Re: Last movies you saw
Old 03-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #1156
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360
Default Re: Last movies you saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Just saw Sucker Punch and I have to say I am rather disappointed. I'm not sure what I was expecting from it exactly but I thought it would be better.

It felt like it was trying to be really artsy and it was obvious that it was trying... If that makes any sense
Yeah, I agree. Also Zack Snyder cannot choose good music for this movies........ ugh

Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #1157
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Yeah sucker punch was pretty much lame.

Old 04-02-2011, 02:39 PM   #1158
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Erin Brockovich. 7.5/10
Way different than I expected. I think I expected some half-funny, half-sad story about a poor mom with 3 kids.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #1159
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Source Code

The good:

Seriously, <3.

The movie itself was scrapping the bottom of the barrel as far as "science fiction" goes. It also went for the Hollywood, happy-ending money shot. And all within the last like 2.5 minutes too. Bleh.

Crappy writing aside, the cinematography was beautiful. Chicago represent. And the Metra, woot woot! I ride the Metra (train) frequently, and I thought they did a wonderful job.

Saw Machete. Typical Rodriguez fluff with a few moments that were simply awesome. One such moment occurred in the hospital and...

-Non sequitur-

Rodriguez knows how to make entertaining hospital scenes. Amirite? Of course I am. Planet Terror, Machete, Once Upon a Time in Mexico...give the man an Academy Award for amusing scenes that take place in hospitals.

-Non sequitur-

...the other fun little twist in Machete was an appearance by Lindsay Lohan. Good stuff.

I also watched The Tourist. What an awful piece of shit. The chemistry was not there to make this slow thriller gel....just watch Mr. and Mrs. Smith for real chemistry and look elsewhere for a subtle thriller film.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #1160
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

I watched Predators last weekend.

Really awesome movie. The first Predator movie that stands up the original, and is actually better in a lot of ways.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #1161
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

I enjoyed the new Predator movie. I called it a popcorn-fun romp. I'd give it 3 stars if I had stars to give.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #1162
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Pride & Glory. With Edward Norton and Colin McFarrel.
I really liked it, I'll give it a 7.5/10. It's a story about a family of cops who find out there are dirty cops in their battalion.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #1163
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

The Usual Suspects - Been attempting to see this one for years but something always happens. Kept having to shield myself from "the twist." Not much of one it turns out. Just an unreliable narrator, so you can't really go back and rewatch to see things you didn't catch the first time suddenly fall into place. A shame. Still enjoyed it though.

Drawing a comic heavy on an Aztec aesthetic so in addition to viewing a number of documentaries, watched The Emperor's New Groove (Inca) and The Road to El Dorado (a mix of Pre-Columbian cultures). Saw bits of both before but believe this was the first time I saw them in their entirety. Both fun but think I liked TRoED more. Plus it has one of the sexiest animated females ever.

Despicable Me was pretty cute. "It's so fluffy!" Not much else to say.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 - I feel bad for the folks who haven't read the book. They don't explain the mirror at all. I didn't even remember what it was until after perusing IMDb's board. Was it touched upon in the 6th movie? They also left out the whole "Voldemort" being taboo thing. Seemed important. Anyway, the tone was nice and it had good pacing though not too much actually happens. Made up for with some nice character moments.

Last edited by Teuthida : 05-01-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #1164
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teuthida View Post
The Usual Suspects - Been attempting to see this one for years but something always happens. Kept having to shield myself from "the twist." Not much of one it turns out. Just an unreliable narrator, so you can't really go back and rewatch to see things you didn't catch the first time suddenly fall into place. A shame. Still enjoyed it though.

Drawing a comic heavy on an Aztec aesthetic so in addition to viewing a number of documentaries, watched The Emperor's New Groove (Inca) and The Road to El Dorado (a mix of Pre-Columbian cultures). Saw bits of both before but believe this was the first time I saw them in their entirety. Both fun but think I liked TRoED more. Plus it has one of the sexiest animated females ever.

Despicable Me was pretty cute. "It's so fluffy!" Not much else to say.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.
- I feel bad for the folks who haven't read the book. They don't explain the mirror at all. I didn't even remember what it was until after perusing IMDb's board. Was it touched upon in the 6th movie? They also left out the whole "Voldemort" being taboo thing. Seemed important. Anyway, the tone was nice and it had good pacing though not too much actually happens. Made up for with some nice character moments.
I don't think the mirror has been mentioned since the 5th movie.

The "Voldemort" taboo is mentioned in a deleted scene shown on the dvd/blu-ray. No idea why they would take that out.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #1165
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
I don't think the mirror has been mentioned since the 5th movie.

The "Voldemort" taboo is mentioned in a deleted scene shown on the dvd/blu-ray. No idea why they would take that out.
I think at the end of the day, it was more of a plot point than anything. A reason that their location was discovered. It wouldn't have added much more to the movie IMO.

And I love the return of various elements that are important to the movie, but they completely ignored during the others.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 05-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #1166
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
I think at the end of the day, it was more of a plot point than anything. A reason that their location was discovered. It wouldn't have added much more to the movie IMO.

And I love the return of various elements that are important to the movie, but they completely ignored during the others.
That's true, but in the movie they had the characters wondering how they had been found. It's like they set up the question but never answered it. If you're going to cut the answer, they should have cut the question as well - it just adds confusion to the movie.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:12 PM   #1167
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Deathly Hallows pt 1 was my least favorite of all the films. The entirety of the movie could have been 30-40 minutes and no one would have skipped a beat. Also, we REALLY could have done without the horribly awkward dancing scene... ew.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #1168
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Tangled. 9/10.
Wow, it might be the most enjoyable Disney movie ever. It was funny, adventurous, romantic..... and the graphics really added to the experience. The horse running over rooftops and racing over the bridge for example... Just awesome.

Now I just regret that I didn't see it in 3D cinema.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #1169
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Scott Pilgrim vs The World - Probably one of the more original movies I've seen. Great subtle satire sprinkled throughout. "Their first album was better than their first album" was a favorite. Brilliant direction, editing, and sound. I started naming the games they pulled sound effects from toward the end.

Only problem is the lack of any real character development, making a repeat viewing only interesting to catch more of the satire and references.

7/10

Old 05-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #1170
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

I also watched Scott Pilgrim, it was on HBO a couple nights ago. I actually didn't like it, even though I thought I would love it. All of the video game references just seemed to be there for the sake of being a video game reference.

I got the feeling it was a movie made by hipsters, with hipsters in it, for hipsters.