock For Life
"Remember men, we're all in the same boat - and women are on the shore, laughing." - Red Green

Old 10-08-2005, 09:11 PM   #34
Shadow Fox
Official GameTavern Ninja

Now Playing: SWTOR, Xenoblade
Exclamation Re: Itunes Question

On the subject with powerbooks, I just recently bought a custom 17" Powerbook with all the fixin's and I LOVE IT.

The 1.64Ghz G4 chip runs OSX Tiger like a dream, and the screen is OMG

*ejaculates*

ahem. The screen is beautiful, and widescreen DVD's look even better than my HDTV...

The 8x DVD+/-RW drive is nice, but not as good as the G5's DL drive, which is to be expected (and by default, encoding speeds are slower than G5 too, but generally faster than most desktop PC's).

And for some reason, I can run DOOM 3 (yes, DOOM 3) in 1024 x 768 with all effects at a respectable 26-32fps, which is VERY good for a mobile Radeon 9700. The GPU also sports an adapter for dual-DVI so you can hook up dual monitors!

I've got the backlit keyboard, with ambient light detection so it comes on and off automatically whenever it gets light or dark in the room. I also took advantage of the bluetooth and bought a bluetooth wireless mouse (from apple, of course).

For school, it also comes with a trial of Office and adapters for projectors (to show off powerpoint and keynote presentations).

I upgraded the RAM to 1GB, and added a second firewire 800 port, which ran me around $2900. A similar PC I ordered (IBM Thinkpad R54) cost $3700 after all the customizations I made to make it CLOSE to the Powerbook in terms of features.

Needless to say, I'm happy with my purchase; I don't think I'll need another laptop until well after the whole MacIntel deal comes to market, and probably longer than that...

Old 10-08-2005, 11:17 PM   #35
GiMpY-wAnNaBe
Cheese Master

Now Playing: FF7, again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Fox
On the subject with powerbooks, I just recently bought a custom 17" Powerbook with all the fixin's and I LOVE IT.

The 1.64Ghz G4 chip runs OSX Tiger like a dream, and the screen is OMG

*ejaculates*

ahem. The screen is beautiful, and widescreen DVD's look even better than my HDTV...

The 8x DVD+/-RW drive is nice, but not as good as the G5's DL drive, which is to be expected (and by default, encoding speeds are slower than G5 too, but generally faster than most desktop PC's).

And for some reason, I can run DOOM 3 (yes, DOOM 3) in 1024 x 768 with all effects at a respectable 26-32fps, which is VERY good for a mobile Radeon 9700. The GPU also sports an adapter for dual-DVI so you can hook up dual monitors!

I've got the backlit keyboard, with ambient light detection so it comes on and off automatically whenever it gets light or dark in the room. I also took advantage of the bluetooth and bought a bluetooth wireless mouse (from apple, of course).

For school, it also comes with a trial of Office and adapters for projectors (to show off powerpoint and keynote presentations).

I upgraded the RAM to 1GB, and added a second firewire 800 port, which ran me around $2900. A similar PC I ordered (IBM Thinkpad R54) cost $3700 after all the customizations I made to make it CLOSE to the Powerbook in terms of features.

Needless to say, I'm happy with my purchase; I don't think I'll need another laptop until well after the whole MacIntel deal comes to market, and probably longer than that...
that is one SWEET ASS set up you've go there, i personally went with a toshiba satellite for my purchase, but i was considering a powerbook....ooh, now i'm jealous