Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

TavernTales 15: Meeting Grounds
Old 09-16-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default TavernTales 15: Meeting Grounds

I am kind of torn on the Fyacin story. There is more to tell, but think it is better told as another story later on, but I may change my mind and go back to it. For now...
---------
"Who are you?" Swan spoke in a low whisper as he still attempted to exume water from his body.

"I am called Nighthawk where I come from..."

"What type of name is Nighthawk?" Swan had to interrupt.

"Make him finish, we call ourselves Swan and Fox. It isn't THAT weird." Fox jumped in. Still in agonizing pain from the torture his former friend afflicted.

"I am called Nighthawk. My brother is a famous hero where we come from. He is called Bube. Maybe you've heard of him?"

Swan coughed up some more water, "Can't... say that I have."

"It is okay."

This time Fox holding his shoulder cut in, "Where are you taking us?"

"That I can not offer an answer."

Swan grew outraged, "Why not!"

"For I am not certain where we are going, an image came to me before I saved you. In that vision, I saw... help. I know it sounds weird, but it is how I found you two. So my vision is leading me now."

Swan nor Fox knew how to respond to this, they were just happy to be out of the clutches of the Coalition for now.

"Thank you, if we haven't said it before." Fox thanked.

"You are welcome. I hope I can be of more assistance."
----------
This building gets surprising mileage... for being a building rooftop, Bond thought to himself. They had been airborne a little more than an hour. As they travelled further and further away from the former GAMES HQ, Bond began to question where they were heading. None of the terrain he passed nor any that he could see coming up looked familar to him.

Bond trusted his friend, more than anyone in his life right now, but he just had to ask, "Where are we going?"

The high altitude combined with the air speed made it difficult for Jeepnut to hear Bond so he asked him to repeat. Bond could hardly make out what Jeepnut was saying so he got in close to be heard.

"WHERE ARE WE GOING?" Bond had to shout.

Jeepnut was startled by the volume in Bond's voice and jumped a little. "We should be there shortly. Until then, I want it to be a surprise."

Bond knew better than to question his friend anymore. He would just have to wait.
-------
Nighthawk dropped Swan and Fox off by the mouth of a bay.

"Did he really have to pick a spot by water? I think I'm going to be sick." Swan rushed behind some trees and puked up even more water.

"The next time I see Dyne, I am going to forcefeed him water, see how much he LIKES it."

Fox was too busy examing their surroundings to listen to his friend, "Where are we?"

"I have no clue friendo, I just know I don't want to be by water for a long long time."

Nighthawk landed behind Fox startling him a bit. "Sorry about that new friend, I am just getting the hang of this myself."

Nighthawk closed his eyes, he wanted to get a clearer image of his vision. "AHHHH!" There it was again. The haunting sensation that someone was watching him.

"What is it new friendo?" Swan asked concerned.

Could he tell them? Would they think he was crazy? He already had to explain how he found them by following a vision, and now he bought them to a location he did not know based on another. If he was to tell them, he felt like someone was watching him, they would surely think he needs to be committed.

"Nothing, I must have strained myself when carrying you two for so long."

"We are sorry."

"It is okay, like I said I am new to this all."

Fox finished his assesment of the area. "It seems to be a fairly decent sized location, and we are protected by water at our back. I say we rest here the night and set up camp."

Swan nodded his head, "It also looks like it would be near impossible for the Coalition to follow us. Typhoid would have been here by now and Dyne nor Dylflon have that type of speed or grace."

"Then it is settled. We set up camp."
-------------------------------

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Re: TavernTales 15: Meeting Grounds
Old 09-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
thatmariolover
GameTavern Plumber

Now Playing:
Default Re: TavernTales 15: Meeting Grounds

That was a refreshingly different chapter. I liked seeing more of Nighthawk, and am curious to see how his visions develop. He seems to think somebody's watching him, maybe even guiding him. It makes me wonder who they are, and what their goals are.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:25 PM   #3
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

If the roof is moving at such high speeds why don't Bond and jeepnut fall off?

Old 09-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #4
thatmariolover
GameTavern Plumber

Now Playing:

I would assume because it's angled in order to prevent such a thing. Sort of like a reverse Segway; the faster it goes the more angled the rooftop becomes so the force of the building's momentum simulates gravity.

Last edited by thatmariolover : 09-16-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #5
Fyacin
Knight

Now Playing: Fire Emblem, The Shadow Dragon

This is good too, this is fine....

No really, this is good!
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

Of my weaknesses I'm desperately aware. Do I even dare to repent again? Why (would you) endure the pain?

Old 09-17-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyacin View Post
This is good too, this is fine....

No really, this is good!
Dont worry I haven't killed you off yet.... I could

As for the roof...

Quote:

Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #7
Nighthawk
Marquis

Now Playing: MW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
"It is okay, like I said I am new to this all."
well, i am new to this all

Old 09-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #8
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
well, i am new to this all
And having a more established brother, I don't know where I come up with this stuff.
----------------
The three men set out in different directions to gather material for camp and any edible food they could find. They met back at the mouth of a forest entrance 20 minutes later.

They began to construct a campsite with the few leaves, branches and other equipment they could find. Swan attempted to start a fire but continous put it out while he barfed up more water. Each time, he cursed Dyne more and more. Finally, feeling pity for his new friend, Nighthawk started the fire in his place.

Fox had used his ability to catch a few fish in the water. He caught only what he needed, he was unsure how long they would be at this place.

When the campsite was set up and dinner was cooking, Swan and Fox felt it was the proper time to gather more information from Nighthawk.

"Where are you from?" Swan asked.

"I am from a small village in Europe. My family is famous over there because of my brother, the one I mentioned before."

"Interesting. Interesting." Fox had to be careful how he phrased the questions because he did not want it to appear like they were integorrating Nighthawk. "What can you tell us about yourself?"

Nighthawk went on to explain his family situation, and then the day at the market. He left out the later details such as not remembering too much of it or the haunting images that frightened him at night. Some of these remained unclear to him.

Swan wanted to continue the questioning, but something in the sky caught his attention. Fox alerted to the fact that his friend drifted off followed his glaze. What he saw baffled him, but he knew that there would be no rest on this night.
--------
After almost 2 hours of unfamilar terrain, Bond was excited to finally come across a piece of land that seemed familar. Then it dawned on him, "I know this place!"

Jeepnut let out a chuckle, "Of course you do my old friend, this is the bay we always dreamed of coming to as kids."

Bond wore a grin on his face, the first legit one for the day. His friend truly knew him well.

His smile soon disappeared though when he looked back at the events of the day. The GAMES HQ, the symbol of hope and justice in the Western world had been destroyed. His agents, some missing, some no doubtedly killed in action, would be in short supply for some time. Two criminal organizations working together. Then another thought crossed Bond's mind, one that he had ignored until now.

Neither of the groups that attacked the GAMES HQ today were the ones responsible for the deaths of other GAMES agents, that meant he had a third faction to deal with. Things were not going his way.

His professor, The Professor, whatever he wanted to be called had won this day. Granted, he had help... would they help him again. Bond and his men could not withstand another attack like that.

As he reflected upon more events, something beneath him caught his attention. "JEEPNUT!" He yelled over the roar of the building.

"What is it?" Jeepnut asked as he was preparing for a landing. He turned back to look at Bond and saw that he was pointing down. Jeepnut took his eye off the forest and looked down. It couldn't be, there was no way they could have known about this place. Even if they did, how did they beat them here?

"Could it be?" Jeepnut shouted back to Bond.

"I don't know, but one of them did control fire! Only one way to find out."

Jeepnut nodded, he aimed the rooftop a bit higher than before. He would land at the top of the forest to give them a tactical advantage.
"It appears... yeah, it looks like they are going to land at the top of the forest," Nighthawk had traced the path of the rooftop in his mind, "they want the high ground so that can't be good."

"What do you mean?" Fox asked.

"Listening to my brother tell some of his tales, I've picked up that tactical having the high ground gives you a perspective advantage so they are at least presenting themselves as hostiles."

Fox gulped. Nighthawk was right this was not good.

Swan's focus had remained fixated on the device as well, but not as much on its path. "Is it just me... or is that a flying rooftop?"

Fox nor Nighthawk had paid much attention to it before Swan pointed it out, but now that he did, they could see what he was talking about.

"It does look like a roof," Fox spoke, "on the bright side, we know the Coalition did not follow us. None of them have the ability to do that." Swan nodded in agreement.

"Even though it is not The Coalition, we could expect something equally as bad. Any ideas?"

They all looked at each other confused.

Quote:

Old 09-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #9
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

And this is the story that doesn't end. It goes on and on for pages, some people started reading not knowing what they were reading until.. well you know the song.
------------
"Looks like they are putting out the fire," one GAMES agent stated, "they must have spotted us.

"How long did you think a flying rooftop would go unnoticed?" Jeepnut did not intend to sound mean but there was not many ways to say it.

"Sorry sir," the guard sulked back into position.

"I apologize, I did not mean to sound so hurtful."

Bond walked up beside Jeepnut, "Two questions I've been wondering."

"Go ahead."

"One, how come we aren't flying off of this roof?"

"Well that's...." Jeepnut began to answer but his attention shifted to getting the roof ready for landing.

"Okay don't worry about that question, but this one is a bit more pressing, what type of landing gear does a rooftop have?"

"Ha ha. Funny you should mention that..." Bond did not like the start of this. "I only intended for the rooftop to be a last ditch escape. A one time use device as it was so never really bothered installing landing gear..."

"You mean to...."

"If I was you," Jeepnut started the rooftop into its final descent, "I would find a comfortable place and get ready for a rocky landing."

Bond stared at his friend who now wore a child-like grin on his face. Even though Bond knew he should probably be fearing for his life right now, he enjoyed the thrill and sensation of plummeting into danger. It was one of the things he missed most about the field.

The landing was indeed bumpy as they landed amongst a grove of trees which did nothing to soften the fall. Everyone was unscratched though and as much as Bond wished he could tend to him they had to act quick. He began shouting orders at all agents.

The attack would commence in precisely 4 minutes and thirty three seconds.
-------------
Nighthawk finally broke the silence when he saw the roof crash into a small grove of trees. "We need to think of something fast!"

"We're trying, new friendo." Swan responded.

Nighthawk took in the scenario to see if there was anything his brother told him that would be useful. Aww, he saw it. "Guys over there! A small forest exit, they have to come through there it gives them the most amount of cover and they are protected," he pointed up towards a clearing, "from above. We need to set a trap over there."

Fox and Swan had no better idea so they agreed and put a plan into motion. It was risky, but risky was the best they could hope for in such short notice.

They all got into position with a plan in mind. They each secretly hoped it would work.
-----------------
Bond had instructed, like Nighthawk guessed, for his men to follow him down the narrowest path available. It offered little chance for them to be flanked or ambushed. He ordered a smaller group of men to remain here and cover them below.

Each man tested their radio before setting off for their assignment.

As Bond led his men down the path towards the waterfront, his mind went through every possible scenario from every direction. He studied roots and tree markings for any signs he may have missed.

He examined his men more carefully. Not that he did not trust them, but after the events of today some of them may be shaken. Something seemed off to Bond, one of the agents.

"Officer Green!" Bond shouted back at one of the agents. The agent paid Bond little attention.

"Officer Green, I repeat!" Again Bond shouted and again the agent did not respond.

"I am going to repeat myself one more time, Officer Green!" This time the agent looked around baffled. Had Bond been calling him this whole time?

"What are you doing down there?" The agent simply shrugged his shoulders. Bond ordered all his men to circle this weird agent now.

The agent was stunned to find himself surrounded so quickly. He panicked and began moving his hand about in a bizarre manner. All of the other agents, Bond and Jeepnut began to look around for some sign that maybe he was possessed.

But there was nothing of the sort. Then they saw it, it was not bizarre at all. It was a signal!

They all tried to react, but it was too late. Everything went dark.
-------------------

Oh, this sounds bad for Bond....

Quote:

Old 09-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
thatmariolover
GameTavern Plumber

Now Playing:

So many cliffhangers! GAAAAAH!!

*Head Explodes*

Old 09-18-2008, 01:47 AM   #11
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

I think I know who it is ;P

Old 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox 6 View Post
I think I know who it is ;P
Do you?
Do you really?

*Thinks of a twist so unexpected*

Quote:

Old 09-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #13
Fyacin
Knight

Now Playing: Fire Emblem, The Shadow Dragon

I have no idea if that makes you feel better
1Co 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

Of my weaknesses I'm desperately aware. Do I even dare to repent again? Why (would you) endure the pain?

Old 09-19-2008, 01:46 AM   #14
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Work was hectic today so didn't have a chance to write at work... had to work.. ARGH
-------------
The plan that Nighthawk laid out was pretty simple. Fox would make his way into the forest through a thick school of trees and hopefully find an isolated member of the team. He would take him out and replace him.

Swan would scout overhead to keep an eye on the situation while Nighthawk would serve as a decoy while the two heroes took out their opposition.

Such is the way of life, even the simplest plans could go astray when an a single element comes unraveled. No one had calculated that Fox would be discovered so quickly. This leader had a keen eye for detail was all Swan could say as he rushed to his buddy's aid.

Swan had forgone secrecy. He remained in the trees, but in the rush to aid his friend he was not concerned with being spotted. Fox was giving him the emergency signal, the people around him would mistake it for freaking out for a moment or two, but it would not be hard to decipher.

He reached the spot just as they closed in around Fox. Swan wrapped his leg around the branch of a tree and then stretched his arms across to another. He waited until he felt he had them all lined up and then he glided down on top of them.

As he was gliding down below, he could see Fox dissolve into the ground around him. He would use the temporary distraction as a means of escape.

After Swan landed, he could feel the pursuers underneath him punching and kicking. It had little effect on him. When he turned up to laugh, he saw a face staring at him.

The face stared back at for a second, but seemingly put the pieces together that Swan was human, "Open fire!"

Crap, Swan thought as he could hear the sound of guns being cocked. He rolled himself back up and made a break for the trees, but found his path blocked by a hail of bullets.

He tried something us and turned himself into a giant bowling ball. "Look out below going for a strike of losers, but I don't mind picking up the spare!" He shouted as he knocked down a few of the enemies in front of him.

He rolled down to the beach fast enough to avoid the stream of bullets that was aimed at him. As he reached the foot of the forest, he could see Fox and Nighthawk huddled off to the left. He uncoiled in the air and used his powers to turn into an airplane and landed gracefully next to them.

"Passengers, please be advised we are in for some hostile baggage!" Swan pointed up to the mouth of the forest where a few of their pursuers were now emptying out of.

"Let's make a mo..." Before Nigthawk could finish his statement, he had about half a dozen lasers pointed at him. The same as Fox and Swan.

"I think it's best we canceled that retreat." Fox announced as he put his hands up to surrender.

"So tell us, how'd you find this place? Do you have men on the inside?" said a man who appeared to be the leader.

"Find you! You found us!" Swan snapped back.

The leader at first seemed confused by their assertion, but then he figured it was a clever ploy for them to lower their guards. He would play their game for a bit though. "What do you mean? The name is Bond, I am the leader of G.A.M.E.S, or whatever is left of it. These are some of my agents."

Fox's eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. "Bond? The Bond! I have read so much about you! It is such a great great honor to meet you." Fox extended his hand for a handshake.

Bond was reluctant to shake hands and kept his gun aimed at the three men, "Who are you?"

"Ignore my star struck friendo for a second, we are called Fox and Swan. This," pointing towards Nighthawk, "is the man responsible for saving our lives. We may seem small time compared to GAMES, but we just dealt with the three members of the Canadian Coalition and lived to talk about it."

"You've dealt with The Coalition?" Bond asked in amazement.

Fox and Swan nodded their heads in agreement, "For far far too long, we use to be friends."

"Lower your weapons!" Bond ordered all his men. "For now, these men are to be trusted. I feel we are on the same side."

"My vision!" Nighthawk spoke for the first time this encounter. His random outburst forced everyone to look at him weird.

"Remember how I mentioned my vision said we would find assistance at this spot," Nighthawk pointed to Bond and the GAMES agents, "we found our help."

Everyone stared at Nighthawk in puzzlement. Everyone except Swan that is. Something in the water had caught his attention.

"It's a good thing we found help," he started pointing everyone towards the water, "it looks like we are about to have company."
---------------------------------

The end

Quote:

Old 09-19-2008, 03:00 AM   #15
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

I better show up in this story soon!