Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour
Closed Thread

Don't believe in God? Why not?
Old 02-04-2002, 08:09 PM   #1
The_Dunadan
Knight

Now Playing:
Post Don't believe in God? Why not?

i was hoping that maybe some of you that didn't believe could list the reason(s) why and that maybe i or someone else could see if we could answer your questions or help you with the stuff you don't think makes sense.

you can im me at pointblank00
you can email me at mikesmailbox00@yahoo.com
if you want to flame me, im me at /dev/null or email me at /dev/null@stfu.com

Old 02-04-2002, 08:11 PM   #2
Ravishing Rick Rude
Your God

Now Playing: Legend Of Zelda : Wind Waker

oh bloody hell. not this again

The Canuck Chuckers

#21 Corey Lidle #32 Roy Halliday #45 Kelvim Escobar #43 Mark Hendrickson

Combined Win Totals 27-14
For The week of June 14th

Old 02-04-2002, 08:14 PM   #3
The_Dunadan
Knight

Now Playing:
Quote:
Originally posted by The Ibrox Fox
oh bloody hell. not this again
i've never posted a thread like this before. and i'm being sincere. i'm just around christians a lot that you begin to think everyone already knows this stuff but they don't and they have questions. so i'd like to know what those questions are, thats all.

Old 02-04-2002, 08:19 PM   #4
Mechadragon
Knight

Now Playing: Warcraft III, The Wind Waker

This should be interesting........

Well I believe that there is a god but I just don't believe in the Bible. Its like they left out everything. One day there's nothing and then.....POOF! look a tree! They left out the dinosaurs and all that crap. I think the real question is....why believe in him? why not? It can be answred both ways so theres almost no point in asking....

Old 02-04-2002, 08:19 PM   #5
Ravishing Rick Rude
Your God

Now Playing: Legend Of Zelda : Wind Waker

This has been discussed before.

So Mods, Delete this.

It gets to personal

The Canuck Chuckers

#21 Corey Lidle #32 Roy Halliday #45 Kelvim Escobar #43 Mark Hendrickson

Combined Win Totals 27-14
For The week of June 14th

Old 02-04-2002, 08:30 PM   #6
The_Dunadan
Knight

Now Playing:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mechadragon
This should be interesting........

Well I believe that there is a god but I just don't believe in the Bible. Its like they left out everything. One day there's nothing and then.....POOF! look a tree! They left out the dinosaurs and all that crap. I think the real question is....why believe in him? why not? It can be answred both ways so theres almost no point in asking....
i see what you mean about the bible. a lot of people seem to be that way, that it was just man who wrote it. unfortunately i don't know enought to tell anyone about that part.

as for the dinosaurs, their are what are references in the bible that are believed to be referring to dinosaurs. but if you don't believe in the bible.....

and *poof* a tree part...you believe in god, you don't think he is powerul enough to create a tree? he is god, isn't he?

finally, why believe in him....if you don't, when you physically die, you will be seperated from god for eternity.

thanx for posting

Old 02-04-2002, 08:36 PM   #7
Mechadragon
Knight

Now Playing: Warcraft III, The Wind Waker

Im not good at this sort of thing......*waits for it to die*

Old 02-04-2002, 08:40 PM   #8
BigJustinW
The Greatest One

Now Playing:

*evil grin*

Finally, somthing to talk about

I believe in God an the bible, so no arguement for me (yet)

Old 02-04-2002, 08:56 PM   #9
The_Dunadan
Knight

Now Playing:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mechadragon
Im not good at this sort of thing......*waits for it to die*
ok. and again about the bible thing. i'll try to explain it though i know it will be hard to understand. it was god breathed. you know? inspired by god. he gave them the words to write.

why is chris grinning?

Old 02-04-2002, 08:58 PM   #10
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

The_Dunadan, I'm leaving this topic up, but please refrain from talking as if God is there and everybody should believe in Him. I'm referring to stuff like "why believe in him....if you don't, when you physically die, you will be seperated from god for eternity."

Say that's what you believe or something. Don't put it out there as if it's a fact. Because as far as people who don't believe in God are concerned, it's not a fact. You are just going to have to get used to the fact that some people out there don't believe in God or the afterlife. And telling them that they should believe in God so that they aren't separated from Him for eternity isn't going to help things. BigJustinW seems perfectly fine with it, so why can't you be?

Anyway, I don't believe in God because I only believe in what can be proven through the scientific method. And there simply isn't any way to do an experiment to prove or disprove the existence of God. Some people take that to mean they should have faith and believe in Him since His existence hasn't been disproven. I and many others don't believe in God because His existence hasn't been proven.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 02-04-2002, 09:00 PM   #11
The_Dunadan
Knight

Now Playing:
ok, i'll start putting IMO. and what do you believe in xantar. i'll address your post later. don't got time right now.

Old 02-04-2002, 09:10 PM   #12
BigJustinW
The Greatest One

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by Xantar

Anyway, I don't believe in God because I only believe in what can be proven through the scientific method. And there simply isn't any way to do an experiment to prove or disprove the existence of God.
What is the "scientific method"? (make the answer as short as possible)

Other questions:

Have you went to church and prayed the "correct" way?

Have you read and comprehended most/all of the bible?

Old 02-04-2002, 09:22 PM   #13
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

*sigh*

Fine. I'll play.

The scientific method is a way of investigating the universe. It goes like this:

1. Observe some aspect of the universe.
2. Invent a tentative description, called a hypothesis, that is consistent with what you have observed.
3. Use the hypothesis to make predictions.
4. Test those predictions by experiments or further observations and modify the hypothesis in the light of your results.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until there are no discrepancies between theory and experiment and/or observation.

No, I have not gone to Church and prayed the correct way. And before you jump on me, I don't believe that anything I may or may not feel while praying is a result of God. I attribute feelings to hormones and synapses firing in my head.

I have read the Bible, but don't expect me to remember any passage you quote at me. You might as well treat me like a total ignoramus on the subject.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 02-04-2002, 09:23 PM   #14
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

IMO, it doesn't make sense... that something could create something out of nowhere like the poof tree thing or that there's some major big force power thingy "watching over" us...

and there's no way to prove that there is a god, but the problem is, there's no way to prove it WRONG so both sides keep arguin' and it never ends...

People believe in god'n'stuff, fine with me... but IMO, it doesn't sound logical or whatever... it doesn't make-a-de-sense...

and don't ask me to explain it, cuz when I do it has things that might be "offending" to people who believe in god...

cuz like all the religious people are like "I believe this I believe that" and the proof is only what they believe, so it's not really proof, but then someone says "Yeah, well I believe he doesn't exist" and the religious people are like "Do you have any PROOF that he doesn't exist?" and I'm like "Do you have any PROOF that he does exist?" heh heh ehe h hehe heh heh *hic* *runs away*

Old 02-04-2002, 09:30 PM   #15
BigJustinW
The Greatest One

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by Xantar
*sigh*

Fine. I'll play.
I understand why you don't really want to argue... but for me, GT has become damn boring, so I kinda need this. Nobody is going to prove anything to anybody, but we can always argue for the hell of it.

Quote:
The scientific method is a way of investigating the universe. It goes like this:

1. Observe some aspect of the universe.
2. Invent a tentative description, called a hypothesis, that is consistent with what you have observed.
3. Use the hypothesis to make predictions.
4. Test those predictions by experiments or further observations and modify the hypothesis in the light of your results.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until there are no discrepancies between theory and experiment and/or observation.

No, I have not gone to Church and prayed the correct way. And before you jump on me, I don't believe that anything I may or may not feel while praying is a result of God. I attribute feelings to hormones and synapses firing in my head.
Quote:
Anyway, I don't believe in God because I only believe in what can be proven through the scientific method.
Ugh... if you haven't experimented with somthing yourself, how can you prove somthing?

You have a hypotesis.... you've made predictions, but you haven't tested them. 2 out of 4 steps.

Now, tell me again, why don't you believe in God?

Closed Thread