Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

New Mario 128 Details
Old 03-23-2003, 08:53 PM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Cool New Mario 128 Details

Well, it's been several months since the release of Super mario Sunshine, a game that was received with a rather mixed reaction. Anyhow, before the end of last year, Nintendo or more specifically Shigeru Miyamoto confirmed that Nintendo was underway with a whole new Mario game that would feature the "newness" that was missing in Super Mario Sunshine. Anyhow, Shiggy recently sat down for an interview in Europe and had this tidbit to say about Mario.

Quote:
NTSC-UK: Was it more difficult taking Mario from 2D into 3D than it was Zelda due to Mario's innate 2D simplicity?

Miyamoto: Yes, with the long history of Super Mario Brothers and Mario himself, we knew it was going to be hard now that Mario is becoming 3D. Taking a look into the many different aspects of Mario, some things were going well because of 3D expression, but on the other hand, as you just pointed out, Mario may have become a game which is not for everybody now. That kind of feeling is actually taken very bitterly, and with the public reaction to the latest Mario games, we are already starting to develop a new Mario game that shall be different in that sense. We've just talked a bit about what's being Zelda-like, now what we think about being Mario-like is that the player has to enjoy himself just moving Mario. With the 3D expression, players can enjoy many more varieties of movements, but if we ask them are you really comfortable controlling Mario, I have to admit that not everybody appreciates controlling him now.
The quote could be taken in several manners, but first,foremost and IMO most important, I think Nintendo will finally drop the Super Mario 64 formula of platforming which included traveling to the same level 7-8 time to get all the collectible items in it.
I also believe that Nintendo will change the design of the Mario games, and make it similar to Mario games of old or something completely different?

http://www.ntsc-uk.com/MainContent/F...ruMiyamoto.htm

Also this quote or article is taken from NewTechnix, the bulk of the article is about the Metal Gear Solid news, but the last qute is the important one.

Quote:
Shigeru Miyamoto had recently announced with the specialized press that Nintendo currently worked with Konami to develop an adaptation of Metal Gear Solid on GameCube using connectivity GameCube/Game Boy Advance without giving more precise details. In an interview granted to the Official Magazine of Nintendo, Shigeru Miyamoto reveals more information and announces that a bearing of the one of the first both Metal Gear Solid should leave on GameCube initially, Metal Gear Solid 4 exclusive with the console of Nintendo is also planned for later. We do not know yet if this information drawn from the magazine is exact. The magazine had already made several errors in these old numbers (Sun Golden delicious announced on GameCube...). 1. Metal Solid GEAR: Remake GameCube (Metal GEAR Solid 3: PlayStation 2?) 2. Metal GEAR Solid 4: GameCube exclusiveness Nintendo The Official Magazine: "Shigeru Miyamoto, figure emblematic of Nintendo, benefits from the exit of Zelda to make the turn of the European capitals. We met it in Paris, where it revealed us some confidences which we divide with you throughout this page. Let us start with "excluded which kills": Metal Gear Solid 4 will be on GameCube and nowhere elsewhere! But it will undoubtedly be necessary to have patience of very long months before seeing the color of it... By then, one could see coming the bearing from the one of the first both Metal Gear Solid. The creator of Mario also confirmed the Japanese exit of Mario 128 before the end of the year in Japan. One should thus accomodate it in Europe at the beginning of 2004."

So an early 2004 release date for Mario here in the States?

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babel...Article%3D9670

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 03-23-2003, 08:58 PM   #2
Crono
Godlike

Now Playing:

Yes, thank God they will actually do something different with the next Mario game!

As for MGS4... hmm... well... I dunno what to think of that. I've never really been a big fan of the series. If Nintendo is making deals with Konami, they should try to get some other good Konami franchises along with MGS (like Castlevania, Silent Hill, Suikoden, etc.).

Old 03-23-2003, 10:26 PM   #3
One Winged Angel
Knight

Now Playing: :O

anyone know what happened to Marionette? or was that the Super Mario Sunshine, I haven't kept up on my game news.

Old 03-23-2003, 11:45 PM   #4
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

Now Playing: Yo Mama

Marionette just seems to have dropped off the wire. Though it MAY pop up again like Mario 128.

Old 03-24-2003, 10:03 AM   #5
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

This is good news...very good news.

I've been waiting for a Mario game that plays more like the 2D classics for YEARS, now...this may be what I've been waiting for

As for Metal Gear Solid 4...either Kojima won't be working on it, or it will be a LONG time before we see its release. He likes to take about 3 years making his MGS projects...he strives for perfection. We saw MGS in 1998, MGS2 in 2001, and I don't expect to see MGS3 until fall 2004. MGS4? 2006 at the earliest, if Kojima is heading the project...that would be a safe presumption, no?

I really want to get my hands on a Metal Gear Solid (PSX) remake on the NEXT gen's hardware (PS3, Xbox2 etc.) That story is easily my favourite of all videogames, and seeing the game on state-of-the-art technology would be stunning.

Old 03-24-2003, 11:32 AM   #6
Shadow_Link
The PsYcHo

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
As for Metal Gear Solid 4...either Kojima won't be working on it, or it will be a LONG time before we see its release. He likes to take about 3 years making his MGS projects...he strives for perfection. We saw MGS in 1998, MGS2 in 2001, and I don't expect to see MGS3 until fall 2004. MGS4? 2006 at the earliest, if Kojima is heading the project...that would be a safe presumption, no?
Stu, is Kojima working on MGS3? I heard he wasn't directing it?

And IF MGS4 is somehow Nintendo exclusive, wouldn't it be smarter to release it for the 'next' Nintendo console and not the GC, like at launch.

Old 03-24-2003, 12:46 PM   #7
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow_Link
Stu, is Kojima working on MGS3? I heard he wasn't directing it?

And IF MGS4 is somehow Nintendo exclusive, wouldn't it be smarter to release it for the 'next' Nintendo console and not the GC, like at launch.
Kojima is working on MGS3. He said he didn't really want to make the game for the current gen (PS3 was his target), but the fans' 'demands' for the game are high enough to convince him to get working on it now, on PS2. Nothing is officially announced or anything, but there is that interview with Kojima.

And making MGS4 (or whatever) a launch title would be tricky. Kojima's team likes to research the hardware, and take time to produce the game. If the next Nintendo system comes out no later than 2006, development kits would have to be ready quite a long while before that in order for MGS4 to be a launch title.

But I still don't see how this series would be leaving Playstation I'm waiting for an official announcement, like I said...

Old 03-24-2003, 12:55 PM   #8
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

I agree with Stu... Why on earth would they stop making MGS for Sony??? I haven't heard one good answer yet... maybe they will just do it out of raw stupidity like Capcom. (or maybe Nintendo is offering up some $$$$$?)

Old 03-24-2003, 03:47 PM   #9
Shadow_Link
The PsYcHo

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGame
(or maybe Nintendo is offering up some $$$$$?)
Well, that is probably one of the best reasons. Am I the only one here that read that Miyamoto would be working with Kojima on this MG game? I'll try and find the first articles about MGS coming to the GC. Because if that is true, then the MG game would HAVE to be exclusive to the Nintendo console unless some sort of deal was struck.

Though Capcom haven't said that any deal with the RE series being on the GC involved money (they said they chose the GC because it was more capable than the PS2 at handling the game, and that it would achieve better sales than if it were on the Xbox), I think there must have been money involved somewhere, maybe not with the RE series, but probably some other games from Capcom that don't involve any of Mikami's teams (He's repeatedly expressed his opinions on how he doesn't want to work with the PS2 hardware anymore, and has said he prefers working on the GC, hence all this support from his team for the GC).

Whatever is the case though, we will find out what's what soon enough.

Old 03-24-2003, 04:34 PM   #10
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

I think Nintendo and Capcom just kiss each others asses. I doubt there was money involved, Nintendo has said before they dont work like that.

Old 03-24-2003, 05:31 PM   #11
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

Maybe Kojima's stressed to tears with the PS2's structure? Gamecube's much easier to develop for.. and Xbox is even easier. Maybe employees are complaining about creating whole new engines on the PS2 again.