Old 06-28-2002, 02:59 PM   #1
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:
Default NFL Fever 2003 Impressions (Xbox Live) & THPS4 Box Art

NFL Fever 2003 Impressions (Xbox Live):

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...872737,00.html

Quote:
We recently had an opportunity to try out NFL Fever 2003's online features in a two-on-two game on Xbox Live. We had one team in San Francisco and another in Chicago, and before starting the game, we were able to select from one of several different voice-masking options, including the popular robot and big man voice masks. You'll be able to hear what you'll sound like when selecting, so if you don't like the way a particular voice mask sounds, you can choose another one or turn it off entirely. Fever 2003 functions similarly to the online modes in Sega's NFL 2K series. Participants can select their teams--including current teams, teams from specific years, and the two Pro Bowl teams from last season--and then jump right into a game.
The gameplay was very smooth, and there was no noticeable lag in our game, though we did see some traces of it during a game that took place after ours. There was also a slight lag in the voice communication, so we would hear our opponents make comments about specific plays a second or so after they happened. In addition, when playing with two or three other teammates, you might have the tendency to discuss plays without pressing the mute button located at the top of the Xbox Live contraption that sits in the Xbox controller memory card slot, so the opposing team will occasionally hear what you're planning to run. There were also some moments, particular during kickoffs, where it wasn't entirely clear which teammate had control of the ball, but all these issues became less of a problem as we grew more familiar with the game.

You'll eventually find that playing a multiplayer game in Fever 2003 with a group of teammates requires quite a bit of communication. During our particular game, the score was still pretty close in the fourth quarter, so we agreed to stick to using defensive linemen and let the computer AI handle the defensive backs, since it seemed a little more adequately prepared to defend against long passes. On offense, you'll have to use similar kinds of communication on running plays, passing plays, and audibles so your teammates know which play you've selected.

When the opposing team goes into the menu to call a time out or view an instant replay, you'll be automatically dropped into the menu as well. If you press start, the game will say that it's waiting for the other player to get out of the menu screen. This could potentially become an annoying feature if your opponent gets really excited by replays, but at least you're not forced to watch them.

Overall, we were quite impressed with the experience, as it felt like the opponents in Chicago were sitting in the same room with us and playing the game. There was no serious lag, and the gameplay seemed solid. We'll have more on NFL Fever 2003 and Xbox Live soon.

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 Box Art:

http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=3386

Good to hear that Xbox Live seems to be working out fairly well. And just my opinion, but I am sick of the Tony Hawk series.

Re: NFL Fever 2003 Impressions (Xbox Live) & THPS4 Box Art
Old 06-28-2002, 03:41 PM   #2
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:
Default Re: NFL Fever 2003 Impressions (Xbox Live) & THPS4 Box Art

Quote:
Originally posted by Bond
And just my opinion, but I am sick of the Tony Hawk series.
I'm sick of it too. They aren't getting better, and too much of a good thing, except money, sex, and beer, just gets you sick.

Quote:
There was no serious lag
I'd hope not. Considering no one else is on the Xbox Live servers, there shouldn't be any lag.

Old 06-28-2002, 03:44 PM   #3
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:

IGN goes online too:

Quote:
IGN Xbox goes Live
We talk smack with Microsoft while playing Xbox Live.

June 28, 2002 - In case you hadn't heard, Microsoft is releasing a little thing called Xbox Live this fall. For $50 you get software, a year's subscription to Xbox Live, and a snazzy Xbox Communicator headset. There are a batch of online games coming to Xbox, one of the first being NFL Fever 2003. Though Fever ships a couple of months before the launch of Xbox Live (currently scheduled for a November release), once Xbox Live is up and kicking, gamers will have the chance to play against another gridiron diehard 3000 miles away. Only two machines can compete against each other on NFL Fever 2003, with up to eight people total (four on each machine).
I grabbed our guides editor and resident Cheesehead, Chris Carle, and took him with me to play NFL Fever 2003 against a pair of blokes in Chicago. Sitting in an office in downtown San Francisco, we were introduced to Live. Being the last batch of media to play that day, we had an advantage. No one was really gonna go out of their way, at the end of a long day, to walk us through Live step-by-step. Instead, we had the chance to figure out how to get online with our Chicago competition ourselves.

Granted, the Xbox was already connected and we already had our own unique IDs, which were stored on an orange memory card. We plopped in the memory card in the bottom slot, then slid the Communicator into the top slot and were just moments away from online glory. The headset was comfortable and light, with an earpiece for your left ear and a small mouthpiece you hardly notice once you begin playing.

The large Communicator connection plugged into the top slot has a mute button, which glows red when you're muted, and a volume control to adjust the yakking in your ear. Though the Communicator seems big, it actually doesn't add much weight at all to the controller and never made playing the game uncomfortable. In fact, the only thing that made my play uneasy was Chris Carle's glancing looks of desire. That guys needs a cold shower like jockey needs a horse to ride.

From the Fever menu, we had to sign in. Just a click on the menu and the memory card was scanned for our identities. We selected our IDs and then optimized the settings to fit our style of play. For those afraid of having their voice heard and recognized, several voice masks are available. There were only five voice masks available in the version we played, but there will be about thirty when Live launches. I chose the "cartoon" voice and Chris Carle chose "big guy." Guess someone can only be big in their fantasy online world.

To play with our pals in Chicago, all that remained was selecting the Live option from the menu. There they were, PR guru Eric Wein and Group Product Manager Xbox Sports and Racing Bill Nielsen. The Carle and I were known as Lando and Smokey, respectively. We took the modern-day Packers against the classic Gayle Sayers Chicago Bears.

We wasted no time on pleasant introductions, preferring instead to kick off the trash talk from the get go. "We'll try not to make you cry," I said. Of course, on their end my voice came off as somewhat of a low-pitched Mickey Mouse taunt thanks to the voice masking.

Turns out that was the wrong thing to say. These two Fever experts had been getting their butts handed to them all day. It's not likely that two guys who've played more Fever than most would get beaten repeatedly if they weren't playing soft to make some lesser-skilled journalists feel good about themselves. At least, that's my excuse for why we were the only set of journalists not to whoop arse. "We've lost all day," a thick, booming voice said through my headset, "and it's time to earn back some respect." Oops. Guess we woke up the sleeping giant.

Considering we'd spent a few hours the previous day practicing our Fever moves, it was utterly embarrassing to watch our failed attempts at offense. However, that didn't keep us from talking smack. Following a sweet run by Ahman Green, in which he danced, juked, and hurdled over four defenders for a twelve-yard gain, me and my Mickey Mouse voice shouted, "You can't stop me, your daddy can't stop me, even his daddy can't stop me!"

There was no latency in button presses, something that really hurt the Dreamcast sports games online. Here, when you press a button, your play performs it instantly. There were one or two spots of lag, though, where the game froze for about a second, but it was minimal and something that hopefully won't occur much, if at all, when Xbox Live launches. The only consistent lag came with the Communicator, which had about a one-to-two second delay. The sound quality wasn't the best, but about equal to your average cell phone. Live ran better than I'd thought it would. And when caught up in the drama of our ass-beating, it was hard to believe we were playing people thousands of miles away.

The game was quite a heated contest and the Communicator really made the competition sparkle. It seems like such a negligible thing, but having played both Unreal Championship and NFL Fever 2003 live with the Communicator, I can assure you it is a vital asset to the online experience. It's a Microsoft requirement that every head-to-head online Xbox game utilize the Communicator in some way, so it will certainly see a lot of use in your home.

Back to the game and our sad performance. We weren't able to connect on passes and our running game was getting stuffed like a turkey on Thanksgiving. Our one saving grace in the game was the Packer's stellar defense. One series saw us swat down four straight pass attempts leading to the necessary smack, "You might be able to get away with that in your mama's house, but you can't throw that junk in my house!"

At first Eric and Bill in Chicago seemed tentative at throwing out smack. After all, it's best to be cautious what you say to the media. Hurt someone's feelings and you could spend the next three months trying to convince them they really aren't a "dumb-wad loser sissy boy." But our constant heckling, when we weren't even winning, was enough to coax out a few slams from our Chicago competition. It was all in good fun and in the end they had the last laugh. I won't tell you the final score, but I will say that we lost by less than two touchdowns... because they missed a couple of two-point conversions. Who knew all it took was saying, "Sheesh, even my grandma goes for two," to convince a couple of nice guys to avoid kicking PATs?

We lost, but in a way we all won. Okay, actually in no way did we win. Don't let our suck deter you. Xbox Live is looking great and is on track to deliver the best online console experience possible. Look for lots more on Xbox Live over the coming months and expect to hear my Mickey Mouse voice berate you live this fall.

Old 06-28-2002, 05:34 PM   #4
-apu-
Banned

Now Playing:

i love the nfl graphics...but i don't like football games
i am looking forward to THPS4 though

Old 06-28-2002, 05:37 PM   #5
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

Thats all you need. Someone on the other side with the "Mickey Mouse" voice to kick your A$$ 77-7.

Credit to Null for sig

Old 07-04-2002, 10:34 AM   #6
Nine Inch Nail
Marquis

Now Playing:
Exclamation

Football has never really been my cup of tea, and football games have never been my bag either.

I'm definitely looking forward to THPS4 (online or not).

Old 07-09-2002, 05:37 PM   #7
Sega fan
Earl

Now Playing:

THPS4... Damn I loved the second on... The third was stale and when they took the money making out of the career it got worse.

THPS4, for god's sake the series are sooooooo monotonous. THPS4 is like playing your own custom desiegned levels with at touch of "professionalism" to them.

Old 07-12-2002, 06:44 PM   #8
Nine Inch Nail
Marquis

Now Playing:
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Sega fan
THPS4... Damn I loved the second on... The third was stale and when they took the money making out of the career it got worse.

THPS4, for god's sake the series are sooooooo monotonous. THPS4 is like playing your own custom desiegned levels with at touch of "professionalism" to them.
Each Tony Hawk has canceled out the previous Tony Hawk, IMO.

After playing the original, I didn’t think THPS2 could even improve upon the original...but it did, and completely terminated the original. Then after playing THPS2, I didn’t think THPS3 could improve upon THPS2...but it did, and altogether canceled out THPS2 (there isn’t an aspect of 2 I can think of that is better than 3)...

How could anyone think this series is going stale...it justs keeps getting better and better with time.

Neversoft must have done a deal with the devil, because this series refuses to cool down.

Old 07-12-2002, 08:35 PM   #9
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

I can't think of much else "new" they can add. They already have the manual and the revert. What else is there to add? A few things they can do is up the graphics to take advantage of each console, and online play in all 3 systems.

Credit to Null for sig

Old 07-12-2002, 10:25 PM   #10
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV

Quote:
Originally posted by Biohazard
Each Tony Hawk has canceled out the previous Tony Hawk, IMO.

After playing the original, I didn’t think THPS2 could even improve upon the original...but it did, and completely terminated the original. Then after playing THPS2, I didn’t think THPS3 could improve upon THPS2...but it did, and altogether canceled out THPS2 (there isn’t an aspect of 2 I can think of that is better than 3)...

How could anyone think this series is going stale...it justs keeps getting better and better with time.

Neversoft must have done a deal with the devil, because this series refuses to cool down.
I agree that there are heaps of THPS games, BUT I like em. And I agree with what you said about canceling out the previous ones.

I used to think "Oh another bloody THPS game" until I played it through. Then I realise how good the later games are.

So I am looking forward to 4 as well

Old 07-13-2002, 05:27 PM   #11
Sega fan
Earl

Now Playing:

I don't know about you but I enjoyed THPS2 more than the third on.

But it's because they used money to upgrade stats and boards. In the third you had to get the stupid floating icons. Also you could upgrade boards in the third THPS and that sucked.