Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Re: Nintendo Switch
Old 01-13-2017, 11:14 AM   #16
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: Nintendo Switch

I'm pretty pumped. I think Mario and Zelda will be spectacular. I love the multiverse idea behind Mario Odyssey.

I'm also pretty excited for ARMS. I think if the motion stuff works well in the controllers it will be a very fun game.

I'll probably end up getting 1, 2 Switch just to have something to play when we have people over.

I'm also really interested to see what the HD rumble feels like. I assume it's some kind of haptic feedback technology, but I'm curious how that will actually feel and how games will use it.

I think they didn't show many other games last night because Nintendo will do the thing where it has a few directs over the next couple of months to drip feed the info out and to try and keep hype high.

We pre-ordered one this morning from Target, hopefully our order doesn't get cancelled or anything.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Now Playing: Brawl

I preordered on Amazon while they still had the preorders available. More preorders will probably be available soon.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #18
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

I never even saw them become available on Amazon, heh.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #19
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

I was a little disappointed in the presentation. There wasn't really anything there that, to me, indicated things would be any different with the Switch than they were with the Wii U. I'm okay with the Wii U, personally, but obviously it wasn't the greatest of successes.

I am a little annoyed at the current pre-order situation. I was able to get my Zelda special edition pre-order in, but the Switch was all sold out by the time I was able to try. I'm doing Best Buy so I can pick it up without waiting on a delivery. Hopefully they'll have more availability before release.

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 01-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #20
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

I think the biggest difference is that people know the Nintendo Switch exists and they did not know the Wii U existed, or at least did not realize what it was.

That was really the root of every problem with the Wii U - poor marketing led to a tiny user base so no third party support because it just wasn't worth it.

The biggest thing that the Switch has going for it, in my mind, is that they are essentially merging the 3DS userbase into the console user base. The Switch may not sell incredibly well off the bat, but I'm curious to see what happens when that first Pokemon game comes out for it.

If the system gets a user base, it will get third party games.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #21
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Hmm will probably write something up (or more than likely just post podcast episode), but I did go hands on with the device yesterday in NYC.

I got to use the controller in all of its various configurations. The best was the Joycon with Grip. Controller is super light and comfy in my hands. The biggest thing though is it added a bit of bulk to he Joycons which I feel on their own may just be a bit too tiny for my hands. We'll see.

My favorite game was Arms (dumb name), but I also didn't try Zelda and Mario wasn't playable. It takes maybe a round or two to get use to, but when you do its so fun to play. It's also not a waggle fest, well it can be if two players don't know what they are doing, but I likening it to boxing, it's about knowing when to throw a punch, fake out an opponent and foot movement. Also really catchy music.

Well it was my favorite new game. Splatoon 2 is more of Splatoon, which big fan of. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is well Mario KArt 8 with new characters, better battle mode and a few new courses.

Snippercuts is a cute eShop title and would really recommend checking out more of that. Didn't get to play 1-2-Switch because oddly... a long wait for the demo.

*Shrugs*

If you got any questions

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 01-14-2017, 12:44 PM   #22
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
The biggest thing that the Switch has going for it, in my mind, is that they are essentially merging the 3DS userbase into the console user base.
Agreed. It's the only thing Nintendo could really do, tbh. There's no point in competing with Sony by releasing a regular home console. Nintendo pretty much owns the dwindling handheld market, so I feel like the Switch the best thing they could do (aside from giving up on consoles entirely).

Old 01-14-2017, 06:28 PM   #23
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life

The Zelda I played at E3 was on the Wii U, and although it was tons of fun and looked great, it ran terribly. The framerate was extremely inconsistent. I have faith they have optimized it since, but if it really is dramatically better on Switch, I might have no choice but to buy the console. As much as I wish I could just play it on my Wii U and wait until later this fall to buy a Switch, this game could honestly be one of the best ever and I don't want my first experience playing through it to be the "crappier version". We'll see.

Otherwise the new Mario and Xenoblade 2 look incredibly good, so I'll be buying the Switch eventually without a doubt. Square Enix's 2D-looking 3D old-school-ish RPG with no real name yet looks really cool too. I am interested in the new Shin Megami but I think I'll see it on PS4 and or PC as well, but that one is something to keep an eye on for sure.

The biggest downer though is the price in Canada. I just moved back here after living in Los Angeles for a while, and I am slowly realizing again how terrible our dollar is. With tax this console will be $450, that is really high! I might import one from Japan instead where the price conversion would come out to around $350 CAD, depending on shipping prices.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:21 PM   #24
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Here are my impressions after my 3-hours hands on

http://nerdsontherocks.com/talk-of-t...ntendo-switch/

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away

Old 01-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #25
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaster View Post
The Zelda I played at E3 was on the Wii U, and although it was tons of fun and looked great, it ran terribly. The framerate was extremely inconsistent. I have faith they have optimized it since, but if it really is dramatically better on Switch, I might have no choice but to buy the console. As much as I wish I could just play it on my Wii U and wait until later this fall to buy a Switch, this game could honestly be one of the best ever and I don't want my first experience playing through it to be the "crappier version". We'll see.

Otherwise the new Mario and Xenoblade 2 look incredibly good, so I'll be buying the Switch eventually without a doubt. Square Enix's 2D-looking 3D old-school-ish RPG with no real name yet looks really cool too. I am interested in the new Shin Megami but I think I'll see it on PS4 and or PC as well, but that one is something to keep an eye on for sure.

The biggest downer though is the price in Canada. I just moved back here after living in Los Angeles for a while, and I am slowly realizing again how terrible our dollar is. With tax this console will be $450, that is really high! I might import one from Japan instead where the price conversion would come out to around $350 CAD, depending on shipping prices.
Dang, I didn't even consider the price difference in Canada :|

Old 01-17-2017, 11:41 PM   #26
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Did anyone else get flashbacks to Sonic Adventure while waching that new Mario Trailer? As in the city hub world shown in the first 10 seconds of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsFLMu05vM0 .

Zelda trailer was amazing. Im going to buy it for Wii U. I have watched some of the comparison videos and sure its a little crisper on Switch, but I really dont think its anything that will have any real negative impact on the enjoyment of the game. I gotta say they showed some cool stuff at the presentation, but it was by no means an amazing presentation. for a system that will release in less than 2 months, I didn't really think they showed enough at all...

Old 01-18-2017, 12:36 PM   #27
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

I was stoking my ninny fire for this 'console' but now I'm fairly certain I won't be rushing to buy one. My friend has it pre-ordered so I'm gonna demo down.

Is that right, $450 cdn?

I think I'm going to buy a new Radeon Vega gpu once they release Q1.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:00 PM   #28
Ginkasa
Link1130

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1 View Post
Did anyone else get flashbacks to Sonic Adventure while waching that new Mario Trailer? As in the city hub world shown in the first 10 seconds of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsFLMu05vM0 .

That was all I could think of.

Current Review: Xenogears

Old 01-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #29
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Yeah, I thought the same thing and I got worried, lol

Old 01-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #30
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

I have a lot more faith in Nintendo than Sega, though.