Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Fighting Games
Old 10-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #1
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Fighting Games

So recently TheSlyMoogle and I have become obsessed with fighting games, which is ironic because our obsessions came about at the same time without either of us knowing that the other was also becoming obsessed with them. We just happened to sign on MSN one day ad realized both of us had been playing fighter games.

Moogle is crazy about Guilty Gear XX, and when he's not eating, sleeping, or studying he is playing that game. He told me it was one of the best fighters he had ever played in his life (if not the best), so yesterday I got on Ebay and bought a brand new copy that Moogle found for about $40. I'm counting the days until I get it.

My first experiance with a fighting game came one day when I was a very little kid shopping with my parents at Wal Mart. On the way out, I saw an arcade game that I just had to play. I've loved comic books since I was a child, and when I saw a game called "Marvel vs. Capcom" I knew that I could not miss out on that experiance. My dad happened to like super hero's too, so he didnt mind giving me the quarters to play the game. I still remember to this day what characters I picked. I chose Venom, Captain America, and Spider-Man.

Needless to say I LOVED the game. I was so infatuated with it that I wanted my parents to actually buy me the arcade machine for Christmas. (I was a naive little kid, and I was only like 5 years old.)

Then when I was in the 3rd grade, I had my next encounter with a fighting game. One of my friends had a copy of Mortal Kombat for his game boy, and he let me play it one night while we were at the high school for some sort of ceremony for an award we had won for a poster contest. I loved the game, and I begged my parents to get it for me, although I dont remember why I never did get it.

Then several years later when I got to high school, my brother and I got Bloody Roar Primal Fury for the GameCube; a game that we still play to this day. It's an ok fighter, but it wasnt so awesome that I loved it as much as Marvel vs. Capcom. After the next generation consoles came out, I played a variety of fighters. I own both super smah bros. games, but I dont really consider them a hardcore fighting game, although I am awesome at it. At a friends house I played such games as Tekken and Soul Calibur II.

And now things have came about full circle. A few weeks ago I let a friend of mine borrow Dynasty Warriors 4, and in return I got.....Marvel vs. Capcom 2. I got home and immediatly started to play it. It was like a rush of memories coming back, like my childhood had been immortalized in that disc and in the characters. I had went from a five year old kid, to a junior in high school, the same place I had played Mortal Kombat, and in return I had gotten to play the game I wanted so badly as a child. The day I got to play that game again was the day of atonement for all the days in between.

I commenced to choose Captain America, Spider-Man, and Venom, then I commenced to get my ass kicked by the computer. I am now much much better at the game, and can easily beat the computer, but I traded out Captain America for Wolvereine. I dont think Wolveriene is really that great, but I'm awesome with him. He's weak, but incredibly fast. I'm all over the guy clawing him before they know what happened.

So right now I'm in the process of becoming awesome at that game, getting good at combo's and such, but I realize that at some point I'll have to let my friend have it back. heh. So then I'll buy it...

I'm also considering buying the Street Fighter Anniversary collection, because I think it's only $30 USD.

And this year is looking to be an awesome year for fighting games. We have already been given the SF: Anniversary, but here is what we have over that bloodied horizon, if you can dodge that dragon punch in time:

1. Mortal Kombat Deception (PS2, Xbox)
2. Dead or Alive Ultimate (Xbox) (Hot Girls)
3. Guilty Gear Isuka (PS2)
4. Tekken 5 (PS2)
5. King of Fighers: Maximum Impact (PS2)
6. SVC Chaos: SNK vs. Capcom (Xbox)
7. Capcom Fighting Evolution (PS2, Xbox)
8. Iron Phoenix (Xbox)
9. Fight Club (Xbox)
10. Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (Ps2)

GCN owners get screwed, which makes me glad that I also have a Ps2. But it's days like this that make me wish I had an Xbox live and a broadband connection. Online fighting would have to be fun.

What are your favorite Fighting games? And which ones have you had the most memorable experiances with? Are you planning on buying any of the games coming out? I personally am looking forward to Mortal Kombat Deception.

What's your style of fighting? Do you smash buttons, or take the time to learn the most difficult and articulate combo's until you have completely and utterly mastered a character?

Re: Fighting Games
Old 10-01-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV
Default Re: Fighting Games

Fighting game fanatic=me.

Remember it's not about the combos only......moreso the tactic you use to execute the combos in different situations.

I basically am 100% into the KOF series, SF series, MVC series, MK series (stopped recently, but Deadly alliance is pretty good), CVS series.

Haven't gone much into GG but i heard it's quite good. I usually challenge KOF @ the arcades against all the asian experts (as I'm not asian it looks pretty funny). But generally i'm classified as one of the best in Sydney @ kof 2002/2003.

Old 10-01-2004, 10:15 PM   #3
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

I'm not too big on the fighting games (one on one... some people consider "beat-em ups" to be fighting games, I enjoy those), which is fun because I own like 5 of them.... Soul Calibur 2, VF4: Evo, Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Capcom Vs. SNk2, MK2, SF2... ok so 6...

My first 'sperience with fighting games was the original SF2 on Genesis, what with playing it at my friend's house, I was big on the fighting games back then...

Nowadays though they're too much about memorizing 50 billion moves you'll never use and defeating enemies along an incredibly steep difficulty... increasing... mountain... thing...

I'd say Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 is the favorite one I own... Also fun is that it is apparently becoming one of the more valuable PS2 games on the market... For now at least...

Old 10-01-2004, 10:45 PM   #4
Fox 6
John Lennon in '67

Now Playing: Xbox 360

Soul Caliber!

Fighting games are great for parties

Old 10-01-2004, 11:08 PM   #5
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Fighting games are simple and fun carnage.

I will never forget my 17 straight wins as Raphael on Soul Caliber II at one of Dylflons parties. Man im cheap with him.

But I mean, fighting games are basically bred for parties.

Which is why I want the new Mortal Kombat game whenever it comes out.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:25 PM   #6
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

the only fighting game I ever really took the time to try and 'master' is Virtua Fighter 4, by FAR the best 3D fighting game ever made IMO. I played quite a bit of Street Fighter 2 back in the day but I used pretty basic attacks.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:30 PM   #7
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Stu
the only fighting game I ever really took the time to try and 'master' is Virtua Fighter 4, by FAR the best 3D fighting game ever made IMO. I played quite a bit of Street Fighter 2 back in the day but I used pretty basic attacks.

What about Tekken 3!?!?!?

That was possibly actually one of the best fighting games I have ever played.

Hwowrang(sp?) and Jin were my best characters.

Yes, Jin was the cheapest in the game, considering he had the "tooth fairy" which you just pressed the triangle button, and he does a reverse uppercut (punching down) and it takes away about 1/4 of your health.

Me and my friend Chris would spend like, every weekend playing this game, we bought the game one day, and within a few weeks we had all of the characters, and the highest staus' for each level on every difficulty.

Man I want to play that game.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:33 PM   #8
dropCGCF
back in the saddle

Now Playing:

I was always good at fighting games.. MVC 1&2, CvsSNK2, and such. I'm a "turtle". I like to block and counter when someone else screws up.

Old 10-01-2004, 11:46 PM   #9
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

I played VF4: Evolution for three straight months. Best fighting game this generation; hands down. GGXX takes second because of the steeper learning curve.

I like to use quick characters, as I do a lot more combos with ease. Though, when I'm on a bad controller and some things don't register, consider me screwed. I got semi-far in a GGXX tournament, but no farther, because I couldn't possibly get the controller to recognize any overdrives. Ugh.

But yeah, that's me.

Old 10-02-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
GameMaster
★★★

Now Playing:

My favorite fighting game was probably the Streets of Rage series for Genesis. Primarily for the co-op factor. Since Streets of Rage is gone, the only fighting game I play now I Super Smash Bros. Melee with my friends. We all knew the moves inside out, so for us, it's more a battle of minds. I bought Soul Calibur 2 but I didn't really like it and never play it. The arena is too small. I guess I got to used to Smash Bros. and the large fighting areas.

Old 10-02-2004, 01:37 AM   #11
Swan
Hey It's AIDS

Now Playing:

I think the first fighting game I ever played was either one of the Virtua Fighters I believe. I wanted to be that ninja guy, but I screwed up and got some other guy.

Or it was a Street Fighter game as Vega. With his cheap move where he is on the ground and he like skids. Well it was cheap then.

Right now my favorite would be Soul Calibour 2, Smash Bros. but then again I don't really play many others?
One game I remember was awesome. It was for PSone, it was called Erheirgz or something. It was made by square I believe, with Cloud, Tifa, Sephiroth and others. So much fun.

Old 10-02-2004, 10:22 AM   #12
TheSlyMoogle
Knight

Now Playing: Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyne
I played VF4: Evolution for three straight months. Best fighting game this generation; hands down. GGXX takes second because of the steeper learning curve.

I like to use quick characters, as I do a lot more combos with ease. Though, when I'm on a bad controller and some things don't register, consider me screwed. I got semi-far in a GGXX tournament, but no farther, because I couldn't possibly get the controller to recognize any overdrives. Ugh.

But yeah, that's me.

Question...

Were you playing Reload with a converter being used with a PS2 controller, because in January I plan on entering a GGX2 Reload tournement, and it's bring your own converter and controller.

Also, which characters do you use?

Old 10-02-2004, 02:18 PM   #13
Dyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlyMoogle
Question...

Were you playing Reload with a converter being used with a PS2 controller, because in January I plan on entering a GGX2 Reload tournement, and it's bring your own converter and controller.

Also, which characters do you use?
It was a BYOC, but I forgot my controller.

Reload? No.. the original PS2 version.

I use May and Faust. I'm pretty unstoppable. The only characters I have major troubles against are Axl-Low and Chip Zanuff.

Old 10-02-2004, 05:20 PM   #14
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyne
It was a BYOC, but I forgot my controller.

Reload? No.. the original PS2 version.

I use May and Faust. I'm pretty unstoppable. The only characters I have major troubles against are Axl-Low and Chip Zanuff.
Heh. Unfortunatly for you Moogle is a Chip Zanuff master.

And what is a "converter"?

How much does this "Virtua Figher 4" game that everyone is talking about sell for now days?

Old 10-02-2004, 05:30 PM   #15
Dyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr
Heh. Unfortunatly for you Moogle is a Chip Zanuff master.

And what is a "converter"?

How much does this "Virtua Figher 4" game that everyone is talking about sell for now days?
VF4 and VF4: Evo are only $20 each.

I prefer EVO. Just because.. there's a ton of stuff you can get, and it never gets boring.