Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

Cloning: Nature or Nurture
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:
Default Cloning: Nature or Nurture

Nothing to do with any article just a subject I've been thinking about. Lets get rid of the fact that cloning humans hasn't happened and may never happen. Imagine that it is possible.

Do you believe that it would be possible to recreate someone exactly? Considering the fact that the new person would have to be risen from birth.

I believe that you couldn't recreate someone on account that alot of who somebody is is what has happened to them throughout the years. What has molded them into the person they are today.

What are your thoughts?

Re: Cloning: Nature or Nurture
Old 09-08-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:
Default Re: Cloning: Nature or Nurture

In theory, you can make a clone, yes. But they wont grow up the same, obviously not, because both subjects would have undergone different experiences. But just because the clone went through different mental experiences and challanges as the original person, that doesn't make him/her less of a clone.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:16 AM   #3
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoid
In theory, you can make a clone, yes. But they wont grow up the same, obviously not, because both subjects would have undergone different experiences. But just because the clone went through different mental experiences and challanges as the original person, that doesn't make him/her less of a clone.
But when you think about it though, wouldn't that stop them from being a clone? If they have a different personality, then they are essentially a different person, aside from looks.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:17 AM   #4
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejzguy
But when you think about it though, wouldn't that stop them from being a clone? If they have a different personality, then they are essentially a different person, aside from looks.

Clone refers to DNA structure (I believe) and the way you are raised doesnt change your DNA unless you live in Chernobyl.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 AM   #5
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

Quote:
Clone refers to DNA structure (I believe) and the way you are raised doesnt change your DNA unless you live in Chernobyl.
True, but not everybody is going to check DNA structure. To the average person they will just think it is a doppleganger.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #6
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

Its not just looks that makes a clone, its the exact same genetic make up. So whatever natural process the original goes through the clone will develop that too, ie : cancer, baldness, near sighted.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:20 AM   #7
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejzguy
True, but not everybody is going to check DNA structure. To the average person they will just think it is a doppleganger.

That doesnt matter.

The fact is, the person would still be a clone.

One could be the pope, one could be the anti-christ, but one could still be a close of the other.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:45 AM   #8
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

Quote:
+ imaginary rep

BTW, I agree with Typhoid.

A clone is an exact duplicate of someone's genetic structure.

Experience and personality have nothing to do with this.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:10 AM   #9
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

+ Life rep from Dylan himself?

I feel so honoured.

Hey, hey Dylan.

Me, You, Starbucks man, one day next week.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:18 AM   #10
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

I recommend that everyone who is interested sees these two movies:

Bladerunner and Boys from Brazil

Old 09-08-2005, 01:33 AM   #11
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Bladerunner is a great movie, but isn't it actually about robots rather than clones? Now I understand that they were produced by some biological process supposedly and had DNA and everything, but I thought the central question of the movie was about the nature of humanity and life. If it was made by human hands, is it alive? The story it was based on was called Do Robots Dream of Electric Sheep?

Anyway, exactly recreating someone isn't going to be possible unless the laws of physics are wrong. It is well known that identical twins separated at birth, who are literally natural clones of each other, will turn out with different personalities. They don't even turn out the same when they are living in the same household, and that's because they don't have the exact same conversations with the same people or the exact same injuries at the exact same times or see the exact same events...and all that stuff is uncontrollable by humans.

Well ok, maybe they'd both turn out the same if you put them both in a blank cell and fed them the same stimuli through a TV or something. But aside from the ethical problems with that, you'd also end up with two very boring clones.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed

Old 09-08-2005, 01:40 AM   #12
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

Hmm... I think in the future, memories and other treasures in the brain will be able to be transferred to other brains. In the future we will be able to make perfect clones. Personality, memories, and all!

Old 09-08-2005, 01:41 AM   #13
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantar
Anyway, exactly recreating someone isn't going to be possible unless the laws of physics are wrong. It is well known that identical twins separated at birth, who are literally natural clones of each other, will turn out with different personalities. They don't even turn out the same when they are living in the same household, and that's because they don't have the exact same conversations with the same people or the exact same injuries at the exact same times or see the exact same events...and all that stuff is uncontrollable by humans.

Well ok, maybe they'd both turn out the same if you put them both in a blank cell and fed them the same stimuli through a TV or something. But aside from the ethical problems with that, you'd also end up with two very boring clones.
I've heard some interesting stories though about identical twins separated at birth that both end up having identical jobs and similar lifestyles decades down the line. Of course this isn't the same as having the "same" life exactly, but it's something to think about.

Old 09-08-2005, 01:52 AM   #14
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Funnypants
Bladerunner is a great movie, but isn't it actually about robots rather than clones? Now I understand that they were produced by some biological process supposedly and had DNA and everything, but I thought the central question of the movie was about the nature of humanity and life. If it was made by human hands, is it alive? The story it was based on was called Do Robots Dream of Electric Sheep?

I think it was Andriods not Robots , but that doesn't really matter, and in my mind the same themes are evident in the cloning debate. If we engineer as human from existing DNA, does that nake them less human? What are his rights? What if we are actually able to create a human from scratch? What will their rights be? What will he be? If we make changes in their intelligence and appearance, can we use them as slaves or track them in their careers and place ceiling based on their gene manipulation?

Beyond Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick I also recommend Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and it was actually made into a half-decent movie a few years ago.

Boys from Brazil is a great yarn about Nazi's in 1970's Brazil who clone hundreds of little Hitlers and then attempt to control their development from afar to create a new Adolph in both nature and nurture. It stars Lawrence Oivier as an old Nazi hunter and Gregory Peck in a frightening portrayal of Dr, Joseph Mengele.

Old 09-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #15
Dylflon
HockeyHockeyHockeyHockey

Location: Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey Hockey
Now Playing: Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Civ V, NHL 12

Ooh. I'm quite interested in seeing Boys From Brazil now.