For all you Metroid Prime Skeptiks
Old 11-09-2002, 01:45 AM   #1
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV
Default For all you Metroid Prime Skeptiks

If there is any, have a read of this

http://cube.ign.com/articles/376/376769p1.html

Sounds great. I'm definitely going to pick this up (especially after watching the videos)!!!!

Old 11-09-2002, 02:07 AM   #2
Dyne
Or should I say.. smanger

Now Playing: Infinity Blade II, Duke Nukem Forever, Skyrim, Vanquish

I fell in love with the preview CD. The minute I heard of it I said to myself "This is going to be a good game". So it's been reserved for quite some time, and now we're in the ten-day countdown! I can't wait......... this WILL be awesome.

Old 11-09-2002, 02:15 AM   #3
Jonbo298
Freaky me Freaky you

Now Playing:

I wish I had the money for when Prime came out next week. But alas, I am searching for a job at the time. I might just have to save the suspense and greatness of it until I can buy it. But on the impressions from IGN-Sounds more than great. I think IGN just wanted to get the 'Cube people to gloat about how a PS2 editor says such great stuff about Prime. Or maybe, just for diversity. meh

Credit to Null for sig

Old 11-09-2002, 10:44 AM   #4
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

30 hours, according to Frans Impressions, and thats without all the secrets. Wow. I was expecting possibly 20 at most, but this is great...30 hours...This game is going to rock the gaming world...I cant wait.

Old 11-09-2002, 11:24 AM   #5
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason1
30 hours, according to Frans Impressions, and thats without all the secrets. Wow. I was expecting possibly 20 at most, but this is great...30 hours...This game is going to rock the gaming world...I cant wait.
So, someone from a game site said 30 hours? That translates into about 15...

Nah but still, I don't even trust them when people say it takes a certain amount of hours to beat... Well, at least not after the whole ED (what was it? 60 hours?) and SFA thing (40 I think)...

30 without secrets? I highly doubt that... I mean that's quite long for a First Person Shooting I think, right?

People: FIRST PERSON ADVENTURE!1!

Well whatever, that's long for adventure games too... I think..

But meh we'll see... I don't necesarily think the game will suck, but after all Nintendo's other major games on NGC being uhh... what's that called... dissapointing (at least to me, and dissapointing doesn't mean bad... I still liked the ones I played, but they were not nearly as good as people here and on IGN and such made them out to be... least not to me), there's no way IGN or anybody else saying anything about how good the game is will make me say "Mkay I'm gonna go out and buy the game now!"...

Now I'll stop my long rant...

Old 11-09-2002, 12:09 PM   #6
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

That link has not changed my opinion... and the horrible controlls of the demo (imo) solidified that I'm not going to buy this game.

Old 11-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #7
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGame
That link has not changed my opinion... and the horrible controlls of the demo (imo) solidified that I'm not going to buy this game.
But dosent it mean anything to you that, that Dave Z guy, a former IGNPS2 editor from the looks of it, who was skeptical of basically everything about the game, from the controls to the 1st person change, has fallen in love with it? That tells me that the first two opinons werent just baised CUBE lovers. But its just 3 peoples opinoin, but its gotta make you look at it at least a little differently.

Old 11-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #8
Perfect Stu
Knight

Now Playing: GTA4

Sounds really good. Too bad I don't have a Gamecube...

This is the game that could save the Gamecube...don't ask me to elaborate

Old 11-09-2002, 01:01 PM   #9
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Now Playing: Brawl

The game does seem interesting... but money is always a problem. Die.

Old 11-09-2002, 01:39 PM   #10
Shadow_Link
The PsYcHo

Now Playing:

I can't wait until this game is released.

It seems as though there is nothing bad about the controlls, and the game being in first person doesn't hinder the jumping and adventure aspects of the game...

And as an added bonus, this game looks the best graphically on any console at the moment, and for a few months yet (IMO). The art direction in the game is breath taking too.

If the game is anywhere near the level of Super Metroid, or if it even feels like it (which from what I have read, does feel like super metroid and is up to its level), then this game should definately have the best chance of getting game of the year, though Zelda is coming out this december in Japan . There's also Splinter Cell to contend with, and GTA: Vice city...

Old 11-09-2002, 02:24 PM   #11
Joeiss
Pinned by Dyne on Festivus

Now Playing: SOCOM: US Navy SEALS

Quote:
Originally posted by TheGame

It is kind of had to purchase and play a game when you don't own the system.

Old 11-09-2002, 04:40 PM   #12
TheGame
The Greatest One

Now Playing: Shut the hell up and quit asking me questions

Quote:
Originally posted by Joeiss
It is kind of had to purchase and play a game when you don't own the system.

lol, and lack of any games I want this fall is why I gave it up

I'll re-buy it around the time Cel-da is released... that is, if it gets outstanding scores.

Old 11-09-2002, 09:15 PM   #13
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathsHand

But meh we'll see... I don't necesarily think the game will suck, but after all Nintendo's other major games on NGC being uhh... what's that called... dissapointing (at least to me, and dissapointing doesn't mean bad... I still liked the ones I played, but they were not nearly as good as people here and on IGN and such made them out to be... least not to me), there's no way IGN or anybody else saying anything about how good the game is will make me say "Mkay I'm gonna go out and buy the game now!"...

Now I'll stop my long rant...
Unfortunately it's the hype that's been generated about Nintendo's major games that imply that they are perfect whereby no games developer is perfect, which is why some people may have been disappointed with some of the Gc's game.

I don't see how I can get disappointed with Metroid, because it's basically a new game, with a new look. I saw Samus rolling round in the ball in like a 2d style, and overall it looked so fun(videos on IGN). Of course there were many other videos, but I won't go in detail with them. I could roll around all day

I was disappointed with SMS coz I kept on comparing it with the experience I had with SM64. It looked similar, and played similar, but it didn't feel ANYTHING like when I played SM64.

When I stopped thinking about SM64, I began to appreciate SMS a lot more. Which is kind of ironic. Release the first true fully 3d platform/adventure game with a third person perspective, and have this burden over your head for the rest of your life, of developing games to pure perfection. And it's not just the NIntendo fanboy's who are responsible, moreso it's the hype that's generated about how Nintendo games are kiddy. So if there is one flaw in the gameplay, it can be made clear to the public because there is a "kiddy" storyline with "kiddy" characters. So the only thing left to talk about is the gameplay.

Nintendo have a very difficult reputation to live up to each time it realeases a new Zelda or a new Mario. The problem is that Zelda OOT and Mario were groundbreaking games, that changed the way games looked and played, and now people expect that type of outcome for the next series, and the next series.

Personally speaking, I welcome the NEW changes. Especially Celda. If it was like the SW demo, then I could see myself getting bored with the whole serious look as I played it on the N64 with OOT. The idea of an animated Zelda game sounds like a great idea. At first I didn't like the idea at all, but after a while I realise that I prefer this, to a serious Zelda game. Because it's a whole new look, and it won't be so comparable to OOT (graphically and atmospherically).

Old 11-09-2002, 10:12 PM   #14
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life

i'll rent this game and beat it in a weekend. like DH said, whenever a game journalist says the length of a game, you usually divide that by 2 and thats how long it really is. such is the case especially with IGN, after that whole ED and SFA thing (60 hours, 50 hours, ha) i just cant believe them when they say a games length. sometimes i wonder if the people at IGN are just slow, if it seriously took them 60 hours to beat ED then they have problems. granted, this game does look good, but i've been let down before by the exaggerated hype that most game journalists give. "Resident Evil is an easy 15-20 hours and thats without the secrets!" yeah, sure thing IGN

Old 11-10-2002, 01:47 AM   #15
D-realJos
OrioN

Now Playing: With my nutz!
Exclamation

The Game
"That link has not changed my opinion... and the horrible controlls of the demo (imo) solidified that I'm not going to buy this game."

Not that I care if you buy the game or not, but I just felt like commenting. Besides, it's time I get on your case like you've always been on mine.

Horrible controlls are those that hamper a game, get into the way of gameplay, and make the game occasionally unplayable by it's own nature. Not the nature of another game, it's OWN nature.

Would the controlls hamper Halo? You bet!
Hamper Golden eye? Yes
Hamper ANY FPS? absolutely.

Metroid Prime on the other hand, plays differently, it's controlls exploit and revolve around the nature of the game. You wouldn't be rushing through MP looking to claim or dodge head short, I believe.

So, will the controlls hamper the game. NO! (well, not unless retardation is a factor)

I've seen numerous videos, where various players were ripping through the game, battling enemies, aiming, jumping and what's not with absolutely no problem at all. Clearly the controlls become second-nature after a while. Second-nature is not a way one would describe horrible controlls. It IS however, a way to describe controlls you become quite comfortable with.

I wonder if it had anything at all to do with the fact that you spent a life-changing set of minutes with de demo.

Game, if numerous people manage to manuver and handle the controlls perfectly and with incredible ease, I'm inclined to believe it's something ANY gamer can do. Unless of course, you're a bit slow. These aren't gifted people, they are "normal" gamers like you and I.

I understand it's YOUR opinion, but ask yourself, could a player handle the controlls that seamlessly if they were horrible as you said or had any real problems at all? Maybe, the problem isn't the game/controlls, but .... *GASP*....it's you? :eek:

(let's just hope it's not the retardation thing I mentioned)

Case in point, there's a MASSIVE difference between horrible controlls and different controlls.

bobcat
"Nintendo have a very difficult reputation to live up to each time it realeases a new Zelda or a new Mario. The problem is that Zelda OOT and Mario were groundbreaking games, that changed the way games looked and played, and now people expect that type of outcome for the next series, and the next series"

I'd say you hit the nail on the head pretty well there my good man.

Sadly, you are so correct. The result is that people end up expecting something completely revolutionary each time. While it's possible to have some revolutionary ideas/elements within games like SMS and Zelda for instance, expecting that same feeling you got when you played the truly revolutionary OoT or SM64 for the first time, is pretty much expecting the impossible. From that perspective, it's easy to label certain games as "disappointing" or inferior to their predecessors when in fact they have made significant advances over the previous efforts.

As for Metroid Prime, I think it's design is revolutionary. This game is the first of it's kind, one that attempts to "flawless" conveys 3D adventure and exploration elements from a first person perspective, at the same time, immersing the player in the surrounding environment, and the role of the heroine(Samus). It's gameplay on the other end is evolution at it's finest... at least, that's the impression I got so far from those who played more than a mere store demo.

I won't stand to be late with this game like I have been with some others. I already pre-ordered.
-- John 10:10

Blessed is he who hath tasted, understands, and can testify that this is true. Glory to God!

Last edited by D-realJos : 11-10-2002 at 02:07 AM.