Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

GOP Debate Thoughts
Old 05-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default GOP Debate Thoughts

- John McCain looks like Emporer Palpatine. He's jumped the shark.
- Tom Tancredo (sp?) is nuts.
- Ron Paul makes Tom look sane.
- Who the **** is Gilmore?
- Rudy Guliani was surprisingly mediocre.
- Sam Brownback was surprisingly strong.
- President Huckabee? He's doomed just because of his name.
- Mitt Romney is your next President of the United States. I'm calling it right now. Tall, good looking, knowledgeable and confident. When I look at him I see Ronald Reagan, and it has nothing to due with his policies. We may see the return of the Great Communicator.

Re: GOP Debate Thoughts
Old 05-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS
Default Re: GOP Debate Thoughts

Thursday, May 03, 2007
"Glorious day of human liberty and freedom"
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Those are the words Kansas Sen. Sam Brownback used to describe the day Roe v. Wade was hypothetically repealed.

Nine out of the 10 GOP presidential candidates also endorsed repealing the abortion decision, with Colorado Rep. Tom Tancredo saying "that would be the greatest day in this country's history."

Former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani was the lone hold-out.

-----

Yikes. Greatest day in USA history? Heck I failed US history and even I can think of a hundred different days that would be greater than that day, even if I were anti-abortion.

I didn't catch the debate, so this ticker they got at CNN helped fill me in a bit. http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/

Old 05-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Well lets clarify those comments, Mana. Yes, they are against Roe vs. Wade, but few of them said they were 100% against abortion. Roe vs. Wade is horrible law and should be repealed, but that does not equal banning abortion, it means passing good abortion law. Law that is specific and qualifies life, and doesn't just give carte blanche when it comes to ending pregnancies.

How many years have we spent arguing over Roe vs. Wade because it is horribly ambiguous precedent? If we pass clear and specific law in it's stead, then we can stop this rediculous bickering, protect burgeoning life while allowing women to have a right to choose but not KILL and get to important issues. I think that is more the point that most of the candidates were trying to convey.

Everyone, lets not just concentrate on abortion, lets keep this about the debate. If you want to address the abortion issue, please do, but try and keep it in the context of the debate (You're comments were fine, Mana, I'm speaking to everyone else)

Old 05-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #4
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS

Yes I see that as a problem of "seeing" the debate second-hand from CNN, because I may read their little five-sentence blurb generalizing what ten candidates had to say about one little tiny issue (hah) and obviously not really get the true spirit of what the candidates said. That said, I'm getting it second hand from you as well. Personally, saying "Glorious day of human liberty and freedom" or "that would be the greatest day in this country's history" goes a little bit further than just disagreeing with a poorly clarified court decision.

I know what you mean, I don't want to steer this towards abortion either. Rather boring subject that goes no where anyhow. But I don't really want to talk about how handsome each candidate is either .

Old 05-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #5
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasecret View Post
Yes I see that as a problem of "seeing" the debate second-hand from CNN, because I may read their little five-sentence blurb generalizing what ten candidates had to say about one little tiny issue (hah) and obviously not really get the true spirit of what the candidates said. That said, I'm getting it second hand from you as well.
To be specific, I was fererring to their comments about partial birth abortion, which most of the candidates referred to when abortion was brought up. Roe vs. Wade gives the precendent that could make that disgusting practice legal again. I will dance the day Roe vs. Wade is overturned as well, and real law is passed, though I doubt it will ever happen.

And I'm glad to hear you don't trust me either. Go watch it for yourself, and then decide. If more people did that the world would be in a much better place.

Quote:
I know what you mean, I don't want to steer this towards abortion either. Rather boring subject that goes no where anyhow. But I don't really want to talk about how handsome each candidate is either .
Unfortunately thats been a big reason for winning elections since women were given the right to vote. No I'm not being sexist, just stating fact reflected by research.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Yep. It's Mit Romney.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:44 AM   #7
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

The funniest thing about the debates was the choice of moderator and analyst by MSNBC. Chris Matthews and Keith Oberman????? Thats like having a KKK member analyze a Black Panther party debate.

In hindsight, though, I thought Chris Matthews did a great job. He didn't let the candidates dictate the debate and he asked hard, but mostly fair questions. Hard questions are good, and they let you know exactly where a candidate stands, even if yes or no questions are a bit rediculous to expect. Some of the questions were also a little more like statements that the candidates had to disagree with on principle, but once again, thats good. We know where they stand. Good job on all accounts.

As for Oberman, he and his crew looked like idiots (as usual). They analyzed the debate as if it were democrats that were in it. They questioned why more of the candidates weren't more opposed to the war in Iraq... do they even pay attention to politics??? In essence, all they were providing was a demcoratic response to the debates.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #8
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
- Mitt Romney is your next President of the United States. I'm calling it right now. Tall, good looking, knowledgeable and confident. When I look at him I see Ronald Reagan, and it has nothing to due with his policies. We may see the return of the Great Communicator.
You honestly cant be serious. Hes MORMAN. Are you kidding me? They would outlaw premarital sex and drinking. Im serious, he would try.

Not to mention the fact he has absolutley no chance whatsoever of getting the nomination. None.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1 View Post
You honestly cant be serious. Hes MORMAN. Are you kidding me? They would outlaw premarital sex and drinking. Im serious, he would try.

Not to mention the fact he has absolutley no chance whatsoever of getting the nomination. None.
Not only is this comment bigotted, but it managed to be completely IGNORANT of any information regarding the race so far or the candidate you claim to know so much about.

1) Morman - I guess you think if he's President he'll try and make you worship Joeseph Smith, take multiple wives and eat babies as well? You should really take the time to get to know a candidate and their modern faith before making such statements.

2) He's raised more campaign funds than any other Republican candidate the last time I checked numbers.

3) He's smooth, presidential, good looking and so far can articulate his positions more effectively than any other Republican candidate.

4) Romne is tied... TIED... for FIRST PLACE in most polls of Republican constituents, even though he media is obsessed with Romne's religion and hammers it into the ground everytime they interview him. Republicans aren't going to dislike him more because of it the more they get to know him. The time for bigotted dismissal of Romne (just like your post) has passed. He has been accepted as a mainstream candidate, and that is not going to change anytime soon.

I have an idea: Listen to his actual IDEAS before slandering the man for his FAITH.

And for the record, I'm not supporting any candidate yet, but I lean Guliani so far (even though I have no idea how to spell his name), even though Romne is closing in. Time will tell.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Romne is tied... TIED... for FIRST PLACE in most polls of Republican constituents
Scary: http://movies.crooksandliars.com/GOP...-Evolution.mov

None of the folks you like raised their hands, but just showing that the disposition of the candidates as a whole isn't anything to applaud.

Quote:
And for the record, I'm not supporting any candidate yet, but I lean Guliani so far (even though I have no idea how to spell his name), even though Romne is closing in. Time will tell.
I like Giuliani as a drag queen, not as the president...although if he was in drag for speeches I suppose I could overlook his ****ty policies. I'm not quite sure how he became popular after 9/11 considering how many firefighters he got killed due to his poor decision making. Perhaps in the same way everyone loved Bush just after it happened. My, how things changed. Plus I just learned he was the reason I couldn't get a ferret back in 95. I knew they were illegal but didn't realize how much he hated them. That bastard.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Nothing all that relevant here, but an article on Romney's favorite book...Yay.

http://kutv.com/politics/local_story_123235115.html

Old 05-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #12
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Quote:
Romney later clarified, Battlefield Earth is his favorite novel, the Bible is his favorite book.
Much better...

Old 05-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #13
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1 View Post

MORMON. He's MORMON.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #14
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

the upcoming election is depressing, who is going to pick on Bush when he's not in office....i'll miss his witty comments like, "i'm the commander guy."

Old 05-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #15
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
MORMON. He's MORMON.
Right, exactly, and thats the point im trying to make. Do you know anyone who is Mormon strangler? I actually happen to have a good friend of mine, who ive known a long time, who is mormon. Dont get me wrong, I like the guy, in fact hes one of the nicest persons ive ever met, I just told you he is my friend, but his views are so whacked out crazy, he has no sense of humor, cant take a joke, ect. God forbid you say anything PG-13 rated aroud him, he will simply leave the room, im not even kidding. Im not saying all Mormans are like that, but I could see this guy coming and knocking on my door trying to get me to convert to Mormanism. Mormons try to covertley get into the discussion of religion with you, challenge your views, then change them. Trust me, my friend does it to me all the time. The point is, Its stupid, and I dont have any respect for a religion that goes door to door trying to get people to become members. If I want to be Mormon, I will, I dont need to be convinced of that. Im not trying to push my religious beliefs onto others, and I dont want anyone doing that to me. And I do believe Mitt Romney would try to brainwash the American people, because thats what Mormans do.

But really Im not sure why im arguing this, Im voting Democrat for sure this election, because Im sick of the gas prices (among other things, of course)

Last edited by Jason1 : 05-05-2007 at 08:02 PM.