Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Re: WoW: Battle Reports
Old 12-27-2004, 02:23 PM   #46
Canyarion
Nerd of the Rings

Now Playing: Lotsa games that I need to beat! | WarCraft III + TFT
Default Re: WoW: Battle Reports

Jonbo, what's wrong with the PvP?? They haven't implemented the Honor system, that rewards PvPing.

Anyway, my girlfriend's here and she won't let me play.

"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit" - Oscar Wilde

Old 12-27-2004, 03:40 PM   #47
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

Well, all I ever hear for WoW PvP is people being ganked, high lvl people attacking lowbies, exploits where you get forced into PvP mode. Sounds like a real big mess that Blizzard seems to be having a hard time fixing.

Credit to Null for sig

Old 12-27-2004, 06:48 PM   #48
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life

And that is why you don't go on a PVP server. There are normal servers you know, they make up nearly 85% of the total amount of servers. I've had no problems what so ever on Eonar with PVP. If you want to fight, turn on PVP, if not, get on with your business. PVP is actually done quite well in this game, especially compared to the crap that is EQ, or the pathetically boring and stupid FFXI set up.

I do find that generally the horde are more active in raids than alliance on most servers. I think most people that would rather just raid and terrorize instead of questing and stuff would usually join the horde the begin with, as they are basically an evil and menacing type of group. On Eonar there is a lot of alliance raiding activity however, in fact it's pretty well equal on that front. Mainly its just horde attacks astranaar, alliance retaliates on crossroads, etc. Although some of the major raids have been insane.

And now there's the new battlegrounds specifically for PVP, which looks awesome. I think I heard something like you can command tanks and gryphons and such to reak havoc, and the whole thing is like one big large scale war. Looks fun.

Old 12-27-2004, 07:00 PM   #49
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

I do know about the non-pvp servers. But isnt there some bug/exploit where on a non-pvp server, you can still enter pvp mode? Or am I confusing it a bit?

But eh, I won't ever be playing WoW after hating the beta so I'll leave this thread in peace

Credit to Null for sig

Old 12-27-2004, 09:29 PM   #50
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

The thing about World of Warcraft is there's supposed to be tension and a threat from the opposing side...

When you enter contested or enemy territory on a PvP server, you have to keep your guard up... There's a war (of sorts) going on...

On a PvE it's just "la de da, this area might as well be my side's territory!"...

Even if you decide to enable PvP on it, the chances of running into someone else with it on are probably quite are...

And if you somehow get a raid group of PvP-enabled players together to attack a town, you'd mostly just be fighting NPCs while having to weed through a bunch of PvP-disabled players to find the ones who've turned it on...

When you get ganked, basically all you lose is a whole 30 seconds-2 minutes spent getting your corpse back... Being killed in PvP doesn't even damage your equiptment... And not everyone ganks... There have been plenty of times when people with a big advantage over me have simply ignored me...

But when you get a group of 3 level 50+ people roaming around an area for the specific purpose of killing any lowbies they find, that's when it gets annoying... Along with people who corpse camp...

An honor system would even things out a bit... Punish them for slaughtering low people for no reason, and reward them for actually fighting people who stand a chance... I believe Blizzard has already said there would be PvP-specific weapons and armor...

The only problems Blizzard could have with an honor system is how to handle it with raids... Since raids typically consist of a wide level range of characters... If a bunch of level 30s decide to attack a town where a level 60 player happens to be at the time, he shouldn't be punished for helping to defend the town...

And having some high level players in raid groups even things out (considering the NPC guards are usually quite high in level), but of course they'd also attack some of the lower player characters too... But they shouldn't be punished for that either, during raids there's no time to look through people and find one that's your level...

But at the same time, if they say, don't have raid groups count in the honor system at all... Then as few as 6 high level people (need at least 6 for a raid) could make a raid group and go around picking off lowbies in contested territory free of penalty...

There's a fine line blizzard has to walk on designing the rewards system for PvPing...

But the PvP in WoW has such great potential that playing on a PvE server would seemingly take away from a huge portion of the gaming experience...

Old 12-27-2004, 11:55 PM   #51
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

ehhh, I had to post again

I wasnt trying to say ganking is all that happens. I just hope whatever Blizzard does with the reward system is good and not ridden with bugs (but then, with anything in an MMO, its gonna have bad bugs =X ). But who knows, maybe PvP in WoW will iron itself out and be a really enjoyable experience for anyone (or a vast majority)

Credit to Null for sig

Old 12-28-2004, 12:17 AM   #52
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

I found my first real problem with WoW: Directions = Suck.

I'm so frustrated when someone giving me a quest says to go "southwest of Brill"...

There's a whole lot of stuff southwest of Brill. There's a whole lot of stuff southwest of EVERYWHERE. The other NPC's are useless with this problem too. I spend so much time running around trying to find everything its rediculous and if it doesn't get better it might just be frustrating enough to make me stop playing.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:16 AM   #53
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Strangler
I found my first real problem with WoW: Directions = Suck.

I'm so frustrated when someone giving me a quest says to go "southwest of Brill"...

There's a whole lot of stuff southwest of Brill.
I agree, I found myself having that same problem early on in the game...

However, most of the time it's telling you to go to a specific named place (the kind that, when you first go there, say "Discovered *name of place*")... And most of the time it doesn't discover that named place until you find a key point in the unexplored area (a camp, some ruins, whatever)... So just be thorough with your search of unexplored territory...

And most of the time when it says south of somewhere or north of somewhere, it means like as far north or south of the place as you can possibly go without leaving that territory...

Like Gnomeregan is "West of Ironforge", meaning it's shoved all the way in the westernmost part of the map...

Sometimes they don't even tell you where the thing is... But that's because the NPC doesn't actually know where it is, he's just heard the name... Or he knows the territory it's in, just not WHERE in the territory it's in...

I think they sorta set it up in that generalized-ish way for quests that are sending you into an area for the first time... To kinda make you have to explore more...

Or maybe they just suck with directions...

Old 12-28-2004, 12:47 PM   #54
Ace195
Full Spectrum Warrior

Now Playing: BattleField1942

Yeah I've noticed that too, It pissed me off when I was looking for the Burning Blade Coven, and for Thral's pick.. I was running around looking for the cave to the northwest, not knowing it was still in The Valley Of Trials. Bastards. Hey does anyone else have problems logging onto the same realm during hours in the morning ?

U.S.ARMY backwards = Yes My Retarded Ass Signed Up
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

"Remember that everyone fighting for you has a face no matter where you live I want you to see their face next time you start to critisize."~ Me

In HYPNOVISION!!!

Old 12-28-2004, 01:10 PM   #55
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Heh, yeah, those quests that don't quite tell you where to go. "Deliver a letter to Stormwind" talk about vague. Although most of the time it does say where in the area you have to go, like Dwarven District or something. I'm a hunter though so I have an easier time than most, cause I just put up a track humanoids or whatever and then look on my mini map for the npc I gotta talk to, which is usually quite useful.

Maybe I'm just having a generally easier time than most with quests, because of FFXI. The quests in that game...oh man "Find the key for the Temple in the jungle" wait a minute...there's a temple in the jungle? I guess I'm just used to having almost no direction at all, so even if a quest in WoW says "Go to Stormwind", I'm a least greatful for that...

And on the subject of PVP, there is still tension in PvE servers, you can't even get near Horde towns or posts without guards attacking you, and they'll attack you with or without PvP turned on. As well, getting anywhere significant in Hored territory involves killing some Horde npcs to get through, and when you do that PvP is automatically turned on, and there's usually a crap load of horde players near by who'll gang rape you. A lot of the players are jackasses too, like when I was going to Ratchet to take the boat, and a Horde guard attacked me, so PvP turned on and I started running. Suddenly some bastard of a lvl55 troll shaman comes out of nowhere and kills my ass. Then waits at my dead body for me to respawn. Took me 11 deaths and 15 minutes to get from cross roads to ratchet cause of some jackass. And when pvp turned off, he still followed me to ratchet, spitting on me, slapping me, laughing at me, he even got on the freakin boat and followed me around in booty bay. So in light of that, I'm more careful in horde territory now.

btw strangler, whats your name in Eonar?

Old 12-29-2004, 04:57 PM   #56
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Well I have finally decided on an avatar for my WoW experience. His name is Grimaldi and he's a dwarven hunter. I just reached level 10 and I'm now learning how to train and tame my pet, who I imagine will be some form of bear (because as we all know, bears RULE).

I am on Eoner, so drop me a line sometime

UPDATE: My pet is a Ice Claw Bear and his name is Medici (pronounced MED - E - CHEE)

Last edited by The Strangler : 12-29-2004 at 06:55 PM.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:01 PM   #57
Canyarion
Nerd of the Rings

If you can't find it, you ASK other players where it is. That's why it's a MMORPG.

Old 12-30-2004, 05:55 PM   #58
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Yeah, another thing about FFXI is that there was no general chat. If you needed help with something, you could only ask a few people in the general area, which usually didn't help. Take advantage of the general chat when you need help, people are usually very helpful.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:06 PM   #59
Canyarion
Nerd of the Rings

My brother had found 60 silk cloth, so we thought it was time for some new bags for us. So we asked what was needed for silk bags.
My bro bought 12 heavy leather, mailed it to me and I found a tailor who could make 5 bags for us.
I love things like these...

Now I'm in a moment where I'm torn between 2 or 3 areas... I could go to each of them to do quests, but I can't do them all... Anyway.

Argh I love this game.... I love it so much that I'm thinking about not playing it in retail. It will cost too much time!! And money of course....

Oh yeah I was thinking illegal thoughts... Someone could probably create an 'offline patch'... making the game offline. Think about it, 80% of the game would make a great singleplayer game!!
But that's... like I said... illegal.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:09 PM   #60
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

I've been having fun too but last night I played some good old WC3 and I still like that better.

Species: Troll
Position: Shaman
Name: Zarax
Level: 8
Region: Durotar