Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

If you're going to the movies...
Old 10-23-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:
Default If you're going to the movies...

If you're going to the movies this is what you should remember:

Get there before the movie starts. Its not the theatre's fault, and especially not the cashiers fault, that other people want to see movies too and so there are lines. Its your fault that you didn't realize that and get to the theatre before the movie started so you weren't late to the auditorium becuase of lines.

It is not the cashier's idea to ID people when they buy tickets to an R rated movie. It is policy and, I"m fairly certain, law. So don't cuss him out if you or your girlfriend forgot your driver's licenses at home. He's also not your friend to risk his job over, and yelling at him probably won't get him to change his mind.

Discounts are not a right. They are a privelege. A favor. The theatre has child, student, and/or senior discounts because they realize that people of those groups (or the parents of those people) probably don't have a lot of money and decided to lend a bit of a hand. That means the theatre has the right to decide under what circumstances you get that discount. If your 50, you don't get the senior discount. If you don't have a student ID, you don't get the student discount. Get over it.

If there's an obnoxiously long line at concession and you only see one person on register, do not get angry at him. Pity him. It wasn't his fault to be the only one scheduled that morning, or that all his coworkers are lazy or didn't show up. If you truly think you must let someone you don't like standing in line, politely ask the cashier to call a manager down to speak with you.

Try to be polite. I know its frustrating when something unfortunate happens, but a lot of the time its out of the employees' control. Most employees and certainly most managers will be glad to help you with whatever you need if you bring it up to them politely; in fact, the managers were probably pulled away from something entirely else just to come help you with your problem. Yelling at them because an employee forgot to your ring up your Reese's will not make them want to help you as best they can.

Pay attention. If all you can see of a employee is the top of their head just peeking over the counter, they're probably not open to take your order. If someone is standing in the back facing the complete opposite direction from the front of stand, they are probably not open to take your order. Don't walk up to that spot and wait for them to notice you, or just start spouting off your order. Double if there's a register open without any kind of line.

The ushers' job is not to pick up your trash for you. Their job is to clean up any mess from the previous showing up the movie, so you don't have to sit in trash. Please appreciate their hard work and clean up your crap.

There is no entry without a ticket. The door (ticket ripper) person doesn't care if you really have to pee. You can use the restroom right across the way. And please, don't complain when you're not allowed inside to pee without a ticket. The manager will just laugh at you behind your back and tell the door guy he did a good job.

Do these, please, and make a theatre employee just that much happier.

Feel free to add to my list GM.

/me shrugs and walks away

Current Review: Xenogears

Re: If you're going to the movies...
Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday
Default Re: If you're going to the movies...

Once the movie starts, SHUT THE **** UP!

Leave your **** for the usher to pick up. If they didn't want to clean up after me, they shouldn't have been an usher. Cleaning up for the usher is like taking your trash to the dump so you don't inconvenience the garbage man. By leaving trash to clean, you maintain their employment. If everyone cleaned up after themselves you wouldn't need as many ushers. Be messy and help the economy.

If you hear a cell phone ring or conversation, you are EXPECTED to grab their phone and hurl it against the wall.

Any parent that brings a baby to a movie is an unfit parent. Call social services immediately.

"Punks" and "Slackers" are forbidden. "Hippies" are on probation.

If you buy popcorn, chew with your mouth closed... slob.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
Null
The Nullified One

Now Playing: Counter-Strike: Source

the professor's list hits it right on.

main one is shut up, i could deal with everything else, just shut up.... dont talk, dont even whisper. because if im in there with ya, you get a pop bottle to the back of the head. and depending on how badly you talk, it might be full too.

altho after going for a while, you tend to notice the people that look like talkers and can sit away from em.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 10-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #4
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S
Once the movie starts, SHUT THE **** UP!
Unless it's Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Snakes on a Plane!

Old 10-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #5
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Quote:
Leave your **** for the usher to pick up. If they didn't want to clean up after me, they shouldn't have been an usher. Cleaning up for the usher is like taking your trash to the dump so you don't inconvenience the garbage man. By leaving trash to clean, you maintain their employment. If everyone cleaned up after themselves you wouldn't need as many ushers. Be messy and help the economy.

Are you kidding me? You really believe this? Have you ever worked as an usher? Do you even have a clue how frustrating it is to have theatres so messy that you cannot get it clean fast enough to get to the next theatre about to drop? Or how awful it is to try to clean just a completely trashed out theatre by yourself because everyone else had to work on a theatre that was even worse?

And, at least at my theatre, the amount of ushers we schedule for a day is determined by how many customers we expect to get that day, not by how much trash they leave, which actually leaves us with less ushers than we need. More people picking up their trash wouldn't affect the amount of ushers, just take some pressure off of the ushers and allow them more time to clean the restrooms and lobby like they're supposed.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:17 PM   #6
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

It's really only true for food court workers.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:40 PM   #7
ulala06
Awesome

Now Playing: with my balls

Quote:

Any parent that brings a baby to a movie is an unfit parent. Call social services immediately.

speaking of, i went cosmic bowling this weekend (midnight-3 am) and some bitch had her two 2 year old twins AND newborn there... ALL NIGHT.

it was ridiculous.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:09 PM   #8
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link1130
Are you kidding me? You really believe this? Have you ever worked as an usher? Do you even have a clue how frustrating it is to have theatres so messy that you cannot get it clean fast enough to get to the next theatre about to drop? Or how awful it is to try to clean just a completely trashed out theatre by yourself because everyone else had to work on a theatre that was even worse?

And, at least at my theatre, the amount of ushers we schedule for a day is determined by how many customers we expect to get that day, not by how much trash they leave, which actually leaves us with less ushers than we need. More people picking up their trash wouldn't affect the amount of ushers, just take some pressure off of the ushers and allow them more time to clean the restrooms and lobby like they're supposed.

* Link1130 shrugs and walks away
If you don't think trash in a theater keeps more ushers working, you are the one who is being silly. How time consuming is the job beyond cleaning? Do you really think that if cleaning was illiminated you would still have as many ushers working? Also, if you think managers don't factor in cleaning time when it is a fact of the business, either you don't realize what it means to be a manager or your managers are morons.

On a related note, when I say leave your trash, I'm not referring to "trashing the place". I leave my refuse in a neat pile below the seat, which is completely acceptable to pretty much everyone but ushers I guess.

Cleaning up is part of an usher's job. The fact ushers clean, makes it part of their job. If it wasn't, ushers wouldn't be cleaning, someone else would.. If you spent less time bitching and more time picking up my nachos you wouldn't be so pressed for time.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:33 PM   #9
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

I'm an usher manager. Except we call it floor. So I'm a floor manager. I don't handle scheduling though, that's for the general manager. And every Friday and Saturday from about 7:00-10:00 P.M. we get completley screwed. That's when everyone goes to the movies so every auditorium that lets out is usually full and thus trashed to hell. There's simply no way of getting out of it alive. The older movies or less popular ones have to be sacrafised and passed over in favor of cleaning the ones that matter like this past weekend the priorities were Flags of Our Fathers, Marie Antoinette, The Prestige, and Departed.

I have to side with Robert McCutchan. We have garbage cans outside every auditorium. Whatever people purchase from our confection stands and walk into theatres with is what they should be walking out with to dispose of at the nearest trash can. But they walk out empty handed because they're lazy, f---ing pigs. We should only be cleaning what accdientally falls out of their hand or mouth; bits of popcorn, the occasional straw wrapper, and a napkin here and there. The worst is used tissue though. Do NOT leave your f---ing used tissues in the arm rest cup holders.

There are some aisles full of popcorn. It's like people take their bags of popcorn and dump them on the floor after the movie is over. I wish there was some way I could link the garbage to it's respective owner so when garbage does get left behind, I could automatically teleport to the person(s) house. So they come home, open the front door, and, "SURPRISE! Here's all the F---ING SH-T you 'accidentally' left behind. I would've put it in the Lost and Found for ya, but I wanted to make sure you got it! Have a enjoyable evening, mother f---er!"

I wish Samuel L. Jackson would say that to them.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

Quote:
On a related note, when I say leave your trash, I'm not referring to "trashing the place". I leave my refuse in a neat pile below the seat, which is completely acceptable to pretty much everyone but ushers I guess.
They have trash cans they set up on the way out (sometimes at theaters around here employees are there holding extra trash bags open at the theater door)... It probably takes you more effort to arrange a neat pile than it would be to just pick the stuff up and carry it to the trash can since you're going that way anyways...

I guess you missed the little message before the movie asking you to "Please dispose of trash in the proper containers."? Perhaps you talk and smoke during the movie as well?

Old 10-23-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
Null
The Nullified One

Quote:
If you spent less time bitching and more time picking up my nachos you wouldn't be so pressed for time.

lol. niiice. i like that

as for my opinion on the matter, i dont agree with any of you. i say lets not allow food in there AT ALL. who the hell needs to eat while watching a movie? thats not the best habit to get into in the first place. plus most people in the theatre are noisy eaters and we have to listen to them rustle through thier damn candy and popcorn bags. and the bastards that CRUNCH on thier damn nachos!

DOWN WITH FOOD!

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #12
manasecret
aka George Washington

Now Playing: CSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameMaster
Whatever people purchase from our confection stands and walk into theatres with is what they should be walking out with to dispose of at the nearest trash can. But they walk out empty handed because they're lazy, f---ing pigs.
Yes! And the "throw away what you brought in" thing goes equally for every roommate who ever was. Which is pretty much every human being on earth.

Quote:
There are some aisles full of popcorn. It's like people take their bags of popcorn and dump them on the floor after the movie is over. I wish there was some way I could link the garbage to it's respective owner so when garbage does get left behind, I could automatically teleport to the person(s) house. So they come home, open the front door, and, "SURPRISE! Here's all the F---ING SH-T you 'accidentally' left behind. I would've put it in the Lost and Found for ya, but I wanted to make sure you got it! Have a enjoyable evening, mother f---er!"

Hahaha I guffawed a bit at that. What sweet revenge that would be.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:57 AM   #13
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Quote:
If you don't think trash in a theater keeps more ushers working, you are the one who is being silly. How time consuming is the job beyond cleaning? Do you really think that if cleaning was illiminated you would still have as many ushers working? Also, if you think managers don't factor in cleaning time when it is a fact of the business, either you don't realize what it means to be a manager or your managers are morons.

Cleaning up is part of an usher's job. The fact ushers clean, makes it part of their job. If it wasn't, ushers wouldn't be cleaning, someone else would.. If you spent less time bitching and more time picking up my nachos you wouldn't be so pressed for time.

Along with cleaning the theatres the ushers also need to exit-greet those theatres ("Thank you for coming. Have a nice day." along with having an extra trash can for you to use to throw away your trash) and clean the restrooms and lobby. If the theatres are too messy than there's no time to get to the other theatres on time or to squeeze in a restroom check.

Besides, theatres get out soon enough after each other that having a theatre that's clean just gives us time to get to those other theatres to clean. The only time where ushers have a time where they're not cleaning is when no theatres are getting out anyway.

Anyway, unless you've worked in a theatre previously and just haven't told us, I don't think you really have any kind of argument. You don't really know how the whole thing works. You're just speculating. GM and I have experience.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #14
Null
The Nullified One

well thats just it, if it was that messy and you didnt have enough time, more ushers would be hired for the extra work. (honestly, not that bad of a thing for more people to have jobs)

and if it took no time and ushers were standing around less ushers would be needed to do the job. i doubt the theatre would keep more then needed employed.

its a balance issue.

DS Friends Code:
300 721 299 757

Wii Friends Code:
4481 4992 4915 9887

Old 10-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #15
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null
well thats just it, if it was that messy and you didnt have enough time, more ushers would be hired for the extra work. (honestly, not that bad of a thing for more people to have jobs)

and if it took no time and ushers were standing around less ushers would be needed to do the job. i doubt the theatre would keep more then needed employed.

its a balance issue.
Thank You. Link and GM can thank me for their employment whenever they feel like it. And honestly, now that I know how ingrateful ushers are for my gracious gift of leaving trash in the theater, I'm going to spit my gummi bears on the floor before I leave from now on.

Such arrogant and deluded people need to be taught a lesson... and that lesson is gummi-bear spittle. HAVE AT THEE.

And on a side note, you're theater is charging me $3.50 for those friggin' Gummi Bears... so yeah... pick my trash up. Its not being sloppy, its nonviolent protest. If you have a problem, talk to your money-grubbing concession whores. VIVA LA MOVIE REVOLUCION!!!!