Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming
View Poll Results: Are GameSpot Retarded Fanboys?
Absolutely, just like GamePro Magazine 2 50.00%
All of the above 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. This poll is closed

Is Gamespot Retarded?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
Crash
Mr. Mjolnir

Now Playing: Re:4 Wii
Default Is Gamespot Retarded?

Quote:
Hey there,
I recently picked up a PSP with Ridge Racer and Metal Gear Ac!d (and naturally, Lumines will be soon to follow), and I've had some fun putting videos and photos on my handy little system. Basically, I think this device is really awesome, especially compared to the Nintendo DS. I've seen it, I've played with it, and frankly, nothing will convince me that dual, touch-screen gaming is a particularly good idea (especially when married with nintendo 64-era graphics). My friends agree, and yet the DS keeps selling into the millions; is Nintendogs REALLY that fun? Does the Nintendo name really carry enough weight that Mario 64 with worse controls can move millions of units? What's your take on all of this?

Aaron Fitzpatrick
Toronto, Canada

First off, don't sell the DS short yet. As I've said time and time again here on this very feature, the upcoming DS lineup is super promising. Recent games like Meteos and Kirby: Canvas Curse are good examples of that.

Anyway, to answer your question...yes, the Nintendo name does carry enough weight, especially in the handheld market, to get it the kind of sales the system has enjoyed thus far. At least, that's what sold the systems. The game attach rate is still very low last I'd heard (something like two per system, or something), though I imagine that'll change over time. But, to answer your question...yes, Nintendo's name pretty much sold the majority of those initial units all by itself. -- A.N.
and when someone calls them on the carpet.....

Quote:
I'm sick of people saying PSP is better then DS because it has better graphics, or Xbox is better then PS2 because of better graphics. Why do people play games just to look at them? I understand having good graphics is important but substituting good graphics for good gameplay is pointless! I don't know about you but I think that as long as the game is fun it's a good game. Take Animal Crossing for example, the graphics look like those for the N64, but it's so fun people are still playing it to this day! And I can name loads of GBA games that are fun but don't have top of the line graphics. Why do so many people consider better games as games with better graphics?

Zsky2
Earth

I already covered the majority of my thoughts on this subject in this week's Rant of the Week, but I'll just add that what, precisely, is making you think that PSP games don't have good gameplay? Yeah, there are a few crap titles on that system, but have you played Lumines? Or Wipeout? Ridge Racer? Tony Hawk? Twisted Metal? Right. Play those, then get back to me. KTHXBYE. -- A.N.

avoidinig the question, because they are retarded fanboys

:-(

Re: Is Gamespot Retarded?
Old 08-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Null
The Nullified One

Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Source
Default Re: Is Gamespot Retarded?

have to say i agree with him. Nintendos name did sell much of the systems. that doesnt mean the DS is good or bad, it just means nintendo has a very strong name in the handheld market.

i dont see whats so fanboy, he didnt go out of his way to bash one system over another, he gave an honest opinion. Why cant people hear others opinions without getting so upset? just makes the person getting upset sound more like a fanboy the the person who gave the opinion in the first place.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 08-02-2005, 04:40 PM   #3
Crash
Mr. Mjolnir

Now Playing: Re:4 Wii

you're right..... always spoiling my fun with logical thinking

Old 08-02-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

The only thing that screams fanboy to me, is this thread.

EDIT: For reference, that was a joke.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

I could give 2 ****es less what people say. I like the DS for being unique but not overly "weird" to developers. PSP is more of the "jack of all trades, master of none" I guess It does a mixture of things well.

In the end..who cares. Both companies are going nowhere. It was a well known and documented many times by Nintendo they will lose some of the market. You can only go so high before someone challenges what you do and lose some.

Credit to Null for sig

Old 08-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #6
MuGen
Fuuton Rasenshuriken

Now Playing: Enchanted Arms PS3

The PSP will only get better considering it's ability to update features via online or a patch. The Emulators are cool, but I'll wait until they find a way around the Firmware issue.

I have to admit now, I use my PSP more for Videos, Music, and Internet access anywhere more then my games. I've played Darkstalkers, and Coded Arms but only sometimes. But then the digital camera peripheral is coming out, then even more firmware updates to add cool new features and codecs will come out. The PSP will become my ultimate portable... whether it be gaming or overall multimedia.

Time willl only tell.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:54 PM   #7
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null
have to say i agree with him. Nintendos name did sell much of the systems. that doesnt mean the DS is good or bad, it just means nintendo has a very strong name in the handheld market.
the same thing could be said about any product, or any company for that matter.

Of course the name sells the system.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:57 PM   #8
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
the same thing could be said about any product, or any company for that matter.

Of course the name sells the system.
*cough* Playstation

Credit to Null for sig

Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 PM   #9
Null
The Nullified One

yes, playstations name weight in consoles right now is very much comparable to nintendos name weight in handhelds. Which is not a bad thing by any means, Companies work hard to have thier name hold that much value, they're proud that people will buy thier stuff just because they make it.

other companies it matters, not always in the same way tho, because for many products its a whole line of such and such brand, like nikes name in shoes, people will prefer nike, however, they have many many nikes to choose from, its not like nike puts out one shoe every 5 years and people will buy it just cuz its nike.

name holds weight, just not in the same exact way. depends on the prduct.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 PM   #10
DarrenMcLeod
VIP Person

Now Playing: Wii Sports, Ice Hockey, Zelda: TP

Yeah, the Playstation name holds as much (if not more) weight than the Nintendo name right now, so that arguement is full of ****.

Also, any journalist who says "KTHXBYE" loses all credibility at that moment.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:09 AM   #11
Null
The Nullified One

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenMcLeod
Yeah, the Playstation name holds as much (if not more) weight than the Nintendo name right now, so that arguement is full of ****.

Also, any journalist who says "KTHXBYE" loses all credibility at that moment.

huge difference between the playstation name in consoles and the playstation name in handhelds. nintendos name holds a LOT more weight in handhelds right now.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 08-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #12
DarrenMcLeod
VIP Person

Now Playing: Wii Sports, Ice Hockey, Zelda: TP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null
huge difference between the playstation name in consoles and the playstation name in handhelds. nintendos name holds a LOT more weight in handhelds right now.
It does, but a lot more people who were never interested in handhelds are now interested in handhelds because their "badass" PS2 is now available in a sexy portable form. Amongst handheld gamers of previous eras, yes, Nintendo's name is one they can trust. However, there are a lot of people who were raised on Playstation and are choosing a PSP, or since they converted from Nintendo to Playstation in the console market, they make the same switch in the handheld department.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
Null
The Nullified One

wish i could find a portable PS2, i'd prolly of taken that over a PSP. i liek the PS2 games.
all i can find is a portable N64

(yes that was a joke, just poking at the funny statment you made )

Anywho, i never said Sony/Playstation doesnt have any name weight in handhelds. but nintendos is FAR FAR greater, sure there are ifs and buts to everything as you want to point out. However, handheld market always has been geared more towards kids. they are starting to appeal to older audiences, but for the handheld market, Nintendo just has so much more value in thier name.

you seem to take offence to nintendo having a powerful name, which for the life of me i dont understand. its a good thing.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887