Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Happy Hour

Old 12-03-2002, 09:52 PM   #31
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

Quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Stu
I'll explain it to you...the Eagles are a good team and the only playoff-worthy team they've beaten in the NFC is the Bucs...

the Eagles have had a snore for a schedule

beat teams like Atlanta, New Orleans, Green Bay, Denver, Oakland, San Diego, Miami, then get back to me...good luck in the SuperBowl...the only AFC team you've beaten is the Texans

who was/is your toughest opponent this year?

I would hope you wouldn't say the Bucs, considering they 'SUCK'

Now, as I was kind enough to answer your request, please answer mine.

The Eagles lost to the Indianapolis Colts who had recently lost to the Steelers, Redskins and Titans...the score of the game was an embarrassing 35-13, especially when the Colts had no Edgerrin James. To me, no number one team in the NFL should lose a game like that. Please explain
Well...the Eagles have also played the 49'ers, who will surely come out of the West. Basically we've beaten the division leaders of the South and West and are undefeated in our own conference. Sure, we might not have played that many tough opponents, but that's what happens when you are in an easy division to begin with. Everyone plays easy teams, and it comes down to the playoffs anyway...so hey, sometimes it is about taking care of buisness and beating the teams you are supposed to...The Packers couldn't do it while playing the Vikings, and was Tampa supposed to lose to New Orleans twice? I'll admit, the losses to Tennesee and Jacksonville were pretty awful, though at the same time Tenessee is 7-5 and still in the playoff hunt...I didn't expect the Eagles to lose so badly to the Colts, but it's not like they are a piece of trash team, as you said, they are tied for 1st in the AFC. Again in comes down to this...what does it matter losing to AFC teams when the next 4 regular season (2 playoff hopefully) are against NFC teams? Of course if we get to the super bowl we'll have to play an AFC team, but at that point, it's just one team against another, and we'll see who the true champion is.

P.S: about the 3 offensive points against the Rams...I think that was a beautiful thing...Who doesn't want a team who can only score 3 offensive points and win? As they say, defense wins championships and the Eagles cetainly have a championship caliber defense while still being a top 5 league offense. Plus it was a 3rd string quarterback who is miles below the QB that McNabb is...hence, other teams defenses can focus on our potent running game, instead of having to worry about McNabb. I just think that this proves that we are a real team, it's not like the Rams were pushovers either...they had beaten an undefeated Raiders team and had won 5 games in a row despite their overall struggles...anyway...I've wasted too much time talking football today. :-/

Old 12-03-2002, 10:56 PM   #32
ZebraRampage

Now Playing: Borderlands 2

As for the Eagles game against the Rams, there were a lot of fumbles on both sides. It was pretty chilly that evening and very windy so the ball was probably really slick, but I guess there is no excuse for fumbling if you can catch the ball in that kind of weather. And Stu I think that the Eagles can beat the Falcons, Saints, and Packers; but it is the AFC teams that they probably won't be able to beat. The AFC obviously has the tougher teams and it shows, beause look at the records of the teams. No team in the AFC can clinch their division until the last game. The AFC is a very equal conference so most of the team's scores will be equal. In the NFC, teams either have great records or horrible records, so that shows that a lot of teams in the NFC aren't real good, hence why the Eagles have an easy schedule.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:14 AM   #33
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Lets see, the Eagles beat the 49ers also, and if you don't think they are a playoff worthy team, you are being just silly. They are all around a better team than ther Falcons. If you can't see that, I don't know what else to tell you. You are blind.

True, the Eagles may have had an easy schedule, but then again they have defeated many teams as they should have, and quite handily.

Flat out: The Eagles are tied for the best record in football, and the team they are tied with they beat handily. If they aren't the best team in football, I don't know who is. But it sure as hell ain't the Falcons.

Old 12-04-2002, 04:04 PM   #34
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

Quote:
Originally posted by The Strangler
Lets see, the Eagles beat the 49ers also, and if you don't think they are a playoff worthy team, you are being just silly. They are all around a better team than ther Falcons. If you can't see that, I don't know what else to tell you. You are blind.

True, the Eagles may have had an easy schedule, but then again they have defeated many teams as they should have, and quite handily.

Flat out: The Eagles are tied for the best record in football, and the team they are tied with they beat handily. If they aren't the best team in football, I don't know who is. But it sure as hell ain't the Falcons.
This is such an easy arguement for you, Strangler, because you have 2 other Eagles fans backing you up.

First of all, the 49ers are WAY overrated. Their defense sucks, and if you contain Terell Owens, any decent team will win. If the 9ers were in a tougher division OR the AFC they wouldn't be making the playoffs this year. If you can't see that, you're retarded and blind.

With a healthy McNabb, the Eagles could very well be the best team in the NFL. (but right now, without McNabb, I can think of a handful of teams who would beat them) I myself can't really decide on who has the most complete team. Here are my nominees for best all-around team when healthy:

Philadelphia Eagles:

A blitz-happy top 3 defense (3rd in total defense to be exact) in the league backed up (when healthy) with one of the most complete quarterbacks in the league on offense. They have a couple of good backs and a deep receiving unit to keep things solidified.

Denver Broncos

Toughest defense against the run (although Tomlinson made a case against that last week) with a talented secondary to keep the big play a no-option. Their offense consists of a deep receiving unit, a very talented rookie back, and a smart quarterback.

Indianapolis Colts

Have turned around their defense to second in the NFL in overall defense. When their offense is on, they're damn near unstoppable. When Edgerrin James is healthy, he's a top 3 back in the league, as he's proven in his first 2 (and only 2 healthy) seasons when he led the league in rushing both years. Throw in the best 1-2 punch in football (Manning-Harrison) and you have the best play-action offense in the league.

Oakland Raiders

Offense is the specialty here. Two THOUSAND catch receivers (plus Jerry Porter), a veteren Pro-Bowl quarterback in Rich Gannon, and the most versitile back in the league (Charlie Garner). Their defense aint too shabby, either. Ranked 12th in overall defense, the Raiders have a very talented secondary. These guys usually take an early lead, and teams find it very hard to come back.

Miami Dolphins

A very well rounded team. On offense, they mix a smart quarterback with young receivers and a train known as Ricky Williams. It doesn't stop there though. With the 5th ranked overall defense, they can win low-scoring games if they have to. One of the most talented young ends in the game (Taylor), linebackers (Thomas) and possibly the best secondary in the league make up their D.

Green Bay Packers

Brett Favre is the heart and soul of this talented team. Their running game mixes finesse with power and the young receivers pull their weight. Their defense complicates me...They lead the league in take-aways, but I also see them do things like have the Vikings light them up and have the Bears score 14 or 17 points in the first half last week.

It would be nice if everyone could list their top 10 teams in the NFL

Last edited by Perfect Stu : 12-05-2002 at 10:08 PM.

Old 12-04-2002, 06:18 PM   #35
The Germanator
Banned

The Germanator's top 10...
1.Philadelphia Eagles (suprise pick)
2.Green Bay Packers
3.Oakland Raiders
4.Atlanta Falcons
5.Indianpolis Colts
6.Tampa Bay Buccanears
7.San Diego Chargers
8.New Orleans Saints
9.Denver Broncos
10.Miami Dolphins

Old 12-04-2002, 09:14 PM   #36
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

Quote:
Originally posted by The Germanator
2.Green Bay Packers

are you bond in disguise?

Quote:
5.Indianapolis Colts
right on the money.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:36 PM   #37
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Quote:

2.Green Bay Packers
Almost on the money!

Here are mine:

1. Green Bay Packers
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. Oakland Raiders
4. San Diego Chargers
5. Indianpolis Colts
6. Tampa Bay Buccanears
7. Atlanta Falcons
8. New Orleans Saints
9. Denver Broncos
10. Miami Dolphins

I've never really liked to list how good teams are though. The Patriots should probably be on there and I suppose the Chargers are ranked to high, but oh well.

Last edited by Bond : 12-04-2002 at 09:52 PM.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:44 PM   #38
The Germanator
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Perfect Stu

are you bond in disguise?

right on the money.
Haha, no, but the Pack are my 2nd favorite team...My dad grew up Wisconsin, so he has pushed me to like them a bit, I had to stay with my own hometown team though...

Old 12-04-2002, 09:50 PM   #39
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Quote:
Haha, no, but the Pack are my 2nd favorite team...My dad grew up Wisconsin, so he has pushed me to like them a bit, I had to stay with my own hometown team though...
That's right, Wisconsin pride. Did your Dad live in Green Bay? Madison? Milwaukee?

Old 12-04-2002, 09:55 PM   #40
The Germanator
Banned

He lived in Madison...he also went to a small college in Wisconsin called Lawrence , I don't know if you've heard of it or something...I went out there once, it's a great state ya got there.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:11 PM   #41
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

Greeen Bay is an odd team. On grass they are excellent. At home they are next to unbeatable. On turf they are average at best. In a dome they suck. Go figure.

Old 12-05-2002, 03:02 PM   #42
ZebraRampage

1. Green Bay Packers
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. Oakland Raiders
4. Indianapolis Colts
5. Tampa Bay Buccanears
6. Denver Broncos
7. San Diego Chargers
8. New Orleans Saints
9. Atlanta Falcons
10. Miami Dolphins

I just have one thing to say about the Eagles. Ever since the 49ers game they have shown how determined they are. Even though the Rams game ended with a 10-3 win I still think that they played well, it was mainly the fumbles that made the game low scoring, not A.J. Feeley, cause he probably would have had two TDs. So with their recievers finally catching the ball and Deuce Staley running very well, they will be even better when McNabb comes back. Their offensive line holds off the other teams defense and allows McNabb all the time in the world. Their defense should be second in the league, but with those 5 TDs that the Colts scored they lost that spot. They probably have the best secondary in the league with Dawkins, Talyor, Vincent, and Bishop. I think that once we get things together that we will do well. I'm just worried about home field advantage because if they have to play the Packers at Lambeau then we are done for.

Last edited by ZebraRampage : 12-06-2002 at 05:32 PM.

Old 12-05-2002, 08:30 PM   #43
Dragon-Fly
Duke

Location: Turn left then go up, then turn to your right and your there.
Now Playing:

Oakland Raiders first. LOL

No,no,no,

Top 5

1: Green Bay
2: Phiadelphia
3: Oakland
4: Tampa Bay
5: Indianapolis

Those are my top 5 Pics, still Mad, New England can't even be in top 10.

You can call me Cloud!!

The Rock,
That will hit you with this Little Candy Bar.

Boston Bruins will rock your world! and that's final!

Name: cloud
Town: Puck
Please send me things.

Old 12-06-2002, 05:30 PM   #44
ZebraRampage

Yes I just realized that Oakland isn't the best team. So I'm gonna change that.

Old 12-08-2002, 12:58 AM   #45
Stonecutter

Now Playing:

Ok, top ten

#1 Raiders

Gannon, rice, and garner will lead the way for the O and that's a mean defense. Janakowski is sold and the team is full of old guys who want to win. If they don't get screwed by the tuck rule they probably win the super bowl last year, this year they won't be stopped.

#2 Chargers

Good Defense + Good running game = Championships. It's that simple. I don't care how sexy throwing the ball is, if you can't run, you can't win. The rams didn't win last year because Martz started thinking too much. Shottenheimer won't have that problem.

#3 Bucks

Again with the defense. Here's another team that won't win with any razzle-dazzle but they just pound the crap out of you. If they get home field advantage in the NFC they won't lose a playoff game. If the have to play anywhere where it's less than 41 degrees out (gb/philly) then they'll fall.

#4 Eagles

What a defense what a team. Hopefully feely can put up enough offense to get them to the playoffs with a bye but hopefully he doesn't to well enough to warrant a qb controversy when mcnabb gets back.

#5 Steelers

What can't you say about Maddox (well, if he comes back and sucks there's a lot you can't say about him but lets forget that for the moment) If Maddox comes back they might be the only team that has a shot at the raiders and chargers in the AFC. The defense still kicks ass and Ward/Burras give them the kind of passing game that team hasn't had since swann/stallworth. Expect Bettis to turn it up on in the playoffs.

Here's where we hit the wall.

Next we have the two "superstar" teams.

#6 Packers #7 Falcons

I don't think either of these teams is very good, especially the falcons but 4 on the pack and 7 on the Falcons take them both to another level. The packers aren't very good. I watched them come close to losing to my bears last weekend and the bears are so banged up and worn out from losing there's no way any team should ever come close to losing to them yet if not for a fumble and a stupid lack of block by RW McQuarters the pack would have gone down 28-6 in the third quarter. The pack's defense is beatable and the offense is favre. Perhaps the best quarterback ever. If they get home field look out.

The falcons are bad. Not bengal bad (the bangles are THE WORST franchise in professional sports) not even bear bad, but they're a 15-20 ranked team with potentially the most devastating single player ever. If vick stays white hot they could take a run at the NFC championship, that would only take 3 wins.

To round out the top ten we have 3 teams that are very similar. The Saints, 9ers and Colts. All three teams try to get by with that three headed monster WR/QB/RB combo. They all have below average defenses too (actually the colts D isn't that bad stat wise but I don't consider them in the same league as the broncos/raiders/bucs/chargers/eagles et al.) None of these three are super bowl contenders but maybe just maybe one of them will sneak into their conference's' championship game.

And just for fun

#32 Bengals

GOOD GOD these guys are so awful. They can't get any kind of consistency going. Their management can't draft to save their lives. I think whoever gets the #2 pick in the draft will be the luckiest team in the league (anybody the bungles want can't possibly someone who should be on your team) I do love that TJ Houshmandezdeh guy though, what a great name.

#31 Panthers

I know they won last week, they still suck. It's especially bad when your punter is your best player

#30 Vikings

Mike Tyce=Meathead
Randy Moss=Psycho
Culpeper=Pissed at his situation

Well, when these guys are the San Antonio vikings in a few years and cullpeper is gone and moss is in jail maybe the whole world will finally realize what a moron Dennis Green was and then I can be happy

#29 Lions

When you kick off in overtime, you deserve to lose.

#28 Texans

Not bad for an expansion team but I smell another panthers situation here. Good for a few years but mortgage their entire future for a fanbase.

#27 Cardinals

I was on the Jake Plumber bandwagon for a good 3 years but for god sakes cardinal management give it up. This team really doesn't have anyone left. Thomas Jones was a huge bust and I don't think their draft pick ever signed. Oh well.

#26 Seahawks

There's no reason why this team should be bad, but yet..... I think we have another case of the supersized ego (not to be confused with the superego) of the head coach who believed he could be a GM. Again, no defense, no wins for you.

#25 Cowboys

Decent defense but not good enough, especially against the pass. Combinde this with one of the worst offensive situations in the league and you've got crap.

#24 Redskins

Wow, Steve Inferior was given a team with a great defense but he seems intent on not letting them do their business. His offense is awful. Not one good receiver among the bunch and the only quarterback he has who has anything going for him is mathewes yet he insists on playing danny "I throw the ball like a hand grenade" wurffel. Steve, it's not hard. You see that guy with the number 46 on his jersey? That's stephen davis. He's what's called a running back. Give him the ball 30 times a game and maybe you'll have a chance to win.

See you back in the NCAA in a few years.

#23 Bears

I never believed my bears were 13 and 3 good last year but to deny they were any worse than 10-6 or 9-7 takes a packer fan Everything that possibly could have gone wrong this year has. Thomas, Holdman, Terell, Tucker, Washington, Columbo all are out for the season and half of the rest of the team is banged up. Combine that with home games at U of I and not getting ANY breaks at all this year and you have the team at 3-9. I think if they draft well in april and find a quarterback (maybe sign culpeper or bulger) the could be back in the playoffs next year with a 9-7 to 11-5 record.