Poll Options
Is WindowsXP an experience?

Is Windows XP an Experiance?
Old 02-08-2002, 01:52 PM   #1
Cyrax9
1st GT Member with US Cube

Now Playing:
Post Is Windows XP an Experiance?

Please read the ENTIRE thread before you vote, thank you.

Personally I think WindowsXP is a perfect name for the OS, it's definatly an experience. Most of you probably thing I've flipped, but I'll didn't say what kind of experience, now did I?

WinXP is the worst thing to happen in ages, it's an experience like no other, it's an experience through hell and back. I've tried to avoid it, but when I was at a store showing a demo, I had to see what made this such an experience, I'm sorry I did.

Like every other piece of Microsoft Software, it crashes, only it crashes a lot more. The setup is horrible for home use, especially if you use it for a Family PC. In addition a nice gaping security hole is included with the OS, as well as a built in Firewall that contains stuff I don't even want to think about. The layout is ugly, and product activation sucks, and should be outlawed. The worst feature of Windows XP is the boot-up screen for multiple users, I don't want to use a password just to access my damn PC, and the DOS support it includes is completely as backwards, Older DOS games Play, but newer ones don't!

Here is my final conclusion, if you want a really expensive coaster by Windows XP, otherwise avoid it like the plague.

Now you may vote.
#1. A short time in the future, ina living room nbot so far away...

"CONSOLE WARS IX"
It is the dawning of the 9th Console war; 23 years after the first shots were luanched from the Big "N", A new player has been screwing with the world of gaming while a former rival is developing a massive Behomth, the PSX, the Big "N" is outnumbered but theyhave a secert weapon.. he GameCube II!

#2.Freedom of speech and freedom of idiocy are not synonymous-Lady Iapetus

Old 02-08-2002, 02:19 PM   #2
sdtPikachu
Super Toaster!

Now Playing:

Well to be fair I've only used it once...

But it's fugly (I had to use the "classic" layout, since the XP one was so detestably inefficient, and must have been built for people with terminal myopia and the ability to remember anything).

It's about as stable as Win2K, which is what I use.
Security holes? As far as hackers are concerned, XP is great. You can read more about XP's so called security at the GRC here here and here if you don't mind wading through lots of tech stuff. But the basic bones of the article are all you need to know (and this is just in relation to DDoSing).
The XP firewall? That shall be my new definition for "oxymoron", like "Windows Encryption"
Product activation? Most invasive procedure of the home/workspace I've ever seen.

All in all even with my brief experience of using XP I loathe it with a passion. Hopefully it's one of those products I'll never have to buy; by the time I need my next OS Linux should be able to provide everything I need.

(Wonders if AOL will actuall succeed in buying Readhat, or if M$ will ever try to make a buggy, bloated version of Linux)
(shudders)
"If you believe in the existence of fairies at the bottom of the garden you are deemed fit for the bin. If you believe in parthenogenesis, ascension, transubstantiation and all the rest of it you are deemed fit to govern the country." - Jonathan Meades

Old 02-08-2002, 06:20 PM   #3
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

It's good

I have it, and my computer has never crashed so far (I'm serious)

So

Old 02-08-2002, 07:43 PM   #4
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I have windows 98 on my 400mhz AMD K62, and im loving it, it does everything I want it to, surf the net basically flawlessly.

Old 02-08-2002, 07:53 PM   #5
Null
The Nullified One

Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Source

Well sorry cyrax. but i dont know what you've been smoking.

WinXP is right up there with Win2k, as the 2 best windows versions.

both stable as hell. hardly ever crashing.

If XP does crash, its HIGHLY doubtful it will take down the entire system. more then likely it will simply close the program that caused the error.

XP manages RAM WONDERFULLY.

using everyting exactly the same, nothing new instealled or deleted.

win98 used 50% ram on my system out of 384 mb ram.
winXP used about 20% of that same ram.

XP runs by far faster then others. (excluding 2K cuz 2k also runs quite fast)

And to further support this. XP actually runs off the Win2000 code. (states that somewhere on the MS webpage)
There are bugs with it of course. But they are getting fixed with every new upgrade.

It does have secutiry holes. which is why i use 2k still on my main system.

The GUI can get a bit annoying. but is easily switched to a normal Windows look. so that issure is like nothing unless your too stupid to change it if you dont like the look. (and actually aftering seeing that look so much now i hardly notice it anyway.)

XP has problems with certain games. but i can remember when win2000 also had problems with games and all that.

XP comes with a lot of extra stuff. that maybe some people might use but i really dont want or need.

So my fav is actually Win2000.

If i were to rate them on thier OS alone, how they work and stuff.

Win2000 / XP (2000 maybe slightly above)
Win98
win95
win3x
***10 minutes later down the list***

WinME

But out of the windows section. Mac OSX owns them all. :P

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 02-08-2002, 09:16 PM   #6
Cyrax9
1st GT Member with US Cube

Now Playing:
Pika, I hope you're right about Linux, it would be the angel of mercy for my next PC, as for XP Firewall being a Oxymoron, I said the same thing about it when I first saw it, almost bursting into laughter. I hate the new interface, but to be fair to null it's ok (in terms of stability), but not nearly as good as Win2K, which is excellent in terms of Stability, unfortunatley what I've discovered is that they tried mixing it with Win98, and got WinMe, the fully integrated it, and got WinXP. I'm using WinMe, I know, it's a shame, but it's only crashed twice by accident, and it hasn't brought down my entire system, I've crashed it myself out of stupidity, but that's another story. I too agree, that Mac OSX is about 20 miles ahead of it though.
#1. A short time in the future, ina living room nbot so far away...

"CONSOLE WARS IX"
It is the dawning of the 9th Console war; 23 years after the first shots were luanched from the Big "N", A new player has been screwing with the world of gaming while a former rival is developing a massive Behomth, the PSX, the Big "N" is outnumbered but theyhave a secert weapon.. he GameCube II!

#2.Freedom of speech and freedom of idiocy are not synonymous-Lady Iapetus

Old 02-08-2002, 09:34 PM   #7
Revival
Untouchable

Now Playing:

I love XP, go ahead and ban me!

There's only one person in this world who can make me give up my XP easily.. all the rest of you, I'll kill before I give it up.

Seriously, I love XP, everything runs perfect on it.. it's a dream come true.. and I love having the ability to change themes.

Old 02-08-2002, 10:46 PM   #8
Old Skool
Banned

Now Playing:

Well I for one love Windows XP from a job point of view it’s the best thing Microsoft could have done for me. The networking is simple yet very powerful and yes I know it has some security holes in it but they really are nothing to be concerned over (there about as bad as win2k was at launch and there are loads of fixes out there for them already). Put it this way if a real hacker wants in there nothing going to stop him apart from maybe another hacker are servers in work have been hacked 2 times in the last year.
As for crash’s we are about half way towards completing the roll out of windows XP in work from Win2k and we have already seen a small drop in the number of reported crashes to the PC help desk (this is all going on well we are installing new computers and network routers).

From the home point of view well let’s just say I think every one with an ok PC should get this OS (By the way I have never used the home version of XP). It’s ease to use whether you use classic or the new settings (I find the new lay out much better). It does not crash half as much as 98 or ME and I would even go as far as saying it’s a bit better then 2K plus it plays all the new game. If you do have a cable modem XP will set it up as soon as you plug it in and turn it on and internet sharing is just one simple click of the button.

Overall it’s got to be a good thing I have got almost all of my friends now running XP and not one of them is unhappy with it and believe me they would go on forever if they did not like it.

Oh and here’s a cool site for window XP tweaks http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...=guide&dId=120

Old 02-08-2002, 11:19 PM   #9
Null
The Nullified One

Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Source

Puppet!!, i saw that you posted last, and i was like oh here we go. hes going to dissagree with everything i said and we'll argue more. But Nope. I agree with EVERYTHINg you said.

i think this is the first we've ever agreed apon.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 02-09-2002, 11:18 AM   #10
Old Skool
Banned

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by Null
Puppet!!, i saw that you posted last, and i was like oh here we go. hes going to dissagree with everything i said and we'll argue more. But Nope. I agree with EVERYTHINg you said.

i think this is the first we've ever agreed apon.

Damn did not think about it that way ……………Ok I take it all back Windows XP is crap no one should ever buy it. J/K

Null

Old 02-09-2002, 04:28 PM   #11
The_Dunadan
Knight

Now Playing:
i have it and love it! i think its great for family pc; no fighting over settings or anything. i have multiple users and we don't have to enter passwords, thats just an option you can turn on or off for privacy. the holes are there because its new and patches are already out for some of them. who would depend on an os' firewall anyway. my hasn't hardly crashed since the day i got it.

you can im me at pointblank00
you can email me at mikesmailbox00@yahoo.com
if you want to flame me, im me at /dev/null or email me at /dev/null@stfu.com

What are you smokin?
Old 02-17-2002, 01:36 AM   #12
JCubed
Baron

Now Playing:
Question What are you smokin?

What are you smokin'? Windows XP runs like a DREAM, and I love the silvery sleek look. I especially like how I can change my background, so now I've got a nice beach and stuff. Everything is smooth, and I haven't experiened any problems. The password is just an option, which I have opted to decline, and it makes it very easy for me to go about MY desktop without ruining my dad's settings, (which are REALLY bad). I can manage my desktop without interferring with him, and visa-versa. I don't see the little pop-up boxes a nuisance, in fact, they ahve saved me from doing many stupid things, which I am grateful for. I don't see what you're complaining about, but oh well. You're entitled to your opinion. And what's kind of funny is that most of the people who have taken this poll have liked XP. Sucks to be you! j/k

Re: What are you smokin?
Old 02-17-2002, 09:07 PM   #13
The_Dunadan
Knight

Now Playing:
Post Re: What are you smokin?

Quote:
Originally posted by JCubed
What are you smokin'? Windows XP runs like a DREAM, and I love the silvery sleek look. I especially like how I can change my background, so now I've got a nice beach and stuff. Everything is smooth, and I haven't experiened any problems. The password is just an option, which I have opted to decline, and it makes it very easy for me to go about MY desktop without ruining my dad's settings, (which are REALLY bad). I can manage my desktop without interferring with him, and visa-versa. I don't see the little pop-up boxes a nuisance, in fact, they ahve saved me from doing many stupid things, which I am grateful for. I don't see what you're complaining about, but oh well. You're entitled to your opinion. And what's kind of funny is that most of the people who have taken this poll have liked XP. Sucks to be you! j/k
dude, thats the mod of this forum!! sucks to be you *jumps in box to see what happens* *knows he exaggerated* *hops off*

you can im me at pointblank00
you can email me at mikesmailbox00@yahoo.com
if you want to flame me, im me at /dev/null or email me at /dev/null@stfu.com

Old 02-19-2002, 05:24 PM   #14
Gamer
Knight

Now Playing: Zelda Twilight Princess!

Meh, i dont mind it, i dont have it but my friend does. I went to his house the other day and used it. It kinda cool though.

Old 02-20-2002, 01:07 AM   #15
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

Three words: Mac OS X

Using it right now