Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Who's getting Mario Kart 8
Old 03-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #1
Blix
Harbinger of Cake

Now Playing:
Default Who's getting Mario Kart 8

Lets get ready for some MK8 racing, madafakas!

Re: Who's getting Mario Kart 8
Old 03-08-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Default Re: Who's getting Mario Kart 8

When I purchase a WiiU I obviously will. Im hoping to have a Wii U by the time the game releases but we will see. I would love to see a Mario Kart 8 WiiU bundle!

Old 03-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

IT'S GOING TO BE SO AWESOME!

I played 2 levels a few months ago and it was pretty awesome. It's the first MK I'll buy since Double Dash!

Old 03-09-2014, 10:08 AM   #4
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

I own pretty much every other one, and this looks extremely enjoyable.

I just hope they return FFA battle and Team Battle. Not sure why its one or the other

Quote:

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 03-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #5
Jason1
J-Dub

On a related side note, anyone know any good online deals on purchasing a new Wii U? Best I have seen so far is on Newegg.com the Mario & Luigi deluxe set for $279.99. Only 20 bucks off but free shipping and im guessing no sales tax. Im thinking of jumping on this soon as I should get my tax return any day now...anyone seen any better deals anywhere? You would think there would be some deals out there considering how badly its selling...

Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Blix
Harbinger of Cake

Now Playing:

I read somewhere that Nintendo is going to be selling refurbished Wii U's for $200. I don't know when that will start but I think they're the 32GB ones so that's awesome.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
Jason1
J-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blix View Post
I read somewhere that Nintendo is going to be selling refurbished Wii U's for $200. I don't know when that will start but I think they're the 32GB ones so that's awesome.
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs...encyPreference

Thanks for the heads up...looks like they are selling them right now. I may have to jump on this.

EDIT: Went ahead and got it. That deal is really exactly what I was looking for, too good to pass up. I would rather it came with New super Mario bros U than Nintendoland, but eh I'll take it.

Last edited by Jason1 : 03-16-2014 at 09:42 PM.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

I will definitely be picking it up at launch. The maps BaB posted look so cool. Can't wait to finally have an HD Mario Kart game.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #9
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1 View Post
http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs...encyPreference

Thanks for the heads up...looks like they are selling them right now. I may have to jump on this.

EDIT: Went ahead and got it. That deal is really exactly what I was looking for, too good to pass up. I would rather it came with New super Mario bros U than Nintendoland, but eh I'll take it.
NintendoLand is really fun

I don't know if it was the game the system needed at launch, but it is a pleasant surprise and much more robust solo than Wii Sports even

Quote:

Old 03-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #10
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Nintendo Land is worth it if you have friends that are casual/no gamers. The multiplayer is superb.
Singleplayer is a bit meh if you'd ask me. Some games are just not worth your time.

Old 03-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
Jason1
J-Dub

Yea it looks alright I'll give it a look for sure, but im really excited about Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze. Im a sucker for those old School difficult platforms. Im playing through Rayman Legends on PS3 right now and enjoying it greatly.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

I picked up Tropical Freeze and I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It just feels very blah. The level design is uninspired, it's just a very generic platformer. Most of the difficulty comes from trial and error because the levels do unexpected things and don't give you any clues that's of what's about to happen.

It's very difficult in a very frustrating way. After playing Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong just feels really subpar.

Old 03-25-2014, 11:26 PM   #13
Jason1
J-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
I picked up Tropical Freeze and I honestly wouldn't recommend it. It just feels very blah. The level design is uninspired, it's just a very generic platformer. Most of the difficulty comes from trial and error because the levels do unexpected things and don't give you any clues that's of what's about to happen.

It's very difficult in a very frustrating way. After playing Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong just feels really subpar.
That's a bummer to hear. Although its kind of just the nature of the Franchise right? I mean past DK games have been similar to this. I just played through Rayman Legends on PS3 and many of the levels in it are similar...its some skill but also a lot of trial and error, especially the on rails levels. (or levels where you have a time limit or fire wall chasing you forcing you to run through the level at a quick pace) That being said the trial and error doesn't really bother me too much so im going to pick up DKC Tropical Freeze at some point. May pick up Super Mario 3d world first, not sure yet.

In other news, I just got my Refurbished Deluxe Wii U today! I think a steal for $217 total (that's total, after taxes and shipping) So far I have only hooked it up installed the system update and played around with some of the features. Havent even tried Nintendoland yet. Vamp im going to add you as a Friend. I ordered the Refurbished Wii U directly from Nintendo and besides there being no system stand and Gamepad charger / cradle thingy, there is NO indication WHATSOEVER that its refurbished. System and gamepad were spotless. Everything seemed to be in the original shrink wrap, NintendoLand was fully shrink-wrapped. Only thing I noticed that seemed a bit odd was that the descriptions on the box were in Spanish 1st, English 2nd. Some if the loose packaging that was packaged in with the manual were all in Spanish (the sheet of paper that would normally tell you in big letters to call the help line before you return the product to the store, ect) Im thinking the box (and possibly the system and gamepad itself?) were originally packaged as a Mexican or South American model or something. Nintendo is one company I would buy refurbished with complete confidence. And they must be selling a lot of these refurbs because you can still buy one today from their website, plus the box looks just like what I expected the Deluxe WiiU box to look like, but they printed on the box itself (not a sticker someone slapped on) it says in Spanish / English in big letters Refurbished Product. So they are actually printing a separate box for these Refurbs.

Anyone long story short anyone on the fence about buying a Wii U go buy one: http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs...encyPreference

Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 PM   #14
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post

I r disappoint.

I prefer 3D World, but I really liked Tropical Freeze.
Great levels, some fun visuals, amazing music.

Quote:

Old 03-27-2014, 02:09 AM   #15
Blix
Harbinger of Cake

Now Playing:
Post Re: Who's getting Mario Kart 8

I just got DK: TF yesterday and from the little I have played it seems to be very well made. Also, thanks for that link. I'll show it to some friends of mine. And I'm glad to be of help. Let me know when you want to play something online. I have MH3U and CoD: Ghost for online.

Last edited by Blix : 03-27-2014 at 02:12 AM. Reason: adding