Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Itunes Question
Old 09-26-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
Default Itunes Question

Okay, so Im trying to burn a MP3 CD using Itunes. It wont let me burn a lot of the songs I want to because theyre not in the MP3 format. They are songs that Ive just imported from the CD's I actually own, and theyre in the AAC audio format. Is there any easy way to convert all of these songs to the MP3 format? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

Re: Itunes Question
Old 09-26-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:
Default Re: Itunes Question

If you're using a Mac, yes, very easy.

Otherwise, not quite as easy.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
Jason1
J-Dub

Actually, I think I figured it out myself. I just did a search in the Itunes help. It is kinda a pain the way they tell you, but I can do it, no problem.

Oh, and BTW, would you recommend a Apple Notebook? Are they any good? Because ive been thinking about getting a notebook for college, and the only reason I havent gotten an Apple computer in the past is because you cant play games on them, but I wouldnt really need to play games on a notebook for college.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:42 PM   #4
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

Preferences > Advanced > Importing > Import Using: MP3 Encoder

Go back to library, highlight all songs that are in AAC. The click Advanced > Convert Selection to MP3

Old 09-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
Jason1
J-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMaster
Preferences > Advanced > Importing > Import Using: MP3 Encoder

Go back to library, highlight all songs that are in AAC. The click Advanced > Convert Selection to MP3

Yea, thats exactly what I did, thanks.

Old 09-26-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1
Actually, I think I figured it out myself. I just did a search in the Itunes help. It is kinda a pain the way they tell you, but I can do it, no problem.

Oh, and BTW, would you recommend a Apple Notebook? Are they any good? Because ive been thinking about getting a notebook for college, and the only reason I havent gotten an Apple computer in the past is because you cant play games on them, but I wouldnt really need to play games on a notebook for college.
Yes, I do recommend it. But I'm a Mac enthusiast.

Anyhow, they say the Apple notebooks are their best value. A Mac and a Windows laptop of equivalent power cost about the same. But the Mac gets the stability and elegance of OS X.

And if you do get an Apple notebook, I say go all out and get a G4. These days, a G4 can still be perfectly functional and up to date and do everything you want it to do for at least five years (like mine). The money you save by not buying a new computer will be worth it.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 09-26-2005, 10:34 PM   #7
Stonecutter
Knight

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1
Yea, thats exactly what I did, thanks.

That's cancer for your audio quality, you know.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:54 PM   #8
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

An audiophile is one who is concerned with achieving high-quality results in the recording and playback of music.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:55 PM   #9
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:

Get a 15" PowerBook. Heaven.

Anyway, automator would've worked so well for this, it's not even funny.

Old 09-27-2005, 02:27 AM   #10
jeepnut
Mr. Sarcasm

Now Playing:

I'm considering a 15inch powerbook. However, the intel switch has me a little worried. I'm wondering if I should wait for the new processors or go ahead and get one of the last PowerPCs.

"Truth is not determined by a majority vote." - Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI Putting the smackdown on heresy since 1981
"Abortion is mean." - Rock For Life
"Remember men, we're all in the same boat - and women are on the shore, laughing." - Red Green

Old 10-02-2005, 03:29 PM   #11
jeepnut
Mr. Sarcasm

Now Playing:

What? None of the mac nerds around here want to respond to my post?

"Truth is not determined by a majority vote." - Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI Putting the smackdown on heresy since 1981
"Remember men, we're all in the same boat - and women are on the shore, laughing." - Red Green

Old 10-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #12
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

I would actually get one of the last PowerPCs. They've been using that processor for a good while now and have pretty much hammered out all the dents. My first Mac was a Performa 6200 which I think was made around the same time they had just started using the PowerPC processor and it was quite a buggy machine. That was partly due to OS 7 though. Anyway, my point is that the PowerPC processor is pretty much optimized for Macs while the Intel processor is unmapped territory, so to speak. I don't think Apple will have buggy computers or anything but I'm certain there'll be some issues for the at least the first year or two until they have it all figured out and perfected.

Old 10-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #13
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnut
I'm considering a 15inch powerbook. However, the intel switch has me a little worried. I'm wondering if I should wait for the new processors or go ahead and get one of the last PowerPCs.
Oh fine, I'll answer since you're being pushy.

The way I see it, this is the same dilemma that you always face as a computer buyer. There will always be something better a year from now. I'm betting that eventually, the Intel based Macs will outstrip current Power PC computers. But that's later. This is now. Moore's law says Macs will be about twice as fast as they are now in about 18 months, and there's no reason to believe the rate will get dramatically faster just because they've switched to a different brand of processor.

So I say as long as it's not just a month or so before Macworld, go ahead and buy the computer now. You'll come to feel jealous of the Intel computers, but hey, that's just the way it goes.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 10-02-2005, 05:22 PM   #14
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnut
1) The Intel switch is far away. If you want a Mac, get one.

2) We don't know which products are going to be affected first. Might be consumer models, might be pro models. Might be desktops, might be laptops. Might be servers.

3) Few software programs are compiled for Intel right now. They all run natively on PPC.

4) Every piece of software for the remainder of OS X's life, and most likely OS 11 will be able to run PPC builds. It's no where near out of date (we can still run OS 9).

5) The 15" PowerBook is just so l33t and sexy. I'm using one right now, just not with the drop protection or scrolling touchpad

Old 10-03-2005, 12:43 AM   #15
jeepnut
Mr. Sarcasm

Now Playing:

If I was buying now, I probably wouldn't be questioning it. However, my purchase is still 4 to 6 maybe more months down the road. I'm not really worried about the processor being fast enough. I know that there will always be faster processors just month's after I get mine and I can deal with that. What I'm really worried about though, is heat and battery life. I hear current Powerbooks will make you wish you had asbestos thighs and that the battery life is acceptable but far less than one would like at about 3 hours. (Even though Apple claims 5.) I'd like to be able to watch a movie on the battery and still have enough juice to do some web-surfing or word-processing before I have to plug back in when traveling. At 3 hours, this would cut it close. In addition, I've read in many reviews that when watching DVDs, battery life is actually closer to 2 and a half hours.

The main reason I would want to wait for the Intel switch is because the Intel processors are supposed to at least partly solve the heat/battery life problem. After all, this is that prime reason that Apple is switching. They can't get the G5 to run cool enough or efficiently enough for laptops.

Anyway, my schedule would put me about 6 or so months from when the first Mactels ship (June 2006). It's my guess and it seems a lot of online sites think so as well, that the first Mactels are likely to be laptops. Specifically the Powerbook line. They do seem to be the most in need of a new brain.

Naturally also, I wouldn't really want to get the first iteration of the new PBs, but part of me wants to wait and see what improvement there is if any. I'm almost sold on getting a Power PC instead of waiting, but I'm just trying to get as many opinions as I can. Thanks for your answers so far.

/me pushes Xantar some more.