Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

I No Longer Bleed Green
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default I No Longer Bleed Green

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4397938

Fuck the Philadelphia Eagles. I'm so pissed right now...

Re: I No Longer Bleed Green
Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess
Default Re: I No Longer Bleed Green

Yeah, I was completely shocked at this announcement. Knowing the Eagles, Michael Vick was seriously the last person I would ever expect them to sign. Honestly, this sucks. I hope he never sees the field.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

The sad thing is, he'll be their starter.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
The Germanator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid View Post
The sad thing is, he'll be their starter.
There's no way. McNabb is the clear starter and will be for a couple of years. They will use Vick in the Wildcat formation though and unfortunately that's actually a pretty good idea because he can run and throw. From a football standpoint, it's a good move, but from a moral standpoint my guts are churning, I'm still not able to forgive the guy.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I sort of think they stocked up on Vick so maybe they can unload McNabb (or possibly Vick, but who would trade for him?) onto another team and get some prospects, or a solid player.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
The Germanator
Banned

That just doesn't really make any sense. You wouldn't make a guy your new starter who has been in jail and hasn't played in two years over the best quarterback the franchise has ever had. And they just gave McNabb a new contract. Vick is a more solid backup than Kolb and they'll use him in some different kinds of formations, but he won't start unless McNabb goes down with an injury, which is actually somewhat likely.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #7
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Honestly, I wouldn't be a fan of a team that signed Michael Vick.

I know the Packers were looking at possibly signing him, and that probably would have ended my fandom. There are certain lines that just shouldn't be crossed.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
ZebraRampage

Now Playing: Borderlands 2

This really sucks..I don't know what to do now. I just can't figure out what the Eagles decision was based on. It is probably because they want a better backup quarterback than Kolb, and the probability of McNabb getting hurt is high. Both of these guesses have been mentioned by other members, so I'm just agreeing with them.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

He needs to put put into a cage with about 15 starving pitbulls

Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #10
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS

With sports, forgiveness is won on the field. In the end, his forgiveness with Eagle fans will be earned or lost depending on if he makes that last second quarterback sneak touchdown to win the game, or whether he fumbles instead to lose the game.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:09 PM   #11
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

Wow, I totally missed this thread. Sorry guys.

I think McNabb should be the starter. On the other hand, seems like McNabb takes a ton of shit from the whole Philly organization. That's too bad because he is a talented athlete and seemingly a classy guy. I mean, no offense to all you Philly people, but if McNabb gets traded I wish him the best and hope he gets traded to a city that appreciates his talent a little more.

On the other hand, I think more than likely we will see McNabb play all season and Vick get introduced as an option or something? Perhaps they can come up with some sick McNabb/Vick combo and put Vick out there as a receiver or something. Imagine the possibilities.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

I missed this thread too. I think philly did a good thing by giving him a shot.

Some activists won't be happy with vick unless he kills himself for what he did. In my opinion, as long as he's making use of what he's gifted at, and using it to pay off his debt and repent for what he has done.. then I can't complain.

The way I see it, he could be a jackass and not do anything, and he still would have been signed probably. Throwing away the 100+ million left in his old contract and serving 2 years in prison is enough in my book alone. But he made the decision to take that, and move foward with still helping the community. So as long as he doesn't go back on his word, I support philly's decision.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
The Germanator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerGremlin View Post
Wow, I totally missed this thread. Sorry guys.

I think McNabb should be the starter. On the other hand, seems like McNabb takes a ton of shit from the whole Philly organization. That's too bad because he is a talented athlete and seemingly a classy guy. I mean, no offense to all you Philly people, but if McNabb gets traded I wish him the best and hope he gets traded to a city that appreciates his talent a little more.

On the other hand, I think more than likely we will see McNabb play all season and Vick get introduced as an option or something? Perhaps they can come up with some sick McNabb/Vick combo and put Vick out there as a receiver or something. Imagine the possibilities.
McNabb will be the starter. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "he gets shit from the whole organization." Reid has been overly faithful to McNabb throughout his career because they got to Philly at the same time. Sure, he got benched last year, but he deserved to get benched. If he was your starting QB, you would have wanted him benched, but hey, he turned it around and got his contract reworked for more money, that's not so bad.

I will agree that the fans have been tougher on him than necessary, at least if you listen to sports talk radio that's what you'll hear. I'm a firm believer that McNabb's the best QB the franchise has ever had, and I love him as a player, and I think a lot of people feel that way too. Sometimes you just hear the opposite of that because people always want to paint Philly sports fans as a bunch of assholes. And hey, some people are, we're the town that just killed a guy in the Phillies parking lot, but a lot of people are just passionate about winning.

As for how they'll use Vick, by the time he is reinstated I think he'll be #2 on the depth chart over Kevin Kolb. If McNabb gets hurt, Vick will be right in there. But I bet you see Vick in 5 or 6 plays a game even with McNabb as the starter. Whether he becomes a decoy, runs, or actually throws the ball, he'll be something the defense has to prepare for. I'm excited to see how Reid works him in there.

Old 08-18-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Can Vick even play this year? I thought I heard somewhere that Goodell still has to give him the okay to play during the regular season.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #15
The Germanator
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
Can Vick even play this year? I thought I heard somewhere that Goodell still has to give him the okay to play during the regular season.
"Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19). "

Basically, if Vick doesn't really really screw up, he'll probably be playing by week 6. The guy has done some idiotic and atrocious things, but he'd really have to have nuclear grade stupidity to do something to cause Goodell to not reinstate him. Even though I hope he helps the team, I wouldn't necessarily put it past him, so we'll see.

He's definitely playing in next Thursday's preseason game if anyone is curious.