Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Do You Look Down on Genres?
Old 02-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:
Default Do You Look Down on Genres?

I was just talking Dead Space port with Magus, and it made me realize that in my mind a rail shooter should never be full price.

Then it got me thinking about other genres I feel are "lesser" in terms of gameplay. It is partially because I suck at them, but I never believe a fighting game should be full price either. I mean its just like two people one on one. I feel the same way about most spinoffs and party games. I mean they should lower the barrier since most of them require more equipment to enjoy (controllers, dance pads, bongos) and stuff.

So are there any genres you just don't think cut it?

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Re: Do You Look Down on Genres?
Old 02-18-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: Do You Look Down on Genres?

Pure platformers. I played Mirror's Edge and wanted to end myself after about 10 minutes.

However, platforming combined in another genre like action/adventure or even TF2, and you have yourself a hell of a time.

To me, genres are dying. Everything is cross-pollinating and I think thats the real reason why when we play a genre title, it feels so dated and one dimensional.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:25 PM   #3
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
Pure platformers. I played Mirror's Edge and wanted to end myself after about 10 minutes.

However, platforming combined in another genre like action/adventure or even TF2, and you have yourself a hell of a time.

To me, genres are dying. Everything is cross-pollinating and I think thats the real reason why when we play a genre title, it feels so dated and one dimensional.
Funny you mentioned Mirror's Edge and cross pollinating because one of my gripes with Mirror's Edge was the hacked on combat system and the very wonky shooting aspects.

Granted this was only from the demo, but it isn't a pure platformer per say.

And sure folks will probably mention Madworld, but I also don't consider beat-em ups to be somethinfg you spend a ton of cash on. They are simple and fun, but really lack depth for the most part.

Also was thinking about MMORPG, not a genre I look down upon, but I think they should reconsider their pricing structure. It would be easier for me to spend 10-15 bucks a month on a game if I didn't have to spend the initial 50 or 60 bucks on it.

Quote:

Old 02-18-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

Racing games. Why pay to drivein a simulation, when you can go out and drive :P

Old 02-18-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakABone View Post
Funny you mentioned Mirror's Edge and cross pollinating because one of my gripes with Mirror's Edge was the hacked on combat system and the very wonky shooting aspects.

Granted this was only from the demo, but it isn't a pure platformer per say.
For me the combat system was a definite afterthought and marketing decision rahter than being organic to the game. When I refer to cross pollinating, my thoughts go right to Mass Effect, a game that melds so many different types of games into one and does it so seamlessly. Its a 3rd person shooter, RPG and cinematic adventure style game. Honestly, if they make Mass Effect 2 they should add space ship to ship combat aspects and it would be the perfect game.

Old 02-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

Quote:
I was just talking Dead Space port with Magus, and it made me realize that in my mind a rail shooter should never be full price.

Then it got me thinking about other genres I feel are "lesser" in terms of gameplay. It is partially because I suck at them, but I never believe a fighting game should be full price either. I mean its just like two people one on one. I feel the same way about most spinoffs and party games. I mean they should lower the barrier since most of them require more equipment to enjoy (controllers, dance pads, bongos) and stuff.

So are there any genres you just don't think cut it?
If my understanding of the term 'rail shooter' is correct, I thought StarFox 64 was an awesome game and worth the full price of a standard video game. But that's just a single example. Couldn't vouch for any other rail shooter.

Would have to respectfully disagree with your stance on fighting games. Granted, the only series I play is Smash. But Melee was my most-played Gamecube game. And Melee and even Brawl have tons of content, stellar music, and nearly limitless hours of playability And for the number of hours I logged playing, it was probably worth a lot more than $50. And for the good fighting games, I believe just as much work goes into them as does any overrated game like GTA or MGS.

I agree with the party games, namely Mario Party and other clones like Raving Rabbids. Those games have no fun-factor when played by one's self.

I think the sports genre is definitely 'lesser'. You've played one NBA, NFL, NHL, etc, etc, etc... you've played them all. It's such a crime that they get away with releasing a new (Sports League Here) 20(XX) each year and charge full price for it. When it's the exact same. Oh wait! That's not true! We've updated our rosters and have a new 'street-ball' mode. Bullshit. Absolute bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox6
Racing games. Why pay to drivein a simulation, when you can go out and drive :P
Agreed. The only exception I would make are for the Mario Kart-like games. But I totally agree for the games like Forza that try to depict actual life-like racing. It's boring as hell too.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Hack & Slash, definately.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:32 PM   #8
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

I look down on RPG turn based games. They bore me. I used to play sports games but sometime about 6 years ago I realized that they're boring as hell, what with the repetition.
I think racing games are the shiznet. I live in a location where there a lot of curvy awesome roads to rip on but the fuzz want to take my license away now so I can't entertain that pleasure of mine so readily. I like simulation type racers because it requires a strong degree of cognitive awareness and timing....it's racing. I like the GT games for the PC. if I had the dough I'd get a nice usb wheel.
anyway, I'd say that RTS games have their limit. I used to enjoy, but now the majority of my gaming is of the 'reaction, refine' type. i'm an fps player first...ever since RTCW.
there's a reason why i don't really play games anymore. the innovation isn't keeping up with my habituation. shiiit, i've been playing f-zero GX to tide me over this gaming slump. I want to mod my wii so I can play GC games for free. there i said it. doesn't mean i will.

fuck MMORPG's. biggest grudge for a genre.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #9
Combine 017
Headcrabs!

Now Playing: ...Always playing: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode One, Half-Life 2:Episode Two, TF2, EVE

Sports, wrestling, fighting, Dynasty/Samurai series(nothing ever changes!), most racing, games made after movies and games that are rated "E".

Old 02-19-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
BreakABone
Living Legend

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combine 017 View Post
Sports, wrestling, fighting, Dynasty/Samurai series(nothing ever changes!), most racing, games made after movies and games that are rated "E".
Let's call a spade a spade with you, I've seen your gaming collection.
You look down on any game that doesn't involve you killing stuff with guns preferable in the first person, but isn't needed always.

Quote:

Old 02-19-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

I look down on MMORPG's. The obvious exception for me is Phantasy Star Universe though, but it's not massively multiplayer per se.

I can't stand games like KOTOR and WoW though with the whole delayed battle system. I hated the battle system in KOTOR. Mass Effect was much better because when I clicked a button it actually did something right away.

Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #12
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

While I am a sucker for them, I look down on sports games. Each year it's 70 bucks for what is practically a roster update - yet here I am buying NHL games each year.

I also tend to look down on mindless hack and slash games, like Dynasty Warriors or God of War - I just don't see how any of those games really differ from eachother. Storyline, yeah I get it - but gameplay-wise.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #13
Combine 017
Headcrabs!

Now Playing: ...Always playing: Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2:Episode One, Half-Life 2:Episode Two, TF2, EVE

Quote:
Let's call a spade a spade with you, I've seen your gaming collection.
You look down on any game that doesn't involve you killing stuff with guns preferable in the first person, but isn't needed always.
Ya, ill agree with that.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 AM   #14
capablemachine
Baron

Now Playing:

Sports
Racing
FPS

I've never really liked any of these genres. The thing games need now is variety and a bit of imagination.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #15
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
Mass Effect was much better because when I clicked a button it actually did something right away.
To me, Mass Effect's combat system was and is the best in all of gaming. It as robust and allowed for strategy but also demanded quick and agile decision making with a bit of fast twitch thrown in. It was technically "pause and play" RPG combat, but it was so well done you never felt disconnected.

As for genre gaming, I still think there is a place for it, but the game needs to be almost perfect and advance the genre. Example: Fighting games. I haven't purchased a fighting game since Dead or Alive 2 (or three) and thats because it was a launch title with the Xbox and it looked SWEET. I enjoyed the game, but it still wasn't impactful. But looking at the new Street Fighter 3D reboot, I want that game very much for some reason because it looks so polished.