Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Politics

Re: SOPA
Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power
Default Re: SOPA

Well that's depressing.

Last edited by Teuthida : 01-19-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

I haven't had a chance to read the proposed legislation (which just lost several endorsers today), but from my understanding this is the third or fourth revision it is has undergone, and those revisions resulted in the most controversial elements of the bill being removed.

So, it would be interesting if this backlash is intended toward a past form of the bill, or its current form.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #3
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Beware of any regulations that are sponsored by those that would be regulated by them.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
I haven't had a chance to read the proposed legislation (which just lost several endorsers today), but from my understanding this is the third or fourth revision it is has undergone, and those revisions resulted in the most controversial elements of the bill being removed.

So, it would be interesting if this backlash is intended toward a past form of the bill, or its current form.
It's still pretty silly, and basically still gives the government and any ISP the ability to say "Hey this website might lead to piracy, shut it down."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

PIPA is actually the worst offender. As far as I know nothing has been edited to that bill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_IP_Act

ACTA is the treaty that isn't getting a lot of attention right now, but it's also pretty scary. It's already been signed by several countries, and it's crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Co...rade_Agreement

It's not the piracy thing that scares people, it's the fact that these acts can basically be used to control the internet.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #5
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle View Post
It's still pretty silly, and basically still gives the government and any ISP the ability to say "Hey this website might lead to piracy, shut it down."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

PIPA is actually the worst offender. As far as I know nothing has been edited to that bill.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PROTECT_IP_Act

ACTA is the treaty that isn't getting a lot of attention right now, but it's also pretty scary. It's already been signed by several countries, and it's crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Co...rade_Agreement

It's not the piracy thing that scares people, it's the fact that these acts can basically be used to control the internet.
And just to show it, Megaupload has been shutdown.

And this is where the biggest problems with SOPA/PIPA comes in. Megaupload as a service doesn't look to provide illegal content (there are several practical use for it, and sites of a similar build)

But it does have illegal content on it, and they try to police it, but you know cut off one head, 2 more pop up.

So how does this bode for sites like MediaFire or DropBox, which provide similar services?

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 01-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Neo
Former CEO

Now Playing: Silent Hill: Downpour

I've come out against FUPAs.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #7
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

And this is happening... http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/19/tech...down/index.htm

Lotsa chaos out there!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Old 01-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Nice knowing ya, Teuth.
That little clip will land you more years in prison than the guy who killed him did.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 PM   #10
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

The RIAA has finally figured out how to beat the Internet. It's all about money, and squashing competing content. When SOPA passes, or some other form of the bill, it will be impossible to launch a website.

You will have Youtube for videos. And Facebook for social media. Any other site that tries to host videos will be sued and shut down for copyright. And once you restrict the Internet to one video website, you will have massive censorship. No more videos showing police brutality, no videos challenging the government.

The most offensive thing about SOPA is that it is setting the US government up to police the globe. Today, Megaupload was shut down. In one poof 4% of the Internet disappeared. If that isn't scary I don't know what is.

Congress and the RIAA are quickly realizing that you can no longer profit selling music and movies. So now they are going to sell culture. If SOPA passes, the Internet will be sanctioned, blacklisted, and shut down. You aren't going to have any more culture, creativity, or freedom.

Want to host a new blog or website? Nope! Copyright infringement! SOPA! You want to put your band's music on a website? NOPE! Sony music is going to sue you! You have to host it on Youtube, and pay Sony money. Don't worry though, when we channel the Internet down to 100 websites, it will be a better place.

If this sounds like crazy conspiracy talk, it really isn't. Look at what happened to Megaupload today. And that happened without SOPA.

I always said that technology always wins....I hope that holds up this time around.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

I think the only thing this will do for the music industry is destroy record labels. Bands can still put their music on the internet without getting sued, if they don't belong to a label. If they own their own shit, they can do whatever they want with it. If ANYTHING, this is the worst business move those mega-companies could hope for.

because if I have the choice of signing with Sony, and having them take my money for distributing it on the internet, and also paying to put it there;
and
Hosting it myself and not risk getting sued by anyone considering I'm not signed to a label

I think I'd go with option B, and I'm pretty sure most others would, too.
What's the point of signing to a record label, when pressing records is becoming obsolete. It's all about putting it on the internet. Digital copies. I don't need a record label to put my video or song up. I can do that for myself.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Occupy the Internet!

Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #13
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

I didn't realize how large MegaUpload was. At least there's still Rapidshare, Hotfile, FileSonic, Wupload, Uploaded, Letitbit, Extabit, FileServe, Mediafire, Depositfiles, Netload, Crocko, Filefactory, Badongo, 4shared, Przeklej, Dump, Uploading, Storage, Megashares, Furk, 4FastFile, UploadBox, GoldFile, GigaSize, Enterupload, TurboBit, Diglo, HitFile, Oron, Kickload, ZippyShare, SoundCloud, BitShare, PiggyShare, UploadStation, FreakShare, x7, SpeedyShare, and Fyels.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS

Here's the root cause that needs to be fixed --

New drugs, that take billions of dollars to create, and which are a huge plus to society -- only get 7 years of exclusive time on the market before it becomes generic. Why then does something like I dunno, old Mickey Mouse films, or more relevant -- old Beatles songs -- created decades ago for a relative pittance, still get copyright protection? What benefit to society is it for us as taxpayers to pay to protect media from decades ago? They've already made their money on it, and it's so entwined with society that it's impossible to not be a criminal when you sing a song out of hand on a Youtube video, or have it playing in the background.

Allow media holders seven years to make their money on it, not decades or infinitum or whatever it is. That would solve the problem right there, and it's fair. Media makers still get to make exclusive money, and society gets the benefit of the media innovation without having to spend money protecting kings of media forever.

Old 01-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Sounds like some Lawrence Lessig stuff Mana, and I agree with you. The funniest part about Disney is that all of their "classic" stuff was reappropriated from classic fairy tales, but if you try to touch a Disney character, watch out...Copywrite law is really whacky.

Anyway, there's this pretty sweet news!
http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/20/tech...IPA_postponed/

Hopefully they just drop it.