Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

Nintendo Switch
Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
Blix
Harbinger of Cake

Now Playing:
Smile Nintendo Switch

Pretty neat stuff there, if you ask me. If they have good third party support and keep it I'll make it my main console. Hopefully they don't have the dryspell of games the Wii U had in the beginning because that was critical. So what do you think?

Re: Nintendo Switch
Old 10-27-2016, 08:12 AM   #2
Vampyr
Abra Kadabra

Now Playing: Xenogears
Default Re: Nintendo Switch

I have no idea how successful it's going to be. I think it will sell better than the Wii U, because if nothing else their first video was super clear as to what the device was, and I think at this point the failure of the Wii U may actually work in the Switch's favor. Everyone, even the general public, knows what the Wii U is now and why it failed to begin with, so I think people are paying more attention this time around, just to see what Nintendo does.

I'll definitely be getting one, if for no other reason than to play the best version of Breath of Wild available.

I'm mainly interested to see how games that were previously mobile only transition to the Switch. I think there's going to be some pressure on games like Pokemon to be bigger and better now that they have to be on a console platform, and the idea of playing a real Pokemon game on my TV is extremely exciting.

I am sad to see that the DS era is apparently coming to an end. The clam shell design has been a standard thing with Nintendo handhelds since the SP, and I've become so accustomed to having two screens that going back to one feels like a step back.

I'm also assuming that the Switch won't have 3D like the 3DS does. With the New 3DS I actually started using that feature pretty frequently and it worked really well. Kind of sad to see that go, too.

Old 10-27-2016, 06:35 PM   #3
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyr View Post

I'll definitely be getting one, if for no other reason than to play the best version of Breath of Wild available.

I wouldnt just assume that the Switch Version of Breath of Wild will be better than the Wii U version. It was designed to be a Wii U game after all, and didnt Nintendo say there would not be ANY graphical upgrades on Switch? We still dont know if the screen on Switch will be touch, either ( I assume it will be, but we dont know for sure). Whatever functionality Nintendo had in mind with the Wii U touchpad may not work the same on the Switch.

On a related now, when you take the Switch out of its docking cradle thing, does it ALWAYS turn immediately into a handheld? Or can you taken it out and play it using the Switch screen and your TV screen at the same time, similar to how Wii U works? Another question to ponder....

I think the success at least when it comes to 3rd party support may depend on how powerful it is, as much as I hate to say that. It sounds like its using this Nvidia Tegra Chip, but nobody knows if its the Tegra X1 or the Tegra X2 which is not really released yet and suppoused quite powerful, while the X1 is apparently not very powerful, not even up to snuff with Xbox one / PS4...If companies cant port games over to Switch without major graphical downgrades, I doubt they will even bother, and we will have a similar problem that the WiiU had.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1 View Post
I wouldnt just assume that the Switch Version of Breath of Wild will be better than the Wii U version. It was designed to be a Wii U game after all, and didnt Nintendo say there would not be ANY graphical upgrades on Switch?
I remember them saying something like "both versions will play pretty much the same." Which could mean anything.
The Wii U seems to be struggling to run the game at times; it's only logical for the Switch version to run better.
I'm thinking of something like 1080p60 on Switch vs 720p30 on Wii U.

Nintendo has stated very clearly that the console can only stream to the TV when in the dock. No wireless transmissions like the Wii U had (I'm guessing that technology was way too expensive).
The screen is rumored to be a capacative multi-touch screen. The Joy-Cons are rumored to have motion sensing in them. And an IR-sensor like the Wiimotes had, which could let you play touch games on the TV, using IR-pointing.

Did you notice that both Joy-Cons each have their own set of shoulder buttons? They're inaccessible when clicked into the Switch, but they'll be very useful for multiplayer.

There's no way that this machine will be on par with PS4/XB1. Not with that size and not for a reasonable price.
All ports to the systems will have to be downgraded. But it won't be very drastic, not like with the Wii U.

As for first party titles, I'm sure Nintendo will do a much better job than with the Wii U. They acknowledged that they had too few games coming out for that and they promised to do better with Switch (NX). And unless they come out with a separate portable (which would be a blunder), all the 3DS developers will make games for Switch.
AAA third party support will still be tricky, but I'm sure we'll get more than on Wii U.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
Jason1
J-Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrist View Post
The Wii U seems to be struggling to run the game at times; it's only logical for the Switch version to run better.
I'm thinking of something like 1080p60 on Switch vs 720p30 on Wii U.

Where did you see that the game is struggling to run on the WiiU? I havent heard that. Not saying your wrong, I would just like to see a source. When has a 1st party Nintendo title ever not run well on a Nintendo system? I just find that a little hard to believe.

Old 11-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason1 View Post
Where did you see that the game is struggling to run on the WiiU? I havent heard that. Not saying your wrong, I would just like to see a source. When has a 1st party Nintendo title ever not run well on a Nintendo system? I just find that a little hard to believe.
Hm, when I mean struggling, I mean it's most likely running at 720p30 with framerate drops. I saw it in E3 gameplay footage. Nothing dramatic, but to me it shows that Nintendo is ready to move to stronger hardware.

If the Switch is 2 or 3x stronger than Wii U, I'm expecting 1080p60 graphics.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #7
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Now Playing: Brawl

I'm definitely getting one. And it's a gamble, but I think it's the smartest thing Nintendo can do. They can't compete with Sony and Microsoft in regular home console sales.

Old 12-11-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
Shadow Fox
Official GameTavern Ninja

Now Playing: SWTOR, Xenoblade

Getting one. Possibly two.

Yes, I still lurk. Deal with it.

Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #9
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Fox View Post
Getting one. Possibly two.

Yes, I still lurk. Deal with it.
whoa

Old 12-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
Seth
wants a yacht

Now Playing: BF4, PubG, MrioKrt7, CS:GO, BF1942, AssettoCorsa

Wait so everyone's probably seen this,

Old 12-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #11
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

god, i hate jimmy fallon.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:39 AM   #12
Angrist
Dutch guy

Now Playing:

At least he seemed genuinely surprised and excited by the Switch. Unlike his Super Mario Run farce.

But in general, that was pretty good marketing from Nintendo.

I found the exact same explosion running on Wii U hardware, which makes for a perfect framerate comparison. It shows that at its worst, the Wii U has 1/2 the framerate of that on Switch. Let's hope the Switch is a good deal stronger than the U.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn9JL8mKdVw

Old 01-11-2017, 09:09 PM   #13
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

Tomorrow night is the night!

Old 01-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #14
Jason1
J-Dub

20 mins...im so excited!

Old 01-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #15
BlueFire
The World Ends with Poo

I had mixed feelings about the actual presentation. My first thought was "gosh, the joy-con looks really small." I'm not really sold on 1,2 Switch. It's the new normie game -- the Wii Sports for the Switch. It could be fun, though.

I wish they spent more time showcasing a variety of 3rd party games. Instead, we just got short trailers that didn't really show gameplay. I know the titles they showed are big in Japan (Shin Megami Tensei and other JRPGs). I just hope the 3rd party support is strong for this system.

With that being said, holy shit @ Mario and Zelda. Splatoon 2 looks great. But I was really wowed by the Mario trailer. It looks so fun.

And the Zelda trailer was sooooo good. I think I've watched it like 3-4 times, lol. What did you guys think?