Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: Last movies you saw
Old 07-26-2015, 02:07 PM   #1426
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa
Default Re: Last movies you saw

Well the third Hobbit wasn't anything to write poems about.

Me Earl and the Dying Girl - This was about as sad as the title sounds. It was also a good movie. I think it won Sundance. .

Mad Max Fury Road - George Miller went all out and made a trilogy 'begins' that got the extended chase scene out of the way..

Old 07-29-2015, 12:19 PM   #1427
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

I saw Ant-Man recently. My wife and I enjoyed it particularly because we don't get to go to movies just us much anymore since the kids, but the movie itself was good, too. My wife thought it would be stupid, but she said she really enjoyed it.

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 08-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #1428
Seth
wants a yacht

Trainwreck - It was funny. Lebron was good. I like Bill Hader in a lead role. Amy Schumer was good. I felt the movie didn't resolve itself appropriately, but the tone of the film was consistent.

Spy - The movie falls flat. McCarthy is funny but there was nothing original here.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2 - It got awful reviews. I liked it enough, I mean it's kinda dark but there's a lot of laughs still and if they make a third I'll probably go see it in theatre.

Gone Girl - ay ay ay Overrated.

Playing It Cool - RomCom ugggghh not the worst of the lot.

The Gambler - Dorky take on the troubled gamblin addict. Not outright awful.

Chappie - Good nuff. Dystopic themes are fun.

Run All Night - Bette than that other film about killing a mobster's son....can't remember what it is help!

Last edited by Seth : 08-08-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #1429
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

I've seen Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker three times (so far). I really really enjoyed The Last Jedi. I think TRoS is okay. I've posted some word vomit around the internet today regarding my deeper thoughts and I don't want to copy/paste or retype, but it you search for Link1130 on TheForce.net boards you can find my stuff.

I also saw Uncut Gems. This film is basically Stress the Movie. Never been a fan of Adam Sandler comedy, but have typically enjoyed his more dramatic efforts. No exception here. He is great, the rest of the cast is great. Good times. Will probably never watch again, though. I had anxiety the whole time.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #1430
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

This is probably the longest I've gone without stepping inside a movie theatre since, like, 2004 y'all.

Watched Trolls 2 with the kids on the day it came out. I've got a family of 4, so the $20 rent tag was probably less than I was going to spend taking us all to the theatre to see it. I actually really liked the first Trolls movie. I thought the second was alright.

Recently rewatched The Princess Bride. My wife had mentioned that even though everybody gushes on it she only considers it "okay" but then she also admitted she hadn't sat down and really watched it; just seen parts. So we sat down and watched it (me convinced she was going to come out of it thinking it was really good), but of course at the end she said it was still only "okay".

I also got The Skywalker Saga 27 disc box set from Best Buy, so watched each of those over about a week and a half (movie a day). It was nice.

Old 05-23-2020, 10:30 AM   #1431
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

I watch very few movies. Here's everything from this year so far:

Joker (1/21/20)
Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (1/24/20)
Jojo Rabbit (2/8/20)
Knives Out (2/14/20)
Extra Ordinary (3/26/20)
Vivarium (4/18/20)
The Lighthouse (4/19/20)
The Gentlemen (4/25/20)
Uncut Gems (5/8/20)
The Red Shoes (5/22/20)

The only one I didn't care for was Joker.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:32 PM   #1432
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

I wish I could keep track, I watch way too many movies, I think.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 07-29-2020, 04:12 PM   #1433
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
I wish I could keep track, I watch way too many movies, I think.
You may look at Letterboxed. It has a lot of review feature and you can make lists and stuff, but I primarily use it as a way to log what movies I've seen. You can find me under (predictably) Ginkasa.

Recently watched Palm Springs. I thought it was fun. Its on Hulu.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #1434
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
You may look at Letterboxed. It has a lot of review feature and you can make lists and stuff, but I primarily use it as a way to log what movies I've seen. You can find me under (predictably) Ginkasa.

Recently watched Palm Springs. I thought it was fun. Its on Hulu.
I have Letterboxd, but too lazy to update haha

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 12-31-2020, 12:35 AM   #1435
Seth
wants a yacht

I've only got 1 bar of 4G cell signal as my internet option. I've used xplornet in the past and it really is the most terrible thing. I'm on the waiting list for Starlink.

Because of my internet woes I've watched a lot of the movies the last two years.

@Ginkasa
The Princess Bride is a classic. It has a lot of depth, and commentary on the world.

Uncut Gems was a hard watch but also one of the best movies of late.
After rewatching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, I now think it's Tarantino's best film. A more mature piece of work.

Bad Santa with Mel Gibson is a good Christmas flick. There's a subtle reference to Scrooged.

On the Rocks - I had high hopes for this movie since I consider Lost in Translation to be one of my all time favourites. Sophia Coppola has my respect for that. On the Rocks was meh. Decent but forgettable.

The Lighthouse - What a good art house film. Definitely a movie to rewatch at some point.

Knives Out was excellent.

The Trip to Greece - I'm a fan of all four in the series. Trip to Spain being my favourite.

Honest Thief - Good Neelson fun.

Black Bear - Aubrey whats her name from Parks & Rec. Good movie. Didn't know where it was going at first.

The Way Back - A good AA movie about redemption.

Tenet - Thought it was crap. Same wild mechanisms as Inception. Similar vibe to the TV series The Night Manager, which I preferred more.

Lupin III The First (2019) First CGI Lupin movie. I like Lupin III so the formula is there and it works for me.

edit:
For more recent movies, I highly recommend Bad Times at the El Royale (2018).

Looking forward to the next season of Peaky Blinders, Cobra Kai, Always Sunny in Philly

And the new Grand Tour special that recently came out. Classic Clarkson

Last edited by Seth : 12-31-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Old 12-31-2020, 10:55 AM   #1436
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Watched Soul with the kids. Really good stuff; probably one of the best Pixar movies.

Need to sit down and watch Wonder Woman 1984. Heard some iffy reviews, but still interested in watching it. Maybe tonight.

I also watched the recently released re-edit of The Godfather Part III: The Godfather Coda The Death of Michael Corleone. I really, really enjoy the first two movies (one of my favorite movie experiences was seeing both of them in theatres in the Coppola Restoration release ~10 years ago). I had not actually ever watched Part III due to all the bad reviews, but the re-edit got me curious after I saw some positive reactions. Definitely the least good Godfather movie. It had its moments for sure, but at times it felt almost like a TV reunion special. I dunno, I probably wouldn't really recommend except to mark it off a completion list.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:54 AM   #1437
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

You may not know this about me but I worked at a movie theatre for 10.5 years which meant I got to see any movie I wanted to for free and even got paid to watch movies sometimes. This meant I saw just about everything. Even the stuff I didn't sit down and watch it in their entirety I still was heavily exposed to just by working. When I had kids it became harder, but my theatre had a daycare center on site so when they got just old enough we returned to basically seeing movies weekly even after I left the theatre and I *gasp* had to pay.

Anyway, COVID put a stop to that obviously. We saw Onward like the week before things shut down and it was over a year before we got back (the longest I'd been away from a movie theatre for at least 15 years, perhaps ever). By the time we could get out the kids were too old for the daycare, but having been forced out of the habit of visiting the theatre regularly we never really picked up the habit again. Mainly other things had come in and filled that time. Long story short is I don't see half as many movies as I used to.

Anyway, that was me just thinking about old times. We'll still pop a movie on at home, but if we go to the theatre its usually something the kids want to see. They're old enough now that probably I could take them to most things and it'd probably be fine as far as content, but that doesn't mean they'd enjoy it (although they'd behave fine).

We actually have been to the theatre quite a few times in the past month. Had some time off and multiple movies that everyone wanted to see.

Godzilla: Minus One I thought was pretty great. I definitely enjoy Godzilla more as a destructive force of nature and a nigh insurmountable challenge for humanity than, like, a champion for humanity. I think comparing this to Shin Godzilla and the US 2014 Godzilla, this definitely comes out on top. (the kids tolerated it for me, lol; I think they just had fun getting out and it was my birthday so they liked doing that for me I think).

Wish was okay. We actually would have preferred to see the new Trolls movie first, but the timing worked out better for Wish. It was fine. I did really enjoy the animation style (even if the character design felt kind of generic). I get Disney was trying to pay service to their 100 year history, but it ended up just kind of feeling like Generic Disney Movie than anything particularly notable.

We did get around to Trolls a few days later. We enjoyed it more. They aren't high art movies or anything, but they are very FUN. Very colorful and upbeat and silly in the right ways. I liked this third one better than the second one, personally, but I still think the first one is the best.

I was a little nervous about Wonka, but the kids really wanted to see it. Gene Wilder's Wonka was an eccentric fellow, but I think people overstate just how weird he really was. Depp's Wonka went too far in the direction of insane. I was concerned this new version would be like that. The trailers seemed to emphasize the wrong parts of Chalamet's performance. But I thought this new one ended up being a pretty alright film. I don't think it, like, redefine's Wonka moving forward or anything. But it was a decent enough watch.