Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Our stupid PC
Old 01-12-2003, 08:03 AM   #1
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:
Default Our stupid PC

We have 2 CD-ROM drives, one is a burner. Both don't work properly at the moment. You have to open it, close it, open it, close it... until it reads the CD.

Every time the PC boots up, it says there is a problem with the second CD-ROM player. Dunno what, but you have to press F1 to continue.

When one of the players work, most times the games just crash. No Alt+F4, no Ctrl+Alt+Del works. Only reset.

Right now I want to start WC3 to see if Neo is online so we can play, but alas it doesn't work.

I hate this PC.

Old 01-12-2003, 09:13 AM   #2
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

First thing that came to my mind after reading that was possibly either old drivers or bad drivers. Have you checked for driver updates?

Credit to Null for sig

Old 01-12-2003, 11:54 AM   #3
Null
The Nullified One

Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Source

new CD drives arent that expensive.

or just download a No CD crack so you dont need to put the CD's in to play games.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 01-12-2003, 03:25 PM   #4
Neo
Former CEO

Now Playing: Silent Hill: Downpour

Only thing I know to do is uninstall and then reinstall the latest drivers. If that does't work there's always tech support.

Old 01-13-2003, 04:36 AM   #5
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Hm I'll try that.
And Null, CD cracks disable multiplayer with WarCraft 3.
I could do that for DK2 though...

Old 01-13-2003, 04:25 PM   #6
Null
The Nullified One

i had a cd crack working in multiplayer WC3.

only prob was it wouldnt work for upgrading. had to keep getting the new version of the crack every update.

there are thoes that work tho.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Re: Our stupid PC
Old 01-14-2003, 04:19 AM   #7
PuPPeT
Duke

Now Playing:
Default Re: Our stupid PC

Quote:
Originally posted by Angrist
Every time the PC boots up, it says there is a problem with the second CD-ROM player. Dunno what, but you have to press F1 to continue.
That press F1 to continue error sounds like the drive is not showing up to the bios any more! Does it still show up in windows if not see if the IDE and power leads are pluged in.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:12 AM   #8
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

It's the secundary slave drive, which is our second CD-ROM. And yeah it does show up in windows. When booting up, the PC tests the drives, and recognices it, but after that it gives the warning.

And Null, Battle.net doesn't check for your CD? Or they can't? I'll try it!

Old 02-08-2003, 05:22 PM   #9
DaBigDeezy
Baron

Now Playing:

When all else fails get a proffessional!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2003, 05:25 PM   #10
Null
The Nullified One

Quote:
Originally posted by DaBigDeezy
When all else fails get a proffessional!!!!!!!!!!!

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 02-08-2003, 05:34 PM   #11
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS

Quote:
Originally posted by Angrist
It's the secundary slave drive, which is our second CD-ROM. And yeah it does show up in windows. When booting up, the PC tests the drives, and recognices it, but after that it gives the warning.

And Null, Battle.net doesn't check for your CD? Or they can't? I'll try it!
How old is the PC? Has there ever been a time when you had no problems with the CD-ROM's?

It sounds very much like a problem with the jumper settings. Any IDE drive whether CD-ROM or Hard Drive etc. have a jumper in the back of it to set whether it's a slave, master, or let the mobo decide it automatically.

I've built two computers and both times the jumper settings seem to be messed up. The errors were weird, too, kind of similar to yours where the mobo would recognize the CD-ROM but then all of a sudden wouldn't, or something like that.

If you want, you can open the PC and look at the jumper settings on the back of the CD-ROM's to see whether the Slave and Master jumpers are properly set. Or if the jumpers are on the Automatic Detect setting (I forgot the proper acronym for it), you may want to manually set the CD-ROM's to Slave or Master instead. Some mobos don't support the automatic detect, so it can screw it up.

If this doesn't sound like fun, professional help may be what you want.

BTW, I don't know if you're still here at the forums, but if you want to respond without posting, just edit your last post and I'll look at that.

Old 02-18-2003, 12:11 AM   #12
Cyrax9
1st GT Member with US Cube

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by manasecret
It sounds very much like a problem with the jumper settings. Any IDE drive whether CD-ROM or Hard Drive etc. have a jumper in the back of it to set whether it's a slave, master, or let the mobo decide it automatically.
Mansecret, this is what I was thinking as well when I read Angrist's post.

I bought a DVD-ROM Drive (Pioneer DVD-117 AVOID!!!) to replace TWO crappy DVD-ROM Drives (Pioneer DVD-116 again AVOID like the Plauge!!), because Alienware screwed be out of a working DVD-ROM Drive (That's another story though), and the solution was manually changing the Jumper switch on the backof the drive.

You may need a small screwdriver or good hands to do this Angrist, but it may be all you need to do.

If it's not detecting the drive at all, it's almost 100% a Jumper Porblem, if it's detecting it but with erros, the cables might be lose, it may be a Jumper problem, or your BIOS may not be configured correctly.

Best thing to do is try and change the Jumper Settings, and if that doesn't sound like a task you'd like to do, I'd suggest getting a Professional to look at it.

Jumper settings are a pain, but they're the only thing I can thinkof off the top of my head that's causing your problem.
#1. A short time in the future, ina living room nbot so far away...

"CONSOLE WARS IX"
It is the dawning of the 9th Console war; 23 years after the first shots were luanched from the Big "N", A new player has been screwing with the world of gaming while a former rival is developing a massive Behomth, the PSX, the Big "N" is outnumbered but theyhave a secert weapon.. he GameCube II!

#2.Freedom of speech and freedom of idiocy are not synonymous-Lady Iapetus

Old 02-18-2003, 09:25 AM   #13
The Duggler
Knight

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker & Def Jam Vendetta

Yhea, what those guy said.

Also, after that you can always try one drive at the time alone or swap the drives on different IDE ports to try to narrow the problem down.