Go Back   GameTavern > House Specials > Video Gaming

IGN reviews SMS
Old 08-23-2002, 11:18 AM   #1
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Now Playing: Life
Default IGN reviews SMS

Presentation-
The combination of poor FMVs, zero story value, poor character design, and a "vacation" theme is rather a shocker. The focus was clearly on gameplay only. 6.0

Graphics-
Mario Sunshine actually takes advantage of GameCube for quite a few pleasing visual touches. Brilliant water, particle effects, and draw distance add up. Bad art and textures damage it. 8.0

Sound-
A few catchy tunes, some fitting level themes, and Dolby support. But, things get a little dirty with some bad interactive music and voice-overs. 7.0

Gameplay-
The definition of pure fun. The controls and level design come together beautifully for a must-play game. The camera, however, is a major nuisance. 9.0

Lasting Appeal-
The main quest is lengthy, and after-hours with going for all the 120 Shines keeps on kicking. Very entertaing, but only the most hardcore of fans will play through it twice. 9.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 9.4

Not bad I guess, i'll still buy it the first day. The review was written by Fran Mirabella III. if enough people wanna read the full review i'll post it for ya.

Old 08-23-2002, 11:23 AM   #2
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV

Damn I was expecting a lot better, but it's Mario, and I'll buy it coz I love Mario games.

Old 08-23-2002, 11:44 AM   #3
gekko
Knight

Now Playing:

Fran's going critical. That's what he should do when he reviews it, but now the tons of stupid Nintendo fanboys won't think it's a good game cause something's not perfect.

Old 08-23-2002, 12:24 PM   #4
bobcat
KOF King

Now Playing: Street Fighter IV

Quote:
Originally posted by gekko
Fran's going critical. That's what he should do when he reviews it, but now the tons of stupid Nintendo fanboys won't think it's a good game cause something's not perfect.
U got a point there

Old 08-23-2002, 01:03 PM   #5
Old Skool
Banned

Now Playing:

This is about the first review I feel has got it right where it comes to SMS the graphics are not that good yet some sites still felt the need (Or should we say the Nintendo push) to mark them up higher then they should have been but the game still gets top marks cuss it plays so well. Well done IGN you done at lest one thing right this year.

Oh and I do not really thing this will stop any one buying the game after all 9.4 is still 9.4.

Old 08-23-2002, 03:32 PM   #6
Jason1
J-Dub

Now Playing: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Yes, it looks like they got it right, even though we all wish it didnt really have the problems mentioned. From the Demo, the camera was annoying. The textures arent that good. IGN speaks the truth here.

Old 08-23-2002, 03:41 PM   #7
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

Now Playing: Yo Mama

Well, 9.4 is nothing to be ashamed of, I expect at least that to a 9.8. But seeing as they are getting more and more critical, especialy with Nintendo games, things they once though should be overlooked, are included.

But honestly what was his @$$ when he did presentation. Is it really that bad?

"zero story value...and a "vacation" theme is rather a shocker"

Did they expect much of a story, most mario games dont have one. I dont see whats wrong when the game is just doing what it has done before. Its like they suddenly expect it to have one when they know it wont, so they say thats bad.

And the vacation thing a shocker? How long have they known about SMS? They did go to E3, no? Oviously they are on a vacation.

But overall, its one of the most fair reviews Ive seen.

Old 08-23-2002, 03:48 PM   #8
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Fran is a professional video game writer, he plays games for a living. its his job to find the bad things (and good things) in a game and expose them to the public. he also mentions many times in his review that the good FAR out ways the bad in sms. so fear not, its nothing to worry about.

Old 08-23-2002, 03:53 PM   #9
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

Im just confused about presentation, as he is a profesional, he should know these things before hand. I guess he is trying to make it how the average gamer who dosnt know mario is on a vacation would see it.

Old 08-23-2002, 04:09 PM   #10
DarkMaster
I am not a smart person

Quote:
Originally posted by GameKinG
Im just confused about presentation, as he is a profesional, he should know these things before hand. I guess he is trying to make it how the average gamer who dosnt know mario is on a vacation would see it.
your not alone with that, the presentation is the most confusing part for me too. 6.0 is way too low IMO. mario has never really had an amazing in-depth story so its no surprise to see sms have a very little story as well. and why is he complaining about the tropical vacation theme? i see no problem with that, its a fun change from past marios. and i think poor FMVs are better than no FMVs. sometimes i really question IGN's writers....

Old 08-23-2002, 04:17 PM   #11
Bond
Cheesehead

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by GameKinG
Well, 9.4 is nothing to be ashamed of, I expect at least that to a 9.8. But seeing as they are getting more and more critical, especialy with Nintendo games, things they once though should be overlooked, are included.

But honestly what was his @$$ when he did presentation. Is it really that bad?

"zero story value...and a "vacation" theme is rather a shocker"

Did they expect much of a story, most mario games dont have one. I dont see whats wrong when the game is just doing what it has done before. Its like they suddenly expect it to have one when they know it wont, so they say thats bad.

And the vacation thing a shocker? How long have they known about SMS? They did go to E3, no? Oviously they are on a vacation.

But overall, its one of the most fair reviews Ive seen.
I believe they are being more critical on sequels, not Nintendo games in general.

And the shocker thing was most likely sarcasm.

In any case, I'm still buying Super Mario Sunshine.

Old 08-23-2002, 05:14 PM   #12
DeathsHand
Village Idiot

Now Playing: Go Fish

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkMaster

your not alone with that, the presentation is the most confusing part for me too. 6.0 is way too low IMO. mario has never really had an amazing in-depth story so its no surprise to see sms have a very little story as well. and why is he complaining about the tropical vacation theme? i see no problem with that, its a fun change from past marios. and i think poor FMVs are better than no FMVs. sometimes i really question IGN's writers....
Presentation should be higher just cuz Mario games never have a good story or anything? Sounds like, to me, that it shouldn't make SMS's presentation score higher, but it should make the other mario game's presentation scores low too

Just cuz we're used to it, doesn't mean it deserves a higher score... like I hear that the game has a pretty crappy camera system... and I heard people complaining about Mario 64 being crappy too... Does that mean a reviewer person should go "It has a bad camera system, but it was like that before so it gets a PERFECT 10!!!11"... no, it should be more like "It has a bad camera system like Mario 64. Couldn't they have taken the time to make it better?" Or something

Bah I don't care... Although I might just rent the game... not cuz of reviews, but because I have no money...

Old 08-23-2002, 06:26 PM   #13
GameKinG
KinG of GameTavern

But a story kind of game just isnt what mario is, they seem to have a universal scale for all game no matter what genre or type.

I cant really think of a good analogy, but its like saying there arent enough guns in game A when in past games its never really had a lot, because thats not the focus (i.e. not a shooter).

Note, I said I could not think of a better case...

Old 08-23-2002, 07:35 PM   #14
Heyyoudvd
Viscount

Now Playing:

Check out SMS' s score at www.gamerankings.com

It's currently the 13 highest ranked game there across all platforms (including PC). It's 1 spot AHEAD of Mario 64, and 5 spots AHEAD of Halo.

That's an incredible score.

Old 08-23-2002, 08:14 PM   #15
Xantar
Retired *********

Now Playing:

Quote:
Originally posted by Bond

And the shocker thing was most likely sarcasm.
If you read the review, you'll see that Fran was not being sarcastic. He said that he misses the old fire themed world, slippery ice themed world, world in the air etc. setup of the old Mario games. Mario games are about "nostalgia" he believes.

Which I personally think is hogwash. I knew the game was going to get criticism for trying something different no matter how small. Just you watch. I'm betting the review of Metroid Prime is going to complain about the lack of a wall jump.

Currently: Toy Story 3 reviewed