Go Back   GameTavern > Peanut Talk > Movies & Television

Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series
Old 10-31-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:
Default Re: The Walking Dead: The Television Series

Is it just me or was the sound quality of the last 2 episodes really really bad? What's with all the loud crickets?!? I'm having a hard time hearing what everyone's saying.
Edit: oh and the whispering. Great combination there, loud background noise and whispering people!! Congratulations, you have found another way to make the show bad.

Edit2: Ok, onto the rest of the episode. The last minutes were good, but all the stuff before that was so boring. And pointless.
AND THEY'RE STILL LOOKING FOR THE GIRL.

Last edited by Angrist : 10-31-2011 at 07:26 AM.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 AM   #2
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

Was just skimming through the comics. Looks like Shane has become a mix of Tyreese plus Rick's dark side. I wonder if it's hindering Rick's development since he comes close to killing Otis in the comic. Shane seems to be doing his dirty work. Shame about Otis. I like that actor.

Speaking of Maggie, here's how her talk with Glen happens in the comic:
http://i.imgur.com/g2zO4.jpg Heh, too bad. Guess gonna stretch things out.

But yeah, the show is getting better.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:36 AM   #3
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
Is it just me or was the sound quality of the last 2 episodes really really bad? What's with all the loud crickets?!? I'm having a hard time hearing what everyone's saying.
Edit: oh and the whispering. Great combination there, loud background noise and whispering people!! Congratulations, you have found another way to make the show bad.
Might just be you, I haven't noticed anything like that.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Teuthida
A. Naef, 1916b

Now Playing: with power

http://www.amctv.com/shows/the-walki...racter-are-you

I got T-Dog.

Quote:
In another life you were strong, and your sense of right and wrong is still a core part of who you are.
But the apocalypse has left you less sure of yourself; guilt over past actions has forced you to second-guess the decisions you make.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post
Might just be you, I haven't noticed anything like that.
It might have been the rip then. Weird, I've never had that problem before.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears

I really liked last nights episode. The pace of the show is still pretty slow, but it's picking up a little bit.

Can't stand Andrea's character:

Dale : " Do you forgive me?"
Andrea : "...I'm trying to."

Are you kidding me? *sigh*

Rick's "he talked about the deer" speech probably could have been written better.

I like where Shane's character is going though. Now I just wonder if him shaving his hair at the end symbolizes him trying to put it behind him, or if he's going to continue down a path of becoming more and more morally ambiguous.

To be fair though, he actually offered to stay and hold off the zombies while Otis got away.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:54 PM   #7
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

I've been meaning to reread the comics. I read 30 issues or so last winter before I got distracted with school. I have a feeling it's just gonna bug me.

So far none of the characters have really been fleshed out in terms of feelings, motivations, and their past. They all act like idiots, are overly dramatic. And right now in the TV Show Dale, Andrea, Carl, Carol, Sophia, Lori, and Shane are all characters that suck and I don't care if they die. The big plot devices to move the episode forward this season have been finding Sophia and Carl being shot. Rick's behaviors have become caricatures, and I just see forced drama and bad writing, not real character development.

So having said all that, Shane is actually being made into a real sonofabitch and I at least appreciate that step forward. His acting is still way over-the-top (scene outside the house by the truck when he comes back home without Otis). But Shane is the first character to actually have that "dark tone" from the comic book, because EVERYTHING ELSE in the show so far has been a sunny walk in the park.

I've been to a few messages boards/Reddit and people are freaking out about Shane. Like "OMG I can't believe he did that, that's the most crazy thing I've ever seen" freaking out. o_O

If the general public reaction to Shane killing Otis (remember, Rule #1 Cardio) is to freak out, then how would the general public react to Lori and the baby being massacred? This show is never going to go full dark.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
I like where Shane's character is going though. Now I just wonder if him shaving his hair at the end symbolizes him trying to put it behind him, or if he's going to continue down a path of becoming more and more morally ambiguous.
I thought he shaved his head because Otis ripped a chunk of his hair out, and he didn't want anyone to get wise to the fact he shot him and left him for the zombies so he could get away. I'm not trying to sound like a douche, I mean that just as a comment and not as an "are you suuuuuuuure?.

Also, I think the sound quality thing is solely the rip you got, Angrist.

This episode was definitely one of the better ones, I thought. I like what's becoming of Shane's character. Seems like he's slowly slipping into insanity - or something. At the end of this episode it gave me a thought that Shane would be the Antagonist to Rick sometime soon. Maybe by the end of the season. Then again he does seem to have totally wanted Rick and Rick's son alive, despite the intense desire to bang his wife. Who wouldn't. Chicks a babe.

I didn't find anything wrong with the deer speech. Well, it was sort of like a comment, but still. I thought it was pretty touching in a completely-cheesy way. The innocence of children, and all. Zombie apocolypse is going on all around him, kid gets shot and is close to dying, he's seen people get torn apart by the re-animated corpses of people- and the first thing he talks about is how pretty a deer was? Innocence I tells ya.

If I can ask without seeming too douchey for constantly critiquing other people's opinions (because I really don't do it with the intention of douchedom, but with the intention of conversation about why your opinions on why certain things are so bad, are so bad to you); but what seemed over-the-top to you about Shane when he got back and was standing at the truck? The dude essentially killed an innocent man, and had to stand there and watch everyone's reaction to having that dude be dead and torn apart by zombies. It's not like [Shane's actor] was wimpering and had saliva dripping from his lips as he made some moaning sound while helplessly flailing his arms or something. He wasn't pandering to the camera or breaking any fourth wall. The way he talked wasn't very theatric at all.

*joint break*

I honestly don't find the acting on the show terrible at all. I have to figure that some (especially real) people would lose a little of their personalities when a catastrophic event takes place, while others (forget name, Merle's brother/Glen) assumedly have their personality remain unchanged (the slightly jovial attitude, while not being a complete comedian) because they're more or less mentally prepared for the situation by having some type of survival training, or training in general. And don't give me a "Glen doesn't have training." The kid knew the city streets so he felt totally comfortable. Now that they're away from what he knows, I'm noticing his character looking like he's feeling more and more upset with the situation as time passes.

To me Andrea just looks like a chick in complete and utter shock. When my grandpa died a couple weeks ago that's how my dad was more or less. Less of the zombie aspect. But if you've seen anyone in total shock before, they are pretty melodramatic at times. And usually somber, quiet, and highly easy to agitate. The character of Andrea just watched her sister die, then had to put a bullet through her head, decided to kill herself, then was forced to give up that option because of some stubborn old man she doesn't even know. Is the character of Andrea not allowed to be sad? Do you want her and all other characters to be emotionless soulless dickheads who don't think about repercussions or the past? Can these characters not have flaws, break down, get scared, worried, and be extremely depressed? When faced with a traumatic situation, some people just break. Some become stronger people. Some do both.

Are we (as collective fans) so jaded by what zombie shows/movies usually are that when there are characters that act like real people it seems far-fetched to us? Does the collective populace just want another mindless zombie show that is compiled of 5 minutes of finding zombies, and 40 minutes of murder with 10 minutes of loud dialogue in between about finding and killing zombies? Where's the suspense or character building in that.

Anyways, black out your comic-shit. Some of us (probably only me) haven't read them. Granted they might not stick to it page-by-page, but still man, come on.
1.) To vigorously nod your head up and down.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
The Germanator
Banned

Now Playing: The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess

I enjoy reading Grantland's recaps of the episodes. This one points on some of the problems I have with the show maybe more eloquently than I have the time to do.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...ap-zombie-high

Old 11-02-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
Professor S
Devourer of Worlds

Now Playing: Team Fortress 2, all day everyday

I enjoy the show, but I think some of the frustration people have with it is not that it has diverged so much from the book, but that it's needlessly diverged. The greatest draw of the series is that people are the real danger, and that anyone can die at any time. So far the zombies are FAR more dangerous (I hate running/smart zombies), and I'm not worried that anyone core to the show will die! Otis just got it, but who the fuck was he? So far no one we care about has been killed, and that needs to change.

T-Dogg... I'm looking at you.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #11
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
So far no one we care about has been killed, and that needs to change.

T-Dogg... I'm looking at you.
Wait, somebody cares about T-Dawg? I think I missed something here. He's the most boring character of the show.

What I don't like is all the stupid random stuff people do. Like Dale who goes looking for 2 abled people in the middle of the night. By walking through car-wrecks... How stupid is that?
And then the scene doesn't go anywhere. Suddenly he's back at the trailer again as if nothing happened. I think they're trying to fill up some minutes.

Ok what was the little girls name? Because if they find her dead, I don't think I'll remember what she looked like. She's been missing for 3 episode, how do they expect us to still care about her? It's like the actor couldn't miss school any longer and they're waiting for her christmas break.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #12
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
She's been missing for 3 episode, how do they expect us to still care about her?

Dun dun dunnnnnnn, maybe that's the point.
World's gone to shit, someone is missing, how long do you spend looking for one person. Making it take a lot of episodes creates an emotional divide between caring for that little girl, and wanting her to die so you (as a viewer) can move the fuck on.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #13
KillerGremlin
No Pants

Now Playing: my ding-a-ling

I agree with Prof S 100%.

I want to add that in the absence of everyone's vulnerability, the show has lost its dark tone/theme.

The comic was full of love and drama between characters, and we see the TV show heading in that direction. But the impact of two characters getting together in the comic is that it was all the more worse when one of those characters died.

Typhoid, I don't have much to disagree with except to say we simply have different opinions and expectations. Maybe take comfort that I enjoyed episode 3 better than everything else in Season 2 so far.

But anything else I can add has been touched on by that awesome link that Germy posted and by Prof S' comment.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #14
Typhoid
Anthropomorphic

Now Playing:

Quote:
Otis just got it, but who the fuck was he? So far no one we care about has been killed, and that needs to change.
Well based on what others have said (about people being the real evil), I now believe Otis was simply a tool for the transition.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #15
BreakABone
Living Legend

Location: Resident of Alfred.. Yes the town named after Batman's butler
Now Playing:

Sometimes not the brightest group.

And Glenn got him some! And somehow the scene was more subtle than the comic version.

Dyne on Canada's favorite pasttime,
Quote:
I loved ramming into animals as they ran away