Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Penguin's Quickie WrestleMania x8 Impressions
Old 06-12-2002, 07:32 AM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Penguin's Quickie WrestleMania x8 Impressions

I was gonna write this last night, but I um got tied up in something.

*Looks at game evilly*

Anyhow, some quick impressions.

What They Did Right
-For the most part, the entrances are spot on.
-The graphics are pretty nice
-The flow of the match is decent.
-Interaction with weapons and the Cell is fun. You can jump on someone from the top of the Cell (You can do it when they on the floor or climbing), you can punch them off the cell (or any other strong striking move) or you can throw them through the Cell. The ladder is just as cool. So far I've done a suplex off off the ladder and punched the other dude off, but there are two ladders in the match, I'm gonna have to test out if you can use both. The tables can be put in the corner to do moves through, it's pretty cool.
-Nice selection of wrestlers
-Nice selection of match types and arenas

What they Did Wrong
-The background music is horrid, it sounds like someone borrowed an NES soundtrack.
-I only made one character so I can't pass fair judgement but so far it seems pretty bad.
-Some control issues. Moves the require two buttons (Finishers, evda+ grapple, Irish whip) are ok, but then when that button combination doubles for something else (picking up weapons, picking up oppenents into a grapple) it gets annoying.
-Overselling. SmackDown! has an issue with no selling, No Mercy was good with selling, but this game oversells.
-Small assortment of moves, I would say each person got like 35-35 moves.

Well, I think that is about it for my impressions except that I find the game to be barrels of fun, hopefully it stays like that for a long time.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 06-12-2002, 09:36 AM   #2
fingersman
The sexiest man in Gametavern

Now Playing: with God and opporunities
Talking

Hmmmmmmm we'll see....I'll post my impression if I get the game. ( hopefully I will)

Old 06-16-2002, 05:14 PM   #3
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Well for more of my impressions. I've went through almost all the Championship modes except for Tag Team (Because your partner is a dumb@$$). It's much like Revenge's title mode. You go through a series of match culminatin with the final match between the Champ. Some differences includes random matches like TLC, Hardcore, Ladder and HIAC. It also moves up from One on One to Triple Threat to Fatal 4 Ways and finally an one on one with the Champ. This is how you unlock all the hidden characters and one of the hidden arenas. The mode really has no use after that IMO.

Next up is Battle of the Belt which has a collection of belts from old WWF/WCW/ECW titles to other fedearions to created belts. It's much like Path of Champions except that there are about 3 less matches and it's all singles match. The main difference is the fact that once you lose you got to start over unlike POC which allowsyou to continue.The belts would have meant so much more if you could have defended then in Exhbition mode with up to 4 players instead you can only do one on one unification matches. Which really bites the big one IMO.

The game truly shines in the multiplayer realm. It's just so much fun with 3 of your friends. Nothing beats a 4 player HIAC or TLC match. It's just so damn choatic it's fun. Some of the other matches are cool as well such as Battle Royale. The ref in the game is real cool also. You can get him distracted to cheat behind his back or get DQed for beating him up if there are DQs on. One of my favorite things is when he pushes an illegal man out the room, it creates enough time for some fun. So for you folks who get eliminated in Four Way matches and like to seek your revenge.

The game does have it's share of problems and glitches such as this screwjob ref. On two seperate occassion, we had Battle Roayle and someone got pinned and kicked out, but the ref continued to count and they got eliminated. Happened to me. I tell you Hebner loves to screw Great wrestlers.

On a whole, I'm pretty pleased in my purchase of the game. It has it's share of flaws and things that could have been put in if they used the time (Such as defending titles and a better CAW).

Quote:

Old 06-16-2002, 08:27 PM   #4
Joeiss
Pinned by Dyne on Festivus

Now Playing: SOCOM: US Navy SEALS

Sounds pretty good! 4-player sounds amazing, especially in HIAC.

Tell us more, BaB!!!!

Old 06-16-2002, 08:48 PM   #5
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

*SLips Joeiss the 50 bucks for replying*

Anyhow, I wanted to mention the reversal/counter system that I forgot to mention in the other posts.

The system is rather focused as there is a reversal for every move in the game. Well, I really don't know the difference between reversals and counters but you can block every move even finishers.

Some of the common reversals/counters are:

Suplex into another suplex
Fall behind from a scoop slam
Axe handle to the back for Atomic Drops and stuff
Punches to the head to reverse Reverse DDT and Suplex
Kick to the head to block submission moves

As for finishers, some of the ones I've seen or heard about:
Stunner gets pushed off
Rock Bottom elbows to the back of his head
Angle Slam the oppenent slips off his back
Last Ride, you punch Taker in the head and fall ontop of him
Pedigree is reversed with a back bodydrop
The walls of Jericho is blocked with a few punches than a kick to Jericho
You move out of the wway of the Five Star and Swantom
Hogan is punched in the head with the legdrop

That is all I could remember.

Quote:

Old 06-17-2002, 01:46 AM   #6
nWoCHRISnWo
Mr. Perfect

Now Playing:

I say that it's pretty much like Smackdown, except every part is a little better. They oversell though, and what I can't stand is... Well I'll give an example because I can't explain it. Let's say I'm Austin, the computer's the Rock, and my friend's RVD. If I pick up RVD to do a scoop slam and my back happens to touch the Rock while I'm performing the move on RVD, the Rock will go down as if I hit him.

Old 06-17-2002, 08:35 AM   #7
fingersman
The sexiest man in Gametavern

Now Playing: with God and opporunities
Talking

I think the word you are looking for is collision dection problems??

Or it could be just like real wrestling when they don't get hit that hard or at all and they fall down.